Volendam Cabin questions

littlebluebook

Hi!

We are thinking of taking a cruise around the pacific islands next year on the volendam. We've always gone balconies but because it will be so hot and we HATE the heat have decided to go for an inside cabin (and try them out!)

We like the L category cabin as we want to be on the main deck. My question is this it says 'all L category cabins are 4 person with sofa bed and pullman upper'

My husband and I are both over 6 feet and are wondering if the pullman up when actually UP and not being used juts out a lot from the wall? We are concerned it might impact on space and being tall might hinder getting down the side of the bed etc? Has anyone used a cabin with a pullman upper not in use?

Also when looking at the deck plans i noticed some L category cabins have a little circle meaning '3rd person w/sofa bed' instead of the little square for 4 people. Does that mean maybe SOME of the L category has only 3 lower beds?

And lastly, we were looking towards the stern of the ship but is the engine quite loud? We would not be on the dolphin deck but one up. I don't have much problems with noise but my husband does. On the last two cruises we were on we were above deck 10.

Thank you for your help! :)

We were on the Volendam in an L inside in August. We are a family of 4 so used both the sofa bed and pullman. Not all L cabins could accomodate 4 people so we could only choose a cabin with a square on the chart. The pullman went up into the ceiling, not the box hanging on the wall so I don't think it will bother you at all if it remains up. I never saw it up though but I have seen cabin photos with the big pullman box which our cabin, L 2664, did not have. You can see the bed arrangement if you go to IRLJoanie's sticky post above and go to Volendam Main Deck.

Again I am not sure, but I have heard comments about love seats instead of sofas but the cabins with the square have full sized sofas that are made into proper sized single beds. Not sure if the cabins that are rated for 2 people only have love seats instead of sofas.

We had lots of room for the 4 of us but we only used the cabin for sleepling and changing clothes; no sitting around or in cabin dining.

Enjoy your cruise.

My estimate is that the 4th bed drops about 4-6" down from the ceiling; probably closer to the 4" mark.

The 3rd bed would be a single, made when the sofa flips into a bed, with the head and foot at the arms ends of the sofa.

I'm not stayed on Main Dek, but was aft one deck up on similar ship Maasdam. At that level the only thing I "heard" was more "felt" when docking in the morning. It shook for a few minutes. I was up, or getting up, anyway, so that did not matter to me.

So long as the inside cabin is noted as a "large" inside, you should find it quite comfortable.

Archived