Oasis of the Seas - Photo Review

jennat

I am loving your review! I read your Alaska one too - so descriptive and funny!

The Jamaica excursion looks very cool. What do you think is the youngest age you would take on that one? My DD will be closing in on six when we are in Jamaica, and I'd love to do this, but I'm not sure she'd be old enough to handle it. Are all the jumps into the pools of water from very high up? Would it be really difficult to help her climb into the water if she didn't want to jump? What do you think?

We did that same rafting trip- so fun! When I got back I told my ( 70 yr old) mom about it, so she and all my aunties ( the older sisters :eek:) booked it on their cruise. Oh to be a fly on that river....my mom and aunties are, shall we say, a bit apple shaped. Imagine realllly big apples! Well they kept slipping through the middle of the tubes, getting stuck until just their feet and heads were sticking straight up. The guides kept having to hoist their, ummm, posteriors( yeah, that word is ok on CC) up through the hole. Finally the poor guides just put a piece of plywood on the tube and they floated along on top. Those guides really earned their tips that day!;)

I love that you brought stuff and planned a school visit. Weve done this in other places on land trips ( Africa, Costa rica) but I never would have thought to do it during a cruise! What a great idea! And don't you find it is just soooo eye opening for the kids? After those visits there is just no more whining about how their cell phone isn't the coolest one:rolleyes:

Just loving your review...it's so fun to get a good laugh- rock having a c section!!!

Hee hee, the one little boy right up front with his mouth WIDE open...I have a couple of those boys in MY class this year. I bet that teacher goes home and shares story after story about him. ;0)

And the girl in the back, in front of the blond.....walked to the front of the group and stood in front of everyone like she was the queen. So cute.

Great pictures!

What time does the Park Cafe close everyday?

I sent you an e-mail about those wonderful shirts.

Thanks

I responded to your email, let me know if you don't get it or have any questions.

The Park Cafe closes at 6:00pm

I am loving your review! I read your Alaska one too - so descriptive and funny!

The Jamaica excursion looks very cool. What do you think is the youngest age you would take on that one? My DD will be closing in on six when we are in Jamaica, and I'd love to do this, but I'm not sure she'd be old enough to handle it. Are all the jumps into the pools of water from very high up? Would it be really difficult to help her climb into the water if she didn't want to jump? What do you think?

Thanks

Welllll........My girlfriend took her child when he was 6 tubing and my nieces and nephew's would have been around 7. The company we went with didn't give life vests but she did have one so you may just want to make sure. As far as the falls go. The jumps were about, I don't know, 10-15 feet. You could certainly hand her down from each other. There is really only the one place where you HAVE to climb down to get in the water. I just stayed in the top pool for the first one. I think she would be fine.

we had 7 yr olds climbing Dunns River Falls with us.

It's hard for me to remember what a 6 year old is like so I have to equate it to cruises.

Hope this helps.

We did that same rafting trip- so fun! When I got back I told my ( 70 yr old) mom about it, so she and all my aunties ( the older sisters :eek:) booked it on their cruise. Oh to be a fly on that river....my mom and aunties are, shall we say, a bit apple shaped. Imagine realllly big apples! Well they kept slipping through the middle of the tubes, getting stuck until just their feet and heads were sticking straight up. The guides kept having to hoist their, ummm, posteriors( yeah, that word is ok on CC) up through the hole. Finally the poor guides just put a piece of plywood on the tube and they floated along on top. Those guides really earned their tips that day!;)

I love that you brought stuff and planned a school visit. Weve done this in other places on land trips ( Africa, Costa rica) but I never would have thought to do it during a cruise! What a great idea! And don't you find it is just soooo eye opening for the kids? After those visits there is just no more whining about how their cell phone isn't the coolest one:rolleyes:

Just loving your review...it's so fun to get a good laugh- rock having a c section!!!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my kids are just spoiled. I'm not sure they get it. Not so much what the island kids don't have but just how much my kids have. My son will be moving out in a couple years and the vacations several times a year will stop. He says he won't miss them, that he doesn't like traveling as much as we do......we'll see :D

I am laughing at the "bobbing apples" image. Our rafts did have plywood in the bottom of them. They just chose poorly.

Back to the school supplies, one thing we do is put it out there to the roll call and we have a bunch of people bring supplies for us. Sometimes we get more than other times but we always get something..

While in port I was interested in buying a carved Rhasta man for my wall. I didn't have much money left as I NEVER TAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO JAMAICA....so I settled for a small one. I am bummed I didn't over come my laziness and go and get more money. I love it but just need a microscope to see it!

We showered, took a rest and got ready for dinner.

I don't know what we had but on the Surf n Turf night I got the thai chicken. Don't do the surf so much. It was really, really good. It was my favorite meal sans Chops all night.

DSC00395.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

After dinner the adults headed up to the Viking Crown Lounge for a drink. It was really pretty at night.

My daughter ended up coming up and finding us so we walked around a bit with her and called it a night. Lame, I know but time was seriously flying by....

DSC00407.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

Here is the $20 Jamaican outfit she HAD to have....uh huh....DSC00424.jpg

Of course it does have shorts too

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

When we got back to the room, My dd and I watched Burlesque on the big screen from our balcony. At least for a while.....

Here we are through day 4 and I can't imagine where the time has gone. It was been crazy, a whirl wind and I don't feel like I have seen the sun or ocean hardly at all.

Tomorrow I'm going to the pool for sure!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my kids are just spoiled. I'm not sure they get it. Not so much what the island kids don't have but just how much my kids have. My son will be moving out in a couple years and the vacations several times a year will stop. He says he won't miss them, that he doesn't like traveling as much as we do......we'll see quote]

LOL! We have the opposite problem...we spend a bundle taking them to all these great places and they love and appreciate it ( no idea how THAT happened) BUT...when DH and wax on about the trips we will will take when they have flown the nest, ( soon, they are 14 and 17) we hear " but we want to come too!"

Umm, we were sorta hoping to cut our travel budget in half:p

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my kids are just spoiled. I'm not sure they get it. Not so much what the island kids don't have but just how much my kids have. My son will be moving out in a couple years and the vacations several times a year will stop. He says he won't miss them, that he doesn't like traveling as much as we do......we'll see quote]

LOL! We have the opposite problem...we spend a bundle taking them to all these great places and they love and appreciate it ( no idea how THAT happened) BUT...when DH and wax on about the trips we will will take when they have flown the nest, ( soon, they are 14 and 17) we hear " but we want to come too!"

My daughter is like that. She loves to travel.

We take several trips a year without them also, you know for practice so when they leave it won't be cold turkey.

The BVI trip I was talking about was one of those but I found out today that the Arabella is no longer sailing :eek: I can not tell you how bummed I am. They did refund our money so that is something I guess. SO so bummed!

The BVI trip I was talking about was one of those but I found out today that the Arabella is no longer sailing :eek: I can not tell you how bummed I am. They did refund our money so that is something I guess. SO so bummed!

Gosh that stinks! Did they go out of business?? But on the bright side you get to plan another one;)

We also take at least one "sans kids" trip per year...my parents did and have a fabulous marriage 50 years later (Im not an idiot...if it works...) Our upcoming Oasis is adults only with my cousin and her DH who are leaving 3 at home...all 5 are whining about how cool Oasis looks. We told them we are scouting it for them;)

Our PG in French Polynesia trip is our 25th, that will be solo too! That might be a nice one for you two if you can take the flights (tho not as far from CO:D) They are offering a juicy $400 OBC right now and it's a very small ship - it will be culture shock for us after OA!!

I love reviews with lots of pictures! Keep it coming.

However, on a sadder note......

The next cruise we have booked is a little different but I am so excited about it.

http://www.cruisearabella.com/default.shtml

It is a 110foot sailing ship in the British Virgin Islands. We are going May 6th

Are you still booked on the Arabella? We booked in August for a trip in April 2012. They contacted us later and said the owner died and they were cancelling the entire 2012 schedule. The refunded our deposit. The Arabella is up for sale the last I heard. Also, their facebook page is down.

We did not have much opportunity to travel with the kids when they were younger, always visiting family on vacations until our oldest was a senior in high school. We have taken the kids on two cruises. However we travel a fair amount for work and whatnot (maybe I do 6 trips a year and DH might do 12). Our DD loves to travel, our DS not so much. When we started planning our next trip, DD whines "I want to go." Well she and DSIL are going to join us. Difference is now it is mostly their dime not ours. I say mostly because we are giving them miles enough for one ticket to Barcelona and we upgraded their deck from lowest to be opposite our GS. DS does not seem to care. If he didn't look like me I'd have to question if he was really my son!

IMG_3286.jpg

At first I thought this guy with your son was in the witness protection program and didn't want his picture taken with you. Another irrelevant question, does your husband ever get mistaken for Phil Michelson?

At first I thought this guy with your son was in the witness protection program and didn't want his picture taken with you. Another irrelevant question, does your husband ever get mistaken for Phil Michelson?

That's funny!! That "guy" is my hubby! I actually didn't pay much attention to him when Jenn posted this pic.........the cake distracted me!:D:)

Oh no Jen!! I hate to hear that! You guys were sooooooo excited about that one. What are you going to do now? I'm sure you will figure something out......:)

oops.........didn't see your post

Found out yesterday. I am soooo bummed! What are you doing instead?? Are you going on the Diamont? I think we are just going to do it island hopping.

There is no mention of any changes on their website but I did get the money back.

Boo Hoo

What do you do for a living? If you aren't a writer of some sort, you have missed your calling! I am just having a blast reading your updates!

Thank you so much. That is kind. I appreciate it and it makes the effort worth it!! :D

Thank you so much for posting these photos. Amazing! We are booked on Allure in room 12729, so we were really excited to see your room photos!

Four words for you "use the "private" deck.

and bring a pedometer!

We did not have much opportunity to travel with the kids when they were younger, always visiting family on vacations until our oldest was a senior in high school. We have taken the kids on two cruises. However we travel a fair amount for work and whatnot (maybe I do 6 trips a year and DH might do 12). Our DD loves to travel, our DS not so much. When we started planning our next trip, DD whines "I want to go." Well she and DSIL are going to join us. Difference is now it is mostly their dime not ours. I say mostly because we are giving them miles enough for one ticket to Barcelona and we upgraded their deck from lowest to be opposite our GS. DS does not seem to care. If he didn't look like me I'd have to question if he was really my son!

LOL :D

Archived