Vegetarians hung out to dry by 2.0 changes.

Nemspy

me too. i was quite surprised when someone made me one. it was quite tasty.

i've yet to eat healthy though. there's just something wrong about that!

My favorite is the spicy black bean burger!! I will take that over a real burger anyday only because I LOVE the taste of it. A little sliced avacado, cheese, and a splash of hot sauce yuuuummmmyyy!!

OP, I am not trying to jack your thread but I see that many people are interested in veggie burgers. Even some meat eaters like veggie burgers. If anyone would like recipes, I have a ton!

The underlying point is IF Carnival wanted to do a veggie burger at the new burger joint, there are many many options that even a meat eater would love!

Forgive my ignorance here but it has been a while since I cruised. If I remember correctly, meat wasn't the only offering for any/every meal. Seems like there were plenty of veggie/fruit choices, pasta/rice, soups/salads, etc. I have no expectation of being in a small city and getting each & every meal to my specifications. There are many choices, adapt or starve. It's not the end of the world, just go home and grill up that burger you so crave. I personally am looking for some down home food as soon as I return home. Too much of a good thing perhaps?

I could also make a list here of foods I really, really like, a lot. Does CCL make them or anything close to them? No. Perhaps they are slighting me? The food is OK, nothing to write home about but edible and decent, and fills the hole it is meant to fill. If I want really good food, I venture off the ship or stay at home.

Nothing has changed there always was and still is many options for everyone. There are many days on the ship that my meals don't include meat.

• 6 months later...
Liv has had that in his signature for years and years! :)

There's room for ALL God's creatures......right next to the mashed potatoes.

I'm back...

Okay, first of all, there is no reliable dietary evidence that meat is a bad thing to eat. (That's not including overly processed meats with loads of nitrites, nitrates, steroids, and whatnot thrown into the mix.)

Humans evolved to eat meat. Much of the explanation for diabetes and obesity epidemics in recent times surely comes from too little meat protein and too many high-glycemic overly processed carbs in our modern diets. Meat and meat fats were given the blame for many decades when all along it was the sugar, corn syrup, and white flower that we slurp up. Believe me, there are lots and lots of obese vegetarians.

I don't have any strong attachment to eating meat, no yearning for the steak house, and no thrill over grills. I was happy on my last few cruises to eat the vegetarian Indian dishes about half the time.

Now if I may throw in my two cents -- why are there no atheist selections in any of the restaurants? What about us?

JMHO but I think when you choose to eliminate such a large part of the food chain, you kind of limit your own options. I don't mean that in a snarky way. Just an observation. They offer vegetarian option in various locations on the ship. I don't think they need to provide selections at every venue.....Especially in a burger joint when so many vegetarians would throw a fit knowing their veggie burgers are thrown on the same grill with meat.

I wonder if they really have a dedicated veggie grill in the kitchen for the MDR? Anyone know?

As the spouse of a vegetarian and a cruiser who, after five cruises in two years, was finding the food growing a bit samey and was looking forward to this new variety to give us a reason to book another cruise, I am a bit disappointed to discover that, unless they have some sort of secret menu, neither Guy's Burger Bar or The Blue Iguana offer vegetarian options.

While I'd be fine, it would be a case of same old for my wife and in order for a cruise to be new and exciting it needs to have interesting new stuff for both of us.

Couldn't believe some of the comments on John Heald's thread such as "There are veggie burgers elsewhere - no need for them at Guy's!" -- Well, yeah, but there are regular burgers elsewhere too, so by that rationale why have Guy's at all? Guy Fierri's places on land have veg burgers, why would Carnival not cater in this area?

Hey Cows eat Grass & other vegetable type offerings. We eat the cow, so indirectly we are getting the vegies. It is called "The Circle of Life"

Because only 3% of the US population is vegetarian. So on a ship of 3000 guests only about 90 people are vegetarian. Besides there is plenty of veggie food available.

You don't have to be a vegetarian to eat meatless. IMO, it's a no brainer to have a meatless burger available. I am not a vegetarian, but I do not eat much red meat, and I do enjoy a vegi burger.

That might be a good thing...unless it's wild salmon (which I do not believe is what you will get on a CCL cruise), you should not eat it every day anyway.

Do some Googling on farm raised salmon. There are guidelines about how often you should consume it....

I love salmon too....had some last night as a matter of fact (wild...I do try to stay away from farm raised for the most part)

I know it would be difficult for CCL to offer it, but a grilled Portabello mushroom burger would be freaking awesome to have on board.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Halos, Portabello mushroom with fresh mozzarilla burger, that sounds...........well..........heavenly;)

Yummmmm hope the beards are listening!!!

Because only 3% of the US population is vegetarian. So on a ship of 3000 guests only about 90 people are vegetarian. Besides there is plenty of veggie food available.

You don't have to be a vegetarian to eat a veggie burger. My husband and I enjoy veggie burgers...with bacon.

You can have a different Indian vegetarian dish every night in the main dining room now

Some of the ships have an Indian option at the buffet (Freedom does I hear, have not been on her yet)

You can get a veggie burrito I think at Iguana

Otherwise....buffet should have lots of choices, they have some veg options on room service, and one at the deli

I have a friend who cruises with us who is VEGAN>> no dairy, no cheese nada and he does fine

If you are looking for the ship to cater to you, it wont. I did see a Vegan Cruise boarding after my last cruise...about half the ship was chartered for Vegan cruise, chefs, lectures, etc...all Vegan

and it cost about 4x the average price of a regular MSC cruise LOL

So maybe that would be an option , a special veggie/vegan charter cruise

Didn't read the entire thread but my DD is a vegetarian and has been for about 6 years...

She can always find something to eat. So, if they are serving prime rib, baked potato and broccoli in the dining room...by asking for it without the prime rib it now is a vegetarian meal. A burger without the burger is vegetarian option...you actually have MORE options than we do...much easier to make a plate without the meat than add meat to the vegetarian dish...

Veggie burgers are hard because there are different varieties...mushroom based, soy based and bean based...now, if you r a vegetarian and they have mushroom based but you hate mushrooms...do you still complain because they don't have the veggie burger you want? Do you know what my daughter does...she brings her own...keeps it in the fridge and brings it to the grill before they start cooking the meat on them

So, as we see, there are plenty of vegetarian options...but seems the issue is the lack of meatless proteins...

We have a good friend who is a vegetarian. And let me tell you it is a pain in the azzz trying to find a place where she has some sort of selection to eat.

We have a friend who is Vegan. You have it easy. Going out with a Vegan basically means that you go to an Indian or Thai place. Talk about boring.

DON

I'm a carnivore through and through (with lots of salads and fruit), and would definitely enjoy more veggie options if they are filling and tasty...but the appeal for a vegetarian diet is very limited.

You know there's a problem when the vegetarian offerings include things that are supposed to taste like meat. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a vegan and have cruised several lines successfully. Even though many lines, including Carnival, have a vegetarian selection on their menu every night, it doesn't mean that vegetarians are limited to just that option. Cruise lines want their customers to be happy and well fed, and no matter how small a percentage of the general population followers of a particular diet or lifestyle are, the cruiselines make an enthusiastic effort to meet their needs.

Notify the cruiseline in advance, then meet with the maitre d' on embarkation day- he/she will already have your name listed, and a meal prepared for you the first night. Each line handles subsequent nights differently; some have a separate vegetarian menu (that is vegan friendly), others have you make a selection off the regular menu, which is then prepared to your needs (in both of these cases, the next night's menu is brought to your table, and you go over it with the head waiter or asst maitre d'). Breakfasts and lunches are easy, especially if you enjoy being creative, and/or know to ask for help.

For a detailed account of my recent Valor review, see post # 27 in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1632387&highlight=vegan

Cruiselines happily cater to special needs diets, whether they are followed for health or ethical reasons. While vegetarians and vegans may still be a small percentage of the population, it is a growing percentage, and cruiselines are very aware of this- consider HAL's (!) recent announcement of its expanded vegetarian and vegan menu.

I don't claim to be more intelligent, healthier, or better looking than the average cruiser. Eating out with me just takes an extra moment of planning, and it's not a big deal. I've eaten very well in restaurants in several countries, and I don't hesitate to include a cruise in my travel plans. Heck, I don't even claim that the 'bright smile' and 'vibrant personality' that I am often complimented on have anything to do with my being vegan (although we vegans have a...er....digestive theory about that :D).

Archived