Mid-Balcony or Forward Balcony?

kculater

I will booking this week a cruise on Serenade of the Seas. I normally have a mid-balcony when I cruise. Is there any difference between the mid-balcony or forward balcony? Would I feel the ship rocking more in the forward balcony? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kim

when I was on serenade, I always felt a little funny towards the front of the ship. Not really sick but uncomfortable enough that I was glad my room was further back. Beautiful ship though, you will enjoy her !!!

It will depend on the seas....the front of the ship takes the brunt of any wave-action...so it there's alot of up and down motion, you will perceive it more in the front....

I like the mid-ship area simply because it's near to the central stairs and elevators! Sure makes life easier if you don't have to hoof it up and down those extremely long hallways! They're long enough to be a pain, but not really long enough to "burn calories" as some believe!!!

Done both - once on Brilliance (foreward) and once on Serenade (middle). Forward there was definitely more up and down (pitching). But it was not bad. We actually enjoyed it when falling asleep. We've noted the number of people who comment on motion when in theater who are probably not feeling that mid-ship.

One motion factor that position foreward, mid or aft won't help is if the ship is running parallel to larger swells. So side ot side (roll) might be more - everywhere. But if really bad stabilizers help with that. I've wondered a few times if some sort of wings on the bulbous prow might not help with pitching motion like stabilizers help with roll.

Other factor about balcony foreward would be spray. Forward you are not screened by the lifeboat cover so higher up (deck 9) helps a lot. Mid-ship even deck 7 is screened and would be far enough back except in the heaviest seas. We were deck 9 foreward and got spray on balcony a few times in mid-atlantic even in seas only 10-12 feet.

Sailed Serenade to Alaska a few years ago and was in a midship balcony on the hump.

Woke up a couple of mornings to a bit of nausea. It was on the 2 sea days that we were not sheltered by land on each side, so we were rolling side to side.

I must say though that I was fine all other times, except when we were in the forward

theatre area.

Because of that I would never have a forward room.

Archived