Oasis of the Seas - Photo Review

jennat

IMG_3362.jpg

BTW this was the view from the balcony.

Anyway.....the bottom balcony was the rock climbing wall, then there were 3 private balconies, and then the top three were public. But hardly anyone knew about it. Well the entrance to ours was practically across the hall. We only saw people out there twice the whole trip. We spent a lot of time out there. This sold us on this location.

DSC00721.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

It was like having a boardwalk balcony, an aft balcony and an ocean view all at the same time. It wrapped around so you could see on 3 sides.

HUGE selling point on this room.

I plan on spending some time on the public balcony at the end of deck 11 when we sail. Thanks for the pictures!

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

A couple more negatives to the room I had.....obviously with the zip line two floors up and the people watching the zipline, in addition to the rooms across the way, you had to remember to keep your drapes drawn. That is a no brainer. The other thing we really noticed, much more than our friends with midship rooms was how big the ship was. I think this was because of all the walking we had to do to just get to the stairs/elevator. I would have loved to have had a staircase at the end of the hall.

The last review we read before we left said to zipline the first day as there is no line. We kept checking back and they were working on it. i didn't want to be the first one on after it was "fixed"...

Opps, dang, I thought I had that fixed" Wet clean up on the Boardwalk"

We eventually made it. You have to have closed toed shoes to ride this and they are very strict with that rule, so pack your tennies!

Actually, my girlfriend and husband are the only ones who rode it this time.

10737046.jpg

P1050293.jpg

They said it was more of a novelty than anything else. I don't think you are gonna get an adrenaline high or anything. But what a fun concept.

We headed to the cabin to get ready for the muster drill. I had packed very inefficiently to be able to unpack very efficiently. When we got to the cabin, the bags were there. It took me about 10 minutes to unpack 3 50lb bags. I had left everything on the hangers and put all the underwear and swimsuits in ziplocks, so I hung and poured and was out the door. Unlike my buddy Jen (jenmaybe), I thought the storage in the room was terrible. Could be because we had four people and she had two but come on.

On the Radiance we had three drawers on each side of the desk and a small pencil drawer in front. The nightstands had drawers. At least one section behind the mirror and a full sized cabinet to put things in, in addition to the shelves in the closet. There were also two full sized shelves (about 12 inches deep and then an equal section on the desk above the shelves to put things.

In this cabin we had 3 drawers (one of which is shallow with the hairdryer), nightstands that are just two oval shelves, a shallow cabinet (about 4 inches deep) and the shelves in the closet. There was also a 4 inch shelf above the tv but the keyboard was on it. I really noticed the difference and missed the extra room.

Here is what I did like.

The bathroom had a small drawer and a couple shelves in it and this was a nice addition. The shower was wonderful with it's glass door and there was even a place to put your foot when shaving.

Another nice addition were the hooks. There were two hooks by the mirror in the bathroom, two in the shower, three on the inside of the bathroom door and two above the magazine (don't ask) rack in the room.

The lighting was different also. There is a master switch would could confuse some people....totally not me, I knew what it was alllll along. Basically, non of the switches work when it is switched off (which I guess makes sense) but the lighting was a little weird to me. There are four switches. One contols it all...we'll call this "mama" switch, then there is "daddy" switch which controls the bathroom(for obvious) reasons, then there is "baby" switch which controls the lights over the pictures (yeah, I know) and then there is the "favorite child" cabin switch (because they light up your world). Hummm....

I think I remember being able to turn off "the favorite child" switch from bed.....too bad that doesn't really work.

The plug is below the desk so a power strip helps. we put the chair on the balcony and the table under the desk and used it for more shelves.

If you have someone sleeping on the sofa bed, ask for an egg crate. My son said it was hard. Our bed however was FAB U LOUS!!!!! Do your really EVER sleep better than you do on a cruise. I pathetically think it was one of my favorite things to do. Hey, I'm not proud.....just honest. (smile) Getting out of bed in the morning was SO hard!!!

Our muster station was the Aqua theater. It is so nice not having to cart the life jackets around. You just go, listen, smile and leave.

We then headed up to the Mast Bar for sail away. That is where the CC roll call group was supposed to meet. I had already met quite a few because I had told them I was wearing the tshirts, so that was fun. There were a couple people up there but by the time I arrived, everyone was headed to the rail to watch us sail out of port. It was pretty windy as we left.

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

The building to the left of the bridge is the Hilton Marina.

DSC00261-1.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

That's my mama.

IMG_0791.jpg

Lookin' a little like Medusa. Wishin' I could have turned the guy standing by us smokin' a cigar to stone. Just kidding (not really kidding), no offense (are you kidding), don't know what else to say. Hate the things but maybe it's not all about me. What am I saying, of course it is. I digress. Let's check out the Sports deck!

CIMG1435.jpg

I just wish she wasn't so camera shy.

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

If you look at the ship, the floor above is the Windjammer and the one above that is the loft suites.

IMG_0647.jpg

Basketball

P1050491.jpg

Two of these separated by a bar for liquid courage.

P1050273.jpg

Several rooms of ping pong tables.

Rock wall by Aqua Theater on deck 6, shuffleboard behind the jumbo tron on deck 5 and game room on deck 14 for sports of the more cerebral kind.

P1050573.jpg

P1050569.jpg

The running track. I spent a great deal of my time here. That was a lie. It even felt like a lie coming out, did it sound like a lie. Truth be told, after I walked the 14 miles from my room to the stairs and down 7 flights, I was tired and needed a nap and went back to bed. That was another lie. I'm sorry.....I totally never even tried. I'll try to stick with the truth...

IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

Sports pool

IMG_0672.jpg

Here is the Wipeout Cafe. I can only show you the outside because it was NEVER open. And that, ladies and gentleman is no lie. It was open for 2 hours every day, from 4:00 to 6:00. And do you want to guess where the soft serve ice cream is located....that's right....behind those locked doors. Now before you all start panicking, there are two more ice cream machines located by the kid pool and sport pool. They close at 6 so plan accordingly. I resisted the ice cream until the last day and then had some and it was so good I ended up having three cones. What a pig. It tasted like homemade ice cream.

DSC00235.jpg

Kid pool (with the ice cream machine on the wall back there)

Hey Jen, yeah, I think only having 2 people in 1 cabin vs 4 people makes a huge difference....and compared to the Carnival ships we've been on, you know, the kind where there is absolutely no space in the bathroom at all to put your stuff....yes, this cabin had tons of space for us.

Mike put his stuff in the dresser drawers, I put mine on the shelves in the closet, hung up everything that needed to be hung and had plenty of room in the bathroom for all of that stuff. We still had room for things. I also liked the doors on the right side of the mirror-we used those too. We only packed what we needed, so we didn't overpack and have tons of stuff we didn't need either. We used absolutely everything we took.

My favorite though was having a fridge in the cabin! Never had that on Carnival.....what a treat!

Jen, I'm so excited to see you're doing an Oasis review and pictures - we're going in a month! I loved your Radiance/Alaska review so much that it convinced DH and I to go next summer - I'm sure I'll be referring to it lots as we begin our planning for that. Looking forward to more on the Oasis - great pics and review so far! DH and I were on the inaugural of the Oasis back in '09, now we're taking almost the whole family - 9 of us. Only our littlest peanut, sweet little granddaughter, is staying behind with her favorite cousin.

Thanks all of you who have said you enjoyed the Alaska Review. My husband and I talk of it often and agree that it is our favorite all time trip. With the amount that we travel, that is saying something. All of you who are putting off going to Alaska because you like warm weather and it is for when you are older (that is how I felt), all I can say is GO! You won't regret it.

Have a great time on your upcoming Oasis cruise. Sounds like you know what you are in for! She's a wonder.

Hey Jen, yeah, I think only having 2 people in 1 cabin vs 4 people makes a huge difference....and compared to the Carnival ships we've been on, you know, the kind where there is absolutely no space in the bathroom at all to put your stuff....yes, this cabin had tons of space for us.

Mike put his stuff in the dresser drawers, I put mine on the shelves in the closet, hung up everything that needed to be hung and had plenty of room in the bathroom for all of that stuff. We still had room for things. I also liked the doors on the right side of the mirror-we used those too. We only packed what we needed, so we didn't overpack and have tons of stuff we didn't need either. We used absolutely everything we took.

My favorite though was having a fridge in the cabin! Never had that on Carnival.....what a treat!

Well coming from Carnival...or any other cruise line for that matter, I KNOW you liked that shower door. No sticky curtain clinging to you.:p

P1050219.jpg

I stopped to pose for a picture before diving in.....wanting to show off my stuff while I was still lookin' good.

IMG_3154.jpg

You didn't think that I was referring to the picture of the girl with the swim cap, did you. This is me...that's my ugly cousin Helga.

IMG_3152.jpg

This is the Beach Pool. Love it. You do have to give some thought to where you are going to put your beach bag/camera if you bring one (the chairs are sitting in the water).

IMG_3159.jpg

This is the last kid friendly pool. There are some cubby holes on the back side of the stadium seating, that are like your own little private cabanas. They are, however, on the smoking side so if you smoke, you are golden, if not, you might want to think it through. It was funny to see all the people cuddled up and sleeping in here on the last day at sea. Too tired from all the fun.

DSC00765.jpg

DSC00764.jpg

Smoking deck behind the pool with the stadium seating.

LOL

I just got off the Oasis on Saturday...the motion on the ship never bothers me, but the world rocks for 3 days after...go figure. You guys weren't the people running around the ship in the robes were you???

We also stayed at the Hilton...your pics are so much better than mine!

It's funny how people see things so differently.

I posted a review of the hotel on the FL departure board...would love it if you'd share some of your shots/thoughts there as well.

Marsha

The Solarium - What a wonderful and tranquil spot. A tad "spa like" to me. I liked it better when there weren't people in it. What? Is that bad to say out loud (wink). The tranquility gets lost when the energy and talking of all the people is present. Probably one of my most favorite areas of the ship. It is gorgeous at night also.

This is an area that it is rather tough to get a chair in. Come early. We could always find a "chair" chair but the lounge chairs, especially those facing out to see were in high demand.

I never ate at either the Vitality Spa or the "fine dining" they offered at night. I know several of the people we traveled with did. Jen(maybe) loved the "fine Dining" (I'm sure it has a name). Chime in Jen.

DSC00761.jpg

The ceiling is a combination of open and closed sections.

DSC00763.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

decks over looking the pools and spas

DSC00236.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

I loved the palm trees......although it is probably not so exciting when you see them everyday. We don't get a lot of Palm trees in Colorado....

DSC00237.jpg

LOL

You guys weren't the people running around the ship in the robes were you???

Marsha

I can safely say NO to that one. I don't really understand that philosophy. If you are reading this and were the ones in robes, I guess my question for you would be "why?"

People will talk. People will most certainly talk. ;):D

I actually didn't see anyone in robes. Funny.

I will try to get over to the FLL boards if I have time. Maybe I can just post a link referring back to this post. Feel free to steal any pics you want.

I took 2012 pictures so it is easy to get good shots when you take so many. Unless of course you are in Jamaica, where it's gorgeous and your camera decides to not capture the beauty but that's a story for another day.

I have to get through the ship tour on this review because I am boring even myself and since it was my vacation.....that is not good.

Almost there.....just the solarium and the entertainment area and then the cruise begins.....

We had dinner at the Sol Bistro...

It was REALLY good!

It was a five course dinner and the entrees were all supposed to be under 500 calories each...

I started with a mushroom risotta with asparagus...pretty tasty, although an appetizer that is basically a bowl of rice is a little weird.

Then I has a pumpkin coconut soup. sounds a little odd, but it had spiced pumpkin seeds floating in it. It was amazing.

My husband, who was determined to make me look like a pig only opted for the iceburg salad with goat cheese. We liked it, but if you're not a fan of goat cheese, they also had spinach and caesar salads as an option.

For entrees, he opted for the Bison (which was the reason we went) It was cooked perfectly. I forget what he had as a side, but his plate had lick marks on it when he was finished!

I had the lamb. It was marinated, and came on a bed of wilted spinach and some kind ofbean medley...I skipped the beans, cause hey, it was supposed to be sort of romantic. And as you pointed out, those cabind are pretty small. We didn't have a balcony either.

The desserts were downright strange...sugar free jello with fresh fruit? Chocolate mousse in a martin glass and they did have some flan.

Our waiter Alexo was a charachter. At the end of the meal he shook our hands and thanked us..he even spotted us the next day and remebered us and wanted us to go for breakfast!

The only thing I didn't like, was at the end of the meal, they try to get you to buy a cook book!

If I wanted to cook like that at home, I wouldn't cruise!

The best part was that it was very quiet. THe one thing that I really didn't like about the ship was how loud it was. Every corner had piped in music. I'm not a big JayZee fan...

Marsha

The Solarium - What a wonderful and tranquil spot. A tad "spa like" to me. I liked it better when there weren't people in it. What? Is that bad to say out loud (wink). The tranquility gets lost when the energy and talking of all the people is present. Probably one of my most favorite areas of the ship. It is gorgeous at night also.

This is an area that it is rather tough to get a chair in. Come early. We could always find a "chair" chair but the lounge chairs, especially those facing out to see were in high demand.

I never ate at either the Vitality Spa or the "fine dining" they offered at night. I know several of the people we traveled with did. Jen(maybe) loved the "fine Dining" (I'm sure it has a name). Chime in Jen.quote]

YES! The Solarium Bistro was a fabulous dinner! I mentioned it in my little review (minus the pics), but I will say it again....it was FABULOUS! One of the most romantic places we've ever eaten for dinner. If I can figure out how to post photos on here, I'll post a couple of the photos I took. One was when we arrived and it was still daylight. The other was after it turned dark and the lights came out. My, was it gorgeous!

We had dinner at the Sol Bistro...

It was REALLY good!

It was a five course dinner and the entrees were all supposed to be under 500 calories each...

I started with a mushroom risotta with asparagus...pretty tasty, although an appetizer that is basically a bowl of rice is a little weird.

Then I has a pumpkin coconut soup. sounds a little odd, but it had spiced pumpkin seeds floating in it. It was amazing.

My husband, who was determined to make me look like a pig only opted for the iceburg salad with goat cheese. We liked it, but if you're not a fan of goat cheese, they also had spinach and caesar salads as an option.

For entrees, he opted for the Bison (which was the reason we went) It was cooked perfectly. I forget what he had as a side, but his plate had lick marks on it when he was finished!

I had the lamb. It was marinated, and came on a bed of wilted spinach and some kind ofbean medley...I skipped the beans, cause hey, it was supposed to be sort of romantic. And as you pointed out, those cabind are pretty small. We didn't have a balcony either.

The desserts were downright strange...sugar free jello with fresh fruit? Chocolate mousse in a martin glass and they did have some flan.

Our waiter Alexo was a charachter. At the end of the meal he shook our hands and thanked us..he even spotted us the next day and remebered us and wanted us to go for breakfast!

The only thing I didn't like, was at the end of the meal, they try to get you to buy a cook book!

If I wanted to cook like that at home, I wouldn't cruise!

The best part was that it was very quiet. THe one thing that I really didn't like about the ship was how loud it was. Every corner had piped in music. I'm not a big JayZee fan...

Marsha

Hmmm......they never mentioned a cook book to us....at all.

P1050228.jpg

On each side of the Solarium, as you walk aft on the ship are the cantilevered hot tubs. One thing I thought was intriguing, especially to your sports minded boys, was that the have tvs in them.

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

DSC00240.jpg

I never ate at either the Vitality Spa or the "fine dining" they offered at night. I know several of the people we traveled with did. Jen(maybe) loved the "fine Dining" (I'm sure it has a name). Chime in Jen.quote]

YES! The Solarium Bistro was a fabulous dinner! I mentioned it in my little review (minus the pics), but I will say it again....it was FABULOUS! One of the most romantic places we've ever eaten for dinner. If I can figure out how to post photos on here, I'll post a couple of the photos I took. One was when we arrived and it was still daylight. The other was after it turned dark and the lights came out. My, was it gorgeous!

If you want to shoot the pics to me, I can upload them for you.

Otherwise, I use photo bucket and just copy and paste the URL they give you.

The Entertainment Complex is on Deck 4. It is a nice area. Feels a little underground. Probably because it is only one deck high and we are spoiled, spoiled, spoiled at this point. Down here you will find the Comedy Club, the Disco, the theater, the ice skating rink (studio B) and the Casino.

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

This is the on air club. I would make sure you have reservations for this one if you want to see it. I heard so many mixed reviews on this. I heard it was the best show on the ship by a couple people. Someone on Jen's review said they weren't funny and were offensive and I saw it on the last night and thought it was OK. But there was always a line out the door. Usually if you were one of the first couple people in line you could get in but my friends tried several times and they were never able to.

Blaze is the Disco

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

My cutie husband makin' the pictures stand out. Now I know where my daughter gets it. Looks much better than just a stone wall. (smile)

Excellent review!! I'm supposed to be working on month end and I spent all morning reading your review. :D And then I text my BF and told him I wanted to go on a cruise on the Oasis or Allure. He text back ME TOO! YIPPEEE!!! Let the booking begin!!!

I know you have seen this but it is so cute

IMG_0864.jpg

This is one of the halls leading to the casino and I loved it.

DSC00253.jpg

Gorgeous display of a jellyfish (?) at the entrance to the casino

DSC00254.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

We posed with the Alien Eggs...not sure that is their official title. Maybe though?

IMG_3296-1.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

Archived