Grats and alcohol r.c.i.

postmeome

just back off brilliance eastern med oct 2011.

bar bill 1000 dollars ,150 dollars tips. (coffee 30 dollars,4.50dollars tips:o)

if someone went to the bar for a glass of water every time that i went and got 2 coffees from windjammer,zero tips...is it fair:eek:

You have cruised 3 or 4 times before with RCCL so how the tipping works isn't new to you is it..so I am confused as to what you are trying to say exactly in your post.:confused:

Cruise lines seem to base their salaries and tipping on the American model. Service staff here, waiters, waitesses, bartenders, assistants, etc are very frequently paid a "guaranteed" minimum wage which is much less than similar positioned employees receive their compensation in the UK.

To make up the difference automatic tips are frequently put into place to help the business owners keep their overhad costs down. Theorectically, the costs of a meal or drink here should be less than the UK in a similar establishment, less the tip percentage. I have no way to verify this as I have yet to experience the UK, unfortunately.

We don't make the rules here, but try to help understand how the tips work.:)

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. You can't expect to bring your culture with you when you travel- that's not the way things work.

If you like how things are done at home, well then you might be happier there.

last week i was in spain, italy ,greece and turkey on brilliance of the seas,i have traveled most of europe,caribean including cuba,us and africa in past 20 years

You have cruised 3 or 4 times before with RCCL so how the tipping works isn't new to you is it..so I am confused as to what you are trying to say exactly in your post.:confused:

what i am trying to say is,a gratuity is a service charge it is not an extra 15% on alcohol or specialty coffee so anyone who goes to the bar and asks for a glass of water gets the same service but does not pay for the service .

what i am trying to say is,a gratuity is a service charge it is not an extra 15% on alcohol or specialty coffee so anyone who goes to the bar and asks for a glass of water gets the same service but does not pay for the service .

But it´s pretty easy, I´m paying the same 15% gratuity on my water order, like you do for your beer order - nothing unfair about it:p

15% of 0$ =0$:p:D

Water and coffee, if you get it in the Windjammer, or any dining venue is already tipped to the person who served you via the auto or prepaid tip structure.

The bartender truly serves it to you gratis.

There is nothing you can do about the 15% for the purchase of drinks for sale unless you decide to stop cruising. The tip policy is clearly stated before you sail. It's your choice to not cruise or accept their terms and climb aboard. It's not a hidden charge.

I would encourage you to make your statement by not booking another cruise if it means this much to you.

You seem to be arguing just for the pleasure of it now.

Going from point A to point B on a ship = fee;

Going from point A to point B by swimming = free;

I guess you need to start swimming:D

This is by far the most bizzare thread i've ever read on CC. If threads were cruises, it would be the cruise to nowhere!

Edit: OP - you could buy bottled water from bars/minibar to ensure an auto tip is given to the server/waiter, if it makes you feel better?

It is a service charge of a percentage of the service rendered, there is a service charge for water too. 15% of 0.00 is just 0

15% of beer at 2.00 is 30cents

how can they charge a percentage of zero??

On behalf of fellow Englishmen - Yes this is a new concept - We do not tip when we go into a pub/bar and order a drink (generally)

However we know that as a US line we act 'when in Rome'...so we tip....but the OP did not (apparently)

We may not tip in a pub, but I always bought, and buy when I go back to England, a drink for the barman.

Then buy a bottled water. Tip automatically added. All are happy.

I always add a little extra onto my martini tip (which is already about $1.50 at 15%), and they always make a B-line for me the second I sit down. Anyone requesting water or who has a soda card has to wait, even if they've ordered first. That's what you're paying for, and I for one don't mind it.

just back off brilliance eastern med oct 2011.

bar bill 1000 dollars ,150 dollars tips. (coffee 30 dollars,4.50dollars tips:o)

if someone went to the bar for a glass of water every time that i went and got 2 coffees from windjammer,zero tips...is it fair:eek:

It's part of the game, take it or leave it. :rolleyes: How was your dining-room service, dare I ask? :eek:

I didn't get what OP was saying until this. I "get" it, but basically, it is what it is (deep, huh? ;)). You are right, gratuity IS a service charge, but it is also based on a percentage of the charge. So like others have said, 15% of $0 will always be $0. However, believe it or not, I HAVE left a tip for water before, if I'm going back over and over for water or anything else free...... So in that case, I tipped for the service, not for the percentage of the cost.....

Archived