1st time with Royal Carribbean

Hi

We are very excited about our upcoming cruises on the Radiance of the Seas but we have never cruised with RCCL before, we have been very happy with Princess.

Can you please tell me, when we board do you still get money put onto your account buy the cruise line and then you have 2 days to replace that money? Otherwise we must have to head to the Pursers Desk on arrival to put our cash on our card.

Hope you can help?

Thanks Tania :)

I have never cruised with Princess, but I normally have a cash onboard account so I head to Guest Relations and put money on my SetSail account so that I can make purchases onboard.

Much easier to have a credit card on file... Then you have the option at the end of your cruise to leave it charged to that card or can pay part or all in cash...I have seen people in a panic in line at the Guest Relations desk because their SeaPass card was declined and had to put more cash on it.. And who wants to stand inline at Guest Relations the minute they get onboard..not me.

Before you board, you will "check in" at a desk. The easiest thing to do is provide them with a credit card. They will then give you your "seapass" card which you will swipe for just about everything you purchase while on the cruise. At the end, your seapass account balance will be charged to the credit card you showed them at the beginning. Very simple.

Some people prefer to open their seapass account with cash. I *think* (and there are details somewhere on their site I believe) that they have a minimum amount that you have to put down in cash in order to do it this way. But the cruise line itself won't just open your seapass account with any sort of money/credit already on it that you have to replace. You have to either supply the minimum amount of cash, or a credit card.

Personally, I opened my seapass account with my credit card and planned to charge everything to it. But I also brought some cash with me that I thought I'd need for spending money while out in the ports. On about day 5, I realized I had brought way more cash than I would need, so I went to the Guest Relations desk and put some money down on my seapass account, and then the amount they ended up needing to charge to my credit card at the end of the cruise turned out to be pretty minimal. I didn't have to pay the cash on it, but I chose to, and I liked not having a large amount charged to my credit card at the end.

Archived