Solo parent w/ 2 small kids....Thoughts?

soozenw

Next August, my husband will be away from home for 5-6 days for a gaming convention (GenCon in Indianapolis if anyone is curious). The kids and I usually go, but they didn't enjoy it this year, and neither did I because of it.

So, since my husband will be gone for that period of time, I am thinking about taking the kids (they will be 5 and 2 at that point) on a cruise.

We are taking our 1st family cruise in April on Disney, but we would not be able to afford the Disney cruises in August (yikes!), so I'm considering Carnival.

Has anyone taken young kids cruising solo before? Or would you?

Asking a parent/friend to come along isn't really an option either, as the few that I would want to travel with have already declined.

Thanks for any opinions/experience you are willing to share!

~Susan

I'm thinking it wouldn't be a whole lot different than staying home with them, except for the not cooking thing! But, it would be nice and hot in August (of course, it's probably quite hot in Indiana, too!)....

I don't know...I wouldn't want to cruise alone (with or without kids!)...but it's totally doable! I just like to have someone (adult) to share the fun with....

Im taking my first solo cruise in 2weeks. I personally like Carnival and really enjoy thier childrens programs. I am preparing my son for the possibility of attending Camp Carnival when I want some 'mom' time. I was wondering if you had a mom or a MIL who would join you? I guess I would only be wondering if you had to fly to port or if its within driving distance as travel may be tough with 2 young children.

There are a bunch of us on this board who cruise alone with our kids (some leave their spouse behind and some are single parents). As a single mom who has done lots of different travels with little ones, cruising is by far the easiest and is such a wonderful way to get to spend some time enjoying the kids, and, if you choose a ship that will offer a kids club or sitting for your two year old, you can get some down time as well. I love having no chores or decisions - just getting to enjoy each other's company for awhile. I feel safe out with my kids day or night and a cruise is very condusive for meeting other people, so I never feel lonely.

We eat in the dining room every meal. I don't like buffets anyway, but it's much easier to have the food served to you rather than try to wrangle two kids around the buffet. I also would bring a double stroller or sit n' stand so you have a place to plop the kids when necessary (it's been a lifesaver for me at night getting from the kids club back to the cabin when both are too tired to walk).

Best,

Mia

I'm thinking it wouldn't be a whole lot different than staying home with them, except for the not cooking thing! But, it would be nice and hot in August (of course, it's probably quite hot in Indiana, too!)....

I don't know...I wouldn't want to cruise alone (with or without kids!)...but it's totally doable! I just like to have someone (adult) to share the fun with....

It IS very warm here in Indiana in August, one of the cruises I was looking at is from NY to Canada...that might be a little cooler than Mexico...lol

And I believe that cruising alone would be bliss. I love to spend time alone. And it seems like our boys are better behaved when both parents aren't around. Couple of nutjobs, they are.

Im taking my first solo cruise in 2weeks. I personally like Carnival and really enjoy thier childrens programs. I am preparing my son for the possibility of attending Camp Carnival when I want some 'mom' time. I was wondering if you had a mom or a MIL who would join you? I guess I would only be wondering if you had to fly to port or if its within driving distance as travel may be tough with 2 young children.

I'm not about to fly with the kids. Just the thought of that gives me a bit of a panic attack. The closest ports are NY, Baltimore (options from there are too long), SC, or NOLA. So we would be driving 12+ hours to port. If I can do it overnight, that would be best. That's how we are getting to our cruise in April.

And my mom already told me no, she refuses to cruise without my dad, and my dad doesn't want to go on a cruise. And my MIL....*shudder*

There are a bunch of us on this board who cruise alone with our kids (some leave their spouse behind and some are single parents). As a single mom who has done lots of different travels with little ones' date=' cruising is by far the easiest and is such a wonderful way to get to spend some time enjoying the kids, and, if you choose a ship that will offer a kids club or sitting for your two year old, you can get some down time as well. I love having no chores or decisions - just getting to enjoy each other's company for awhile. I feel safe out with my kids day or night and a cruise is very condusive for meeting other people, so I never feel lonely.

We eat in the dining room every meal. I don't like buffets anyway, but it's much easier to have the food served to you rather than try to wrangle two kids around the buffet. I also would bring a double stroller or sit n' stand so you have a place to plop the kids when necessary (it's been a lifesaver for me at night getting from the kids club back to the cabin when both are too tired to walk).

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I was thinking that cruising would be the easiest way to spend time away from home. There are a lot of waterpark resorts near us, but the thought of the million kids that will be there...and no kids club! lol

Thank you all for your helpful advice!

I have to agree with CB about this one. I would rather use the time that my DH is away to go visit family or stay home. I wouldn't want him to miss out on the rest of the family taking a cruise. And I would miss him too much. But, that is just me.

I think with a 5 and 2 year old taking a cruise is very doable. The 12+ hour drive would scare me a bit though.

I have to agree with CB about this one. I would rather use the time that my DH is away to go visit family or stay home. I wouldn't want him to miss out on the rest of the family taking a cruise. And I would miss him too much. But, that is just me.

I think with a 5 and 2 year old taking a cruise is very doable. The 12+ hour drive would scare me a bit though.

Since my husband won't be home that entire time, we would miss him anyway. We don't have any family to visit (they all live close enough, for the most part, that we see them often), and we're home all the time! (I'm a SAHM)

I do agree that I don't want him to miss out on a the cruise, but he told me he didn't mind.

Thank you for your thoughts!

I say go for it! I have taken my 4 and 2 year old on flights and even a 12 hour car trip by myself (without the use of DVD player/video games even!). I have contemplated a cruise as well, but the lines we prefer do not offer childcare for kids under 3 and I think I would need some mommy time:) The fact you are even considering it suggests you have well behaved kids and feel pretty confident taking them places.

I think I would fly over drive to the port, though. When you are driving, your attention and focus is (hopefully) never 100% on them. When you fly, you just plan ahead, allows lots of time to get through security and then give them your undivided attention while in the air. Fellow passengers in the airport are often quite helpful when they see a mom traveling alone. We get treated a lot better when traveling just the three of us than when my husband is with us:)

I hope it works out for you:)

I would second the idea of flying instead of driving. We haven't done any long drives since DD came along, but when it was just DS, we did a few 12-hour road trips. Only, it wasn't 12 hours, it was more like 15, when you add in all the potty stops and food stops and get-out-of-the-car-and-stretch stops. If you're the only parent with two young kids, you have to keep track of both of them at each rest stop; getting their food, taking them to the bathroom, and so on. And being the only driver for an overnight drive could be dangerous; it's all too easy to get drowsy behind the wheel on the dark, straight, monotonous interstates.

Obviously, a lot of it depends on the kids. My kids (ages 5 and 3) love flying, and they're very well behaved on planes and in airports; so it's a no-brainer for us. But of course, you have to do what works best for your brood.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about being apart from your husband. As long as he's OK with you all taking the cruise without him -- and you said that he is -- then go for it. (Be sure and bring him back some souvenirs!)

I love these boards! Thank you all so much for opinions and advice! I'm getting the best pros/cons that I never thought about.

Still considering all options, but I feel much more relaxed about the entire idea now that I know that other parents travel solo with their kids!

I mostly travel alone with my kiddos. DH has his own business so it's hard for him to leave. The girls and I have the best time together.

I would suggest flying as well. It really is the easiest and safest option.

The easiest vacation with one parent is Disney World. You can fly in, the bus takes you to the resort and to every park. Super easy and if you stay in a value resort, not a bad price either. The two year old will be able to ride almost everything that the five year old can so everyone will be happy.

A cruise would be good too IF the two year old can go to the kids club otherwise, I would skip it.

It is one of my fantasies to cruise alone... I even dream about it!! of course that's without the kids!!

I'm sure you'll be fine especially if the kids enjoy the kids club!! Just think a whole week of being able to do exactly what you like>>>> I'm jealous!!

BnBx

Archived