Bringing tools of my trade

Mrs. Wilburforce

TSA allowed small embroidery needles and children's scissors on board the last time I flew Southwest back in May.

I'm wondering about Princess. I've also taken them on Amtrak and the QM2.

And while I'm asking, I may as well ask about knitting needles and crochet hooks. I don't do either of these crafts, but I'm sure there are men and women who do.

Should I just base my plans to bring my project with me in my carry on on past experience or does each cruise line have their own policy? I can't check them. I've put too much time and work into my latest project and would sooner leave it at home.

Thanks in advance.

I had forgotten to leave my pocketknife at home. Apparently the TSA inspection also forgot to detect it. I once had it in my handcarry (again, forgot to take it out) and they could see it on X-ray but couldn't find it since it was in a fold. After several attempts and re-screenings I offered to show them where it was. I was gruffly told to "DON'T TOUCH THAT BAG!", so I didn't. They ultimately let me and my very X-ray visible knife go through:confused:.

Makes you wonder doesn't it? In the US you must remove shoes but many places you can keep your belt oon, but in Europe it's belt off but shoes are okay. FUBAR!

My wife had a large pair of scissors taken in the spring as we boarded the ship. It was the 6th time on that ship and the first time the scissors were noticed.

My wife mainly brought them to cut my hair. It was a 44 day cruise. So security kept the scissors. When my wife wanted them she went to security, go them and brought them to the room. When she was finished, she took them back.

Sure made me feel safe.

My wife had a large pair of scissors taken in the spring as we boarded the ship. It was the 6th time on that ship and the first time the scissors were noticed.

My wife mainly brought them to cut my hair. It was a 44 day cruise. So security kept the scissors. When my wife wanted them she went to security, go them and brought them to the room. When she was finished, she took them back.

Sure made me feel safe.

We've only had trouble one time, and it was in Los Angeles at San Pedro, boading the Golden Princess. The port security took our scissors (about 5 to 6 inches, also used to cut DH's hair) and kept them. We were doing B2B cruises. On turnaround day 7 days later, we simply walked off the ship with a carry on, claimed the scissors, placed them in the suitcase, checked it with a porter at the curb and walked back on the ship. The suitcase, and the scissors, were delivered to our cabin before we sailed.

Oh yeah, it sure does make me feel safer!:rolleyes:

I think I'll just bring the little kid plastic blunt edge scissors and place them with the tiny blunt end embroidery needles in a separate bag. That way at least my project won't be confiscated!

When I flew in May, I called the airline to check before I packed them. I was actually a little surprised, but I did get a lot of sewing done. Four and a half hour flight from Chi-town to San Diego!

We always put scissors and sewing kits (needles) in our checked luggage, just in case. But the one that really surprised me was in Alaska when I bought an Ulu. It was not one of the cheap ones, but hand crafted by a Native American, and very sharp. I carried it separately in a bag when boarding, and showed it to security, expecting them to take it and return it when we disembarked. To my surprise I was told to take it along with me to my cabin. You just never know!

I've taken knitting needles in my carry on luggage for both the flight and the cruise without any problems. They just have to be plastic, not metal. I received some older metal knitting needles from my husband's grandmother and they're very nice to knit with but I certainly wouldn't try to take those with me.

Archived