Vegetarians hung out to dry by 2.0 changes.

Nemspy

I Googled This, I guess its just one side of the story:

From http://www.carbwire.com/

Vegans Have Lower IQ Than Meat-Eaters, Study Shows

Filed under: Study — @ December 20, 2006

A rather startling study claiming vegetarians tend to be smarter, female, and have higher positions of authority in society than their meat-eating counterparts. Oh really! Let’s just see about that one.

Dr. Catharane R. Gale, Senior Research Fellow at the Medical Research Council Epidemiology Resource Center in Southampton, Great Britain, and her fellow researchers observed 8170 adults over the age of 30 who had participated as youngsters 20 years ago in the 1970 British Cohort Study to see what relation, if any, there was to being a vegetarian as a 30-year old adult with the IQ level of the participants when they were tested at 10 years old.

The problem with this study is that a “vegetarian” in this study does NOT include vegans who eschew all animal products, but it DOES include people who claim to be vegetarians yet still eat chicken and fish. HUH?!

Here are the IQ levels in each group:

- Meat eaters not in vegetarian group – 95.5% of the study – 100

- Vegetarian group without vegans – 4.3% of the study – 105

- Vegan subgroup from vegetarians – 0.1% of the study – 95

Why was NO DIFFERENCE in the IQ level of those who were true “vegetarians” and the “almost vegetarians” who ate chicken or fish. If it was the vegetarianism that made them smarter, then wouldn’t the meat eaters in that group score lower on the IQ test than their genuine vegetarian peers?

Also, what’s with the substantial drop in IQ of the vegan group–the most extreme kind of vegetarian there is? Actually, a vegan is nothing more than a vegetarian who chooses not to eat any food that comes from an animal, so why was there such a wide disparity in intelligence dipping below even the meat eaters? Isn’t that the REAL story of this study beyond everything else?

Not exactly an objective post though is it - read the wording and how it mocks the whole idea and then picks apart specific parts of the info to push its own point of view. You have to look at these things critically. You'll note it makes no attempt to refute the study that shows vegetarians have higher IQ's but picks out the statistically insignificant extremely minor sub-group (vegans) to argue their point. Given that vegans are .1% of the study, if you get one particularly dim vegan you've thrown off the entire average. Singling vegans out is like cherry-picking out vegetarians who were born in the first week of March because that group had the lower outliers in your IQ scale to prove your point.

What am I? Your google slave? They are pretty easy to find it you bother.

Here's one example - there's many more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6180753.stm

Again, I don't think this means that vegetarianism is the hallmark of intelligence and "the smart thing to do" - I am not a vegetarian and could NEVER become one. I just think it means that people who are thoughtful tend to arrive at, rightly or wrongly, opinions and world views that buck the trend. Similar to the way Atheists tend to be intelligent. Whether you agree with that viewpoint or not, it's arrived at by not simply "just going with it" and accepting the hive mentality.

I had NO idea that vegetarians were atheists!!!! The things you learn on Cruise Critic! :cool:

What am I? Your google slave?

Similar to the way Atheists tend to be intelligent.

Bad timing, I already beat you to it :D

Actually, you were the one quoting it.. seems like you quoted it without having anything to back it up.. possibly based on your own stereotypical perceptions.. I guess that makes YOU (in your own words) "just going with it" and accepting the hive mentality.

Go for it. I have heaps of ground up cow in my freezer right now as well as sliced up chicken, pigs and cows ground up into Vienna frankfurts etc. Yum.

Good I will bring you more moo as I now have to work on my intelligence so I will be out veggie shopping........

If only it were just that easy to fix gullible:rolleyes:

Bad timing, I already beat you to it :D

Actually, you were the one quoting it.. seems like you quoted it without having anything to back it up.. possibly based on your own stereotypical perceptions.. I guess that makes YOU (in your own words) "just going with it" and accepting the hive mentality.

I DO just go with it - I'm not a vegetarian. Why would I stereotype myself?

Some of these replies are "odd", having a true vegetarian option is not unusual, its an industry NORM. A STANDARD. You don't ever get on an airplane, or walk into restaurant (including Guys!!), or go to a banquet (eg wedding) and NOT see a vegetarian meal option.

The original poster isn't asking for some far-out, crazy extremist thing he asked for a freaking veggie burger at a burger joint. Hardly unusual or extremist.

And yes I eat cows.

AGREED! Having veggy burgers available is pretty much the standard norm at most restaurants these days, so why not on Carnival?

And, adding more non-meat alternatives to include vegetarian fare can also be looked upon as adding to the healthy eating or spa menu choices.

I don't think vegetarians believe that Carnival should cater to them with their menus, but perhaps just adding a couple of varied and veggy friendly options on a daily basis would not only appease them, but others who are trying to eat healthy as well!

AGREED! Having veggy burgers available is pretty much the standard norm at most restaurants these days, so why not on Carnival?

And, adding more non-meat alternatives to include vegetarian fare can also be looked upon as adding to the healthy eating or spa menu choices.

I don't think vegetarians believe that Carnival should cater to them with their menus, but perhaps just adding a couple of varied and veggy friendly options on a daily basis would not only appease them, but others who are trying to eat healthy as well!

They have veggie burgers available according to John Healds blog.......just not at Guys. There are plenty of veggie options on board......

They have veggie burgers available according to John Healds blog.......just not at Guys. There are plenty of veggie options on board......

But once the burger area turns into Guy's the veggie burger goes away right? Thats what I was trying to figure out...or thats what I thought I heard anyway.

But once the burger area turns into Guy's the veggie burger goes away right? Thats what I was trying to figure out...or thats what I thought I heard anyway.

Well according to the earlier posts from Johns blog he said that Guys doesn't serve veggie burgers but they are still available along with many other vegetarian offerings in the lido buffet.....

I Googled This, I guess its just one side of the story:

From http://www.carbwire.com/

Vegans Have Lower IQ Than Meat-Eaters, Study Shows

Filed under: Study — @ December 20, 2006

A rather startling study claiming vegetarians tend to be smarter, female, and have higher positions of authority in society than their meat-eating counterparts. Oh really! Let’s just see about that one.

Dr. Catharane R. Gale, Senior Research Fellow at the Medical Research Council Epidemiology Resource Center in Southampton, Great Britain, and her fellow researchers observed 8170 adults over the age of 30 who had participated as youngsters 20 years ago in the 1970 British Cohort Study to see what relation, if any, there was to being a vegetarian as a 30-year old adult with the IQ level of the participants when they were tested at 10 years old.

The problem with this study is that a “vegetarian” in this study does NOT include vegans who eschew all animal products, but it DOES include people who claim to be vegetarians yet still eat chicken and fish. HUH?!

Here are the IQ levels in each group:

- Meat eaters not in vegetarian group – 95.5% of the study – 100

- Vegetarian group without vegans – 4.3% of the study – 105

- Vegan subgroup from vegetarians – 0.1% of the study – 95

Why was NO DIFFERENCE in the IQ level of those who were true “vegetarians” and the “almost vegetarians” who ate chicken or fish. If it was the vegetarianism that made them smarter, then wouldn’t the meat eaters in that group score lower on the IQ test than their genuine vegetarian peers?

Also, what’s with the substantial drop in IQ of the vegan group–the most extreme kind of vegetarian there is? Actually, a vegan is nothing more than a vegetarian who chooses not to eat any food that comes from an animal, so why was there such a wide disparity in intelligence dipping below even the meat eaters? Isn’t that the REAL story of this study beyond everything else?

What am I? Your google slave? They are pretty easy to find it you bother.

Here's one example - there's many more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6180753.stm

Again, I don't think this means that vegetarianism is the hallmark of intelligence and "the smart thing to do" - I am not a vegetarian and could NEVER become one. I just think it means that people who are thoughtful tend to arrive at, rightly or wrongly, opinions and world views that buck the trend. Similar to the way Atheists tend to be intelligent. Whether you agree with that viewpoint or not, it's arrived at by not simply "just going with it" and accepting the hive mentality.

How is it that nearly every thread on these boards becomes about who is better than who??? :confused:

I need a cruise :rolleyes:

Oh wait, I have one in less than two weeks. :D And I plan to eat meat with my vegetables and I don't think I'll be eating any burgers..Guy's or otherwise.

The veggie burgers will still be available (according to John Heald)..probably moving them to the deli with the hotdogs. So, if it really breaks your heart to not have a veggie burger available at Guy's...go to the deli, get the fake burger, walk around the corner to Guy's, get a real burger, throw away the real burger (or just get a bun w/ toppings) and put the fake burger on the bun...voila!

The veggie burgers will still be available (according to John Heald)..probably moving them to the deli with the hotdogs. So, if it really breaks your heart to not have a veggie burger available at Guy's...go to the deli, get the fake burger, walk around the corner to Guy's, get a real burger, throw away the real burger (or just get a bun w/ toppings) and put the fake burger on the bun...voila!

That helps! I thought they were going away completely...my DD doesnt care where on the ship they are located as long as she can get one. Thanks!

All I can say is everyone knows what's available before they book any crusie line, or they should research and find out. They have a choice to book or not. The cruiselines (or any business for that matter) are going to give the majority of the customers what they want. Unfortunately, this will not please all the customers. Being overly sensitive to our own personal preferences and agendas will not change that.

When it comes to food, not everyone is ever going to be satisfied nor can Carnival please everyone. There are many things I do not like, but there is enough that I can find that I do like, to not even give it a second thought. I'm not going to complain about the new Mexican offerings just because I do not like Mexican food, or the new bars because I do not drink, I know there are plenty of people who do like those things.

If Carnival already has a veggie burger at the buffet, they probably figure they cannot do anything different at Guy's so why have it there too and duplicate? I am hearing the burgers at Guy's are not the same as those at the buffet/grill area, hence the difference. JMHO :)

If Carnival already has a veggie burger at the buffet, they probably figure they cannot do anything different at Guy's so why have it there too and duplicate? I am hearing the burgers at Guy's are not the same as those at the buffet/grill area, hence the difference. JMHO :)

The veg burger is currently at the Grill (not on the normal buffet line)...which is being replaced by Guys.

So it wouldnt be duplicated.

And sounds like the answer is there from BamaCruiser 20 that the veg burger and hot dogs are being relocated.

I wish we all could be a little bit more tolerant. To become a vegetarian is a personal choice. No one has a right to berate another for this choice. I became a vegetarian about 3 years ago for ethical reasons. My boyfriend is a meat eater and that is his choice. We actually just cruised about 3 weeks ago. I never went hungry and , in fact, gained 3 lbs. :-/

Vegetarians will not go hungry on Carnival cruise ships but the original post was about the new burger joint and it's lack of vegetarian options. It would be nice to have a good vegetarian " burger " offered.

I wish we all could be a little bit more tolerant. To become a vegetarian is a personal choice. No one has a right to berate another for this choice. I became a vegetarian about 3 years ago for ethical reasons. My boyfriend is a meat eater and that is his choice. We actually just cruised about 3 weeks ago. I never went hungry and , in fact, gained 3 lbs. :-/

Vegetarians will not go hungry on Carnival cruise ships but the original post was about the new burger joint and it's lack of vegetarian options. It would be nice to have a good vegetarian " burger " offered.

Finally a post that 100% gets it.

This isn't a post saying there's nothing to eat for vegetarians.

This isn't a post about people going in with false expectations (as all the "no one's forcing you to book" posts).

We generally love Carnival food. Both my vegetarian wife and my carnivorous self.

My post was simply an "Oh, I thought maybe there might be something exciting and new calling us back to Carnival - despite our liking for their food it's getting a bit "old" - these changes look pretty good to me, but as there's nothing new for my wife I doubt it's going to call us back anytime soon - what a shame".

The post is about the 2.0 additions being disappointing for vegetarians and their families - not about Carnival in general.

Archived