Uniworld Russia 2012

id4elizabeth

Anybody out there going to Russia with Uniworld next year? Fran, are you still out there? If so, do you think we should try setting up a ROLL CALL for our cruise? You never know - after all, we found out about each other through these boards (however, that was before the "changes").

Thanks, Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth -

Yes, still here - although less than enthused with this new format, so not here as often.

I would wait until the New Year to try to pull the thread forward. I did post in June of this year - with no responses - so we can cast that net again closer to the date.

Getting excited about going. Will be looking at getting our visas in the New Year. DH needs to renew his passport first (expires Jan '12).

Fran

Hi Fran (and anyone else out there),

Looks like they're putting us back to the old forum! YEAH!! Glad you're still around. I think that's a good idea to wait until January to post a Roll Call for our cruise.

I must admit to being very lax about getting going on the details of our trip. We still don't have our airfare locked down but at leaast I do know our flights. I've been reading about St Petersburg and am struck by all the museum closings on various days of the week. Some are closed on Tuesdays and the first Mondays of the month. Others on Wednesdays, etc. I'm glad we won't have to worry about that while we're on the cruise as hopefully Uniworld will have thought all that out. Since we are getting there a few days early, and I don't want to replicate what we will be doing on the cruise, I'm trying to figure out what to do. Also, did you see that the "real" Bolshoi in Moscow is reopening this Friday? I doubt that Uniworld is taking us there, but would love to try and fit that into our time in Moscow.

I'm going to be away for the next two weeks, but will check the boards again when I get back.

Hi Elizabeth...

We actually booked our air a while ago --> got a great deal, so jumped. We were able to get the connections we wanted, and don't have a really early flight on the way home. Many have posted about leaving the boat before 5 am to catch their flight!! I am *not* a morning person... :D

I love the fact that Uniworld includes transfers - even if you don't book your air with them. Given how competitive this field is, I am surprised that more companies don't do this.

I believe Tauck and Scenic offer this as well, but both Viking and AMA only include transfers if you book their air.

I know that getting my DH to the ballet at all will be a challenge, so don't imagine I will get him to one in Moscow after we go in St. Petersburg.

Fran

Hi Fran,

Since you are posting about your upcoming Russian trip on Uniworld, I wanted to tell you that their ship was berthed next to ours in Moscow. Our friends took a brief tour of the ship and looked at a cabin and couldn't believe how much better it looked than the Katarina we were stuck on. Apparently, AMA must have read our critique cards since they now are offering two full days in Moscow instead of the day and one half we got!! I also read that Uniworld and Viking had good food on their Russia River cruises. After doing over 35 cruises, this was my first cruise where I lost weight!! We were so fortunate though since a cough bug was going around the ship and some people got very ill. I took a flu shot the week before going and my husband and I used antiseptic wipes all the time. I even used a paper napkin in the buffet area to hold the serving utensils.

Sheila

Hi Sheila -

Thanks for the good news!!

When we were looking to book, I had narrowed it down to Viking and Uniworld - as both have itineraries of 12 nights/13 days. Figure if I was going that far, I would like to see as much as possible. Uniworld had a great booking incentive - so we jumped.

We get 3 full days in both Moscow and St. Petersburg --> which is a huge draw for us. We can't swing any extra time on this cruise, so really wanted to have those days on either end included.

We fly out 7 months today!!!

Fran

Hi again Fran,

If your DH has to renew his passport by January 2012, I strongly suggest he do so soon. I don't know how long it takes in Canada to get a new passport, but the Visa process for Russia is very involved. They even changed the form in the middle of our application for one in July. It caught a lot of people unaware. We were in Europe in July with our passports and had to apply when we returned in order to get it back for early September. We used ZVS in S.F. since we had used them for many other Visas over the years. The people who went to the Russian Consulate in NYC had to wait in line in the hot sun for hours and then return two weeks later to pick up the Visas.

So glad you have three full days in Moscow and St. Petersburg. We were able to use the Metro in both cities and found the people so nice. They don't make eye contact, but gave up their seats to us when they heard us speak English. Just be aware of your surroundings as you would in any big city. Some men had their wallets stolen because they kept them in their pants pockets. They never felt a thing.

I hope Uniworld takes you for a meal at a Russian home. It was one of the highlights of our cruise as well as the wonderful sights.

Sheila

Fran, I'm not a big ballet fan but I really enjoyed the show at Catherine the Great's theater in the Hermitage. If they have a show you like I would highly recommend that rather than the Marienski. It is small, all the seats are good and the sense of history is overwhelming. Be aware that the seats are not reserved-fcfs-but they're all so good it doesn't matter. Just don't be late.:D

Hi Sheila -

The passport process in Canada is actually quite streamlined. We have a passport office less than 5 minutes walk from our home - so we just walk up, with the paperwork and a new photo - and the passport is mailed out within 10 days.

I have been on line to look at the visa process - and it is a bit different for us. Visa applications are available on the Uniworld website. They use ZVS for the US - but CIBT for Canada. Ours will be processed in Toronto (as we live in Ontario) - and they identify 4-10 days for processing. My friend plans on going to the consulate in Toronto to deliver it personally (she works downtown).

newlondon - we have a ballet included in our tour - but it is at the Alexandrinsky Theater. I am hoping that DH will come along - but I will go without him if necessary!!! :D

Fran

Regarding the ballet in Moscow, I was thinking it would be cool to just tour the newly opened Bolshoi. It's been closed for some years now, and the Russian government supposedly spent a fortune (whatever that means) in restoring the original theatre that Catherine the Great built. Supposed to be magnifcant, so we're going to try and squeeze that in somehow. Don't know if they offer tours, but will investigate that and let you know if you're intereted.

Elizabeth

Apparently, AMA must have read our critique cards since they now are offering two full days in Moscow instead of the day and one half we got!!

I wouldn't be quite sure. We got 1.5 days in Moscow. The following years, I thought they changed the schedule (and increased the time in Moscow) but they always show the itinerary Moscow to St. Petersburg which is deceiving for those doing the opposite. I was surprised that you only got 1.5 days also as I thought for sure by looking at their website that you would get more as you had one less port then we did. I think it is creative marketing how they post the itinerary.

DH may just have to go along (if we can figure something out...) - after all, I will be going along to see Lenin in his tomb!! :eek:

Fran

We saw Lenin in 1988 and I am glad we did. It is indeed memorable. Make sure you coordinate you schedule with when it is open as it is extremely limited hours. Thankfully the tour I was on strategically scheduled our timing perfectly so we hit everything when it was open.

Hi Sheila -

The passport process in Canada is actually quite streamlined. We have a passport office less than 5 minutes walk from our home - so we just walk up, with the paperwork and a new photo - and the passport is mailed out within 10 days.

Australians and Canadians had a much easier time than the US people on our trip in obtaining our visas. It blew me away when comparing stories.

Coral - thanks for the tip about the limited hours...

We have an entire day free in Moscow (after 2 days of touring) so hopefully Lenin will be "receiving visitors" that day.

Fran

I just found this:

The Mausoleum is open every day from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm, except holidays, Mondays and Fridays. Visitors still wait in lines to see Lenin's body although they are not as long as they once were. Entrance is free of charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenin's_Mausoleum

To Fran,

Make sure you don't miss filling out any part of the Visa App.

To Coral,

AMA not only is taking everyone sightseeing after breakfast on the 1st day in Moscow on the St. Petersburg to Moscow river cruise, but they changed the program to allow free time the second day. We had NO free time. By the time we got to Red Square, Lenin's tomb was closed. Their brochure still doesn't say if they are going into Peterhof or "doing the grounds as we did". By the way, did you take a look at AMA's new trips to Africa. Instead of fixing what's wrong with their other programs, they are on to new ones.

To newlondon,

We also went to a ballet in St. Petersburg at the Hermitage Theatre. It was an awesome place and all I could do was look around and feel the history in that theatre. We sat in the first row and it was wonderful.

Sheila

To Fran,

Make sure you don't miss filling out any part of the Visa App.

To Coral,

AMA not only is taking everyone sightseeing after breakfast on the 1st day in Moscow on the St. Petersburg to Moscow river cruise, but they changed the program to allow free time the second day. We had NO free time. By the time we got to Red Square, Lenin's tomb was closed. Their brochure still doesn't say if they are going into Peterhof or "doing the grounds as we did". By the way, did you take a look at AMA's new trips to Africa. Instead of fixing what's wrong with their other programs, they are on to new ones.

What is confusing is that they always show the itinerary as Moscow to St. Petersburg which in the past shows more time in Moscow. What is the true test is when people do the opposite route, how much time they get. When I looked at the itinerary this past year, I thought for sure they were giving you guys more time and it wasn't until you posted that it became apparent they did the same thing to you as they did to us - 1.5 days.

They just usually post a small astrick that says "St. Petersburg to Moscow will do the opposite route" but what they leave out is there is less time in Moscow.

Maybe I am wrong. If someone is seriously looking at this for next year, I would email AMA and get the real itinerary for St. Petersburg to Moscow. Better yet, look at Uniworld.

I did look at their African trip. I have a good friend who has probably done 20 some safaris and I don't think she has ever spent more than $4-$5K per trip with air. The pictures I have seen have been very luxurious with top chefs and personal guides (though not a boat trip). I can't believe what they are charging for their trip. I will have to talk to my friend but I doubt she would even consider a boat trip as an incentive on her trip. She likes to stay in the luxurious tents with marble bathrooms in the tents (looks like a Ritz Carlton inside these tents) and walk out and see elephants walk in front of their camp.

• 3 months later...

Hi Elizabeth,

We are booked on the May 30th cruise. It is our first one with Uniworld.

Only concern I have is with the food. I heard that all of the ships have Russian chefs & therefore, bland food. Hope it turns out to be better than that after all of the complaints.

Anyone else going on this trip?

First of all - welcome to Cruise Critic!!

Can't believe that there are actually 4 of us CCers on the same sailing. Have never before managed to connect with anyone on the same sailing --> and this will be our 5th river cruise (3rd with Uniworld...)

DH and I are on the May 30th sailing --> travelling with friends of ours.

Elizabeth is also on this sailing.

I have started a roll call for Russia - all lines, all dates --> over on the Roll Call forum. Lots of people who have been before are offering suggestions. Also figure that those of us travelling early in the year can post when we come back (to offer advice/suggestions for those travelling a bit later).

Glad you decided to post in!!

Fran

Archived