NOLA Natives - help please!

bcwaves

We're cruising out of New Orleans in Jan of 2013. (long time off, I know) We live about an hour away and have visited NOLA a few times, but are not experts yet. What I'd like to do is get to town early on departure day and see some of the city. I want to ride the streetcars and have some beignets/coffee before boarding. We're planning to park at the terminal. What I'm wondering is do we park at the terminal (how early can we park??) and then catch the trolley to see the city OR do we park somewhere else (public lot) and then do our site seeing and then drive to the terminal?

I got an email back from RTA that says the riverfront trolley does go to the cruise terminal where you can get on/off the trolley right there.

So, what do you recommend? And, how early is too early to try and park at the terminal?

Anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks!

I'll let someone else help you with the parking question: I don't know the answer to that one.

The last upriver stop on the riverfront streetcar is John Churchill Chas Street. You can access the Convention Center from that stop but not the cruise terminal.

The closest stop to the terminal is Julia Street, about two blocks downriver.

Not sure the earliest you can get there, but we parked at the Erato pier last monday at 9:30. You can park and check your luggage, then walk less than two blocks to the Julia Street pickup point. Right now the Julia Street Pier is under renovations but by 2013 there should be no issues.

The trolley stops at Jax Brewery(SW side), which is a block and half from cafe Du Monde.

Just thought I would post a picture of the map with all of the trollies so that you can see where they go and which ones to take.

trolley.jpg

Thanks for posting it...I am going in Jan and wonder where all the trolley went. Because we are going to fly in.

Archived