Luggage tags

spalady

We are flying to our next 2 cruises at least one day before the ship departs.

We have arranged our own transportation.

My question is: Do we wait until the morning of the cruise to attach our cruise line luggage tags?

Put at least one on before you check on the plane, if bag gets lost and you haveto board ship without it,you might still get it. On the dock put another tag on the second handle. I don't loose bags, just the feet off the bottom of the case. I saw on T.V. what happens to your luggage, its bad! john

There used to be some confusion about folks with cruiseline transfers and those without. Back in the day, most cruiselines would claim your bag (based on the luggage tag) from the airport before it ever made it to the carousel. It would be delivered via truck to the pier and your cabin. So those who had not purchased the cruiseline transfer or were arriving a day early - were often advised NOT to place the tags on at home.

Now that everyone must claim their own checked bags, I think it best to now place these tags on as you leave home. As the above poster said....if the bag is delayed along the way - it will have a much better chance of making your ship on its own with the tag in place, than without.

If you are changing planes, arriving early these tags would be great in case you get separtated from you baggage, before you leave home you input your itin into the profile and if you bag is missing who ever finds it can check for the correct place to send your luggage

http://secure.aerotag.com/catalog3/index.php?osCsid=21137a49d5f976b893920eb4f49925d6

I have to politely disagree. Any tags on luggage can certainly confuse the baggage handlers at the airport. I would wait until you retrieve them from the baggage carousel. This is always the info I've gotten when reading the instructions in cruise booklets.

What we do is type up a copy of our itinerary, reduce it and put it in back of our luggage tag. If the bag is misplaced, they can find out where you will be, whether it is a hotel the night before, or a cruise ship in a day or so. We also place a copy of our itinerary inside the bag, in case the luggage tag gets ripped off. Most luggage goes wayward because there are tags that don't belong on the case, many times from previous trips.

If you have a travel partner, cross pack your clothes with them. That way, if one bag goes astray, you still have some clothes to wear. When you are checking in at the airport, make sure the attendant puts the right destination tags on your luggage.

Very good points...

I believe the central advice is to have a clear destination/itinerary posted in or on the bags. Be that the ship's tags or a printed slip. And absolutely cross pack, on any flight, not just cruises.

I do not know for sure, but in today's barcoded world of airports, I would think old tags would be less of an issue. As far as handlers actually hand sorting bags, the airlines seem to all use the long white tags, which are quite different from the colored cruise tags I have seen. And any port-based airport (MIA, FLL, etc) will be very familiar with seeing these tags.

I for sure, remove all old tags from previous flights. I even remove flight tags before handing to the cruise terminal porters. I think airline tags are more of an annoying factor for ship handlers, than cruise tags for airport staff.

Suffice it to say, we all have the chance to experience lost or delayed luggage. Do cruise tags help or hurt? Not sure if anyone knows for sure. Pack your medicines in your carry on, and buy t-shirts till the rest shows up....<g>.

If they would bring back "home airport to cabin" checked delivery, we would not have to guess.

We were told to place the ship tags on before we leave home & we have done that. Imagine how frustrating it was when last yr the airlines employee began to tear our tags off when checking our luggage:eek: She said, "you are supposed to take all your old tags off." I replied, "this is for our cruise ship". The employee next to her promptly told her what the deal was and told me that some employees need to learn procedures. :) I was anxious since I really didn't have very much flight experience & didn't know what I was doing.

Thank goodness for someone who did!

Archived