share your useful tips for a royal caribbean cruise?

whimsy7

Avoid windjammer when it has just opened for lunch. Can be real crazy.

Lots of good tips here. This one I would say is conditional and not 100%. If you get to the ship early, you can get to the WJ before the masses and still do well. I've been on Majesty twice boarding early and had no problems. I've been on two Voyager class ships and had no problems, again we get on early. On Freedom, this is the biggest WJ in the fleet and we had little problems. On Allure, this tip is 100% dead on especially because there are so many other options.

On the first day of your cruise there's a little announcement on the last page of the Cruise Compass that you might miss if you're not paying attention. It says "GUEST ANNOUNCEMENTS To sign up for the Guest Celebration Announcements please visit the Guest Relations Desk located on Deck 5. Availability is on a first come first serve basis due to limited space. Announcements can include Birthday, Anniversary, Family Reunion, Engagements, "I Love You" messages." So if you want to say something, get on down to Guest Relations to put your 2 cents in! My husband and I will be on a cruise during his birthday so I'm planning on wishing him a happy birthday in the Cruise Compass. :D

On the first day of your cruise there's a little announcement on the last page of the Cruise Compass that you might miss if you're not paying attention. It says "GUEST ANNOUNCEMENTS To sign up for the Guest Celebration Announcements please visit the Guest Relations Desk located on Deck 5. Availability is on a first come first serve basis due to limited space. Announcements can include Birthday, Anniversary, Family Reunion, Engagements, "I Love You" messages." So if you want to say something, get on down to Guest Relations to put your 2 cents in! My husband and I will be on a cruise during his birthday so I'm planning on wishing him a happy birthday in the Cruise Compass. :D

We always cruise during my husband's birthday in early January and I had no idea that announcements could be made. Especially as this will be a "BIG" birthday for him, an announcement would be great. When do they make the announcements?

Another tip is not to purchase RCL's tacky birthday decorations. After a day or two you end up with streamers and paper things all over the floor. It's a personal choice, of course, but I wouldn't do it again. I did order an RCL bathrobe for him two years ago which was nicely wrapped and placed in our room on his birthday. I forget the price but it's well worth it. It washes really well and doesn't shrink. He loves it.

Oh! Another RCL specific "don't buy" I had not thought of... "Cruise in Review" DVD. OK, first timers on RCL get a pass on this because they don't already own all the canned video so it might be worth it but for later cruises the 10 minutes of snipits from your particular cruise are not worth the price.

We always cruise during my husband's birthday in early January and I had no idea that announcements could be made. Especially as this will be a "BIG" birthday for him, an announcement would be great. When do they make the announcements?

Another tip is not to purchase RCL's tacky birthday decorations. After a day or two you end up with streamers and paper things all over the floor. It's a personal choice, of course, but I wouldn't do it again. I did order an RCL bathrobe for him two years ago which was nicely wrapped and placed in our room on his birthday. I forget the price but it's well worth it. It washes really well and doesn't shrink. He loves it.

The announcements are printed on the back page of each day's Compass. Someone said they cost $25 but I can't verify that. You could always ask at the Guest Services when you board.

So you put a luggage tag on a case of water and you never saw it again ?

If I had a nickel for every well documented case of a person being denied boarding for no other reason than trying to bring their own alcohol on board I would have....well, I wouldn't have a nickel.

The water was returned the last night before the cruise ended. I still would not chance the booze smuggling, but I think you are right that no one is actually denied boarding. Here is a thread on this: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1154798

1) Avoid the trough that is the WJ when boarding the ship on the first day. A wonderful alternative is the Cafe Promenade and while eating some great sandwiches you can enjoy watching the crowd as their jaw drops from admiring the Royal Promenade

2) A very quiet area to sit, read, watch the ocean and relax is the outdoor area of Deck 4 on Voyageur and Freedom class vessels.

3) The Champagne Bar and the Viking Crown Lounge are extraordinarily wonderful places for quiet, peaceful surroundings, and a cocktail of your choice.

4) The WJ has platters of cheese (blue, swiss, Et.Cet) where we go after dinner instead of eating desert in the MDR. The cheese, plus a glass of port, while sitting on our balcony or on the Promenade is quite classy.

5) Prepay the tips. Less to worry about at the end of the cruise.

Michael and Silke

Is the Cafe Promenade "free"? or is there a charge? We are trying to avoid the stampede.

This comes from the Crystal forum, but it works on most cruise ships, and I'm about 99 1/2% sure it did on Enchantment. Since the walls are generally steel, a magnet attached to an alligator clip (about $1 at the hardware store) is great for putting your current Cruise Compass and invitations handy.

Roy

clip.jpg.b5e28d752b184b763bcf1b18a7edefba.jpg

So you put a luggage tag on a case of water and you never saw it again ?

If I had a nickel for every well documented case of a person being denied boarding for no other reason than trying to bring their own alcohol on board I would have....well, I wouldn't have a nickel.

haha ! Like !!

I use those little paper caps on the glasses for small items in the drawers or in the cabinets.

They are great for holding change, my jewelry at night and any other small items that seem to get lost in the drawers. Keeps small things from rolling around and they are easy to find.

I also bring a travel alarm and a small flashlight. I can't sleep if the bathroom light is on and the flashlight makes it easier to "go" in the night.

I bring a small plug in night light and and extension cord so I can plug in more than one thing at a time.

I saw the "announcements" for the 1st time in Sept. on Rhapsody.

I did order an RCL bathrobe for him two years ago which was nicely wrapped and placed in our room on his birthday. I forget the price but it's well worth it. It washes really well and doesn't shrink. He loves it.

Great tips everyone - thanks!!! Before our first cruise, I remember reading "Pack half as many clothes and twice as much money as you think you will need, and you will be fine" - haha, I hope I can follow that advice on our next cruise because I sure did end up with a lot of clothes and shoes that I didn't wear even one time on our first cruise! :o

canuckcruiselover: would you mind telling me, is the robe you bought the waffle weave robe? I am thinking of ordering one, but I want to make sure it is good quality. Or is the one you ordered the terry robe? Thanks!

Empty prescription bottles can be used for lots of things:

The larger ones are just the right size for holding q-tips / cotton balls.

Make your own mini-first aid kit - band-aids, tube of antiseptic cream, tweezers, etc.

Someone mentioned leaking nail polish - if the bottle is the right size and shape it may fit in a prescription bottle. Which then goes into a sandwich sized baggie.

Make-up bags can be used to carry jewelry. No reason to buy some fancy travel jewelry bag.

This little backpacking light is great for the bathroom in an inside cabin.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5319-700&categoryid=24757&brand=#.TrUY7nKLzcg

I bring a small plug in night light and and extension cord so I can plug in more than one thing at a time.

Extension cord is something that I forgot to bring and I should have known better. The plug in the bathroom is only for razors so I couldn't use my curling iron in there (on Freedom of the Seas). Not a big deal for a lot of women but I absolutely need it. You can try and do your hair in the large mirror in your room but the lighting is horrible. Absolutely useless! So if you use a blow dryer, curling iron or flat iron remember to bring that extension cord!:)

Great tips everyone - thanks!!! Before our first cruise, I remember reading "Pack half as many clothes and twice as much money as you think you will need, and you will be fine" - haha, I hope I can follow that advice on our next cruise because I sure did end up with a lot of clothes and shoes that I didn't wear even one time on our first cruise! :o

canuckcruiselover: would you mind telling me, is the robe you bought the waffle weave robe? I am thinking of ordering one, but I want to make sure it is good quality. Or is the one you ordered the terry robe? Thanks!

It's the terry robe. I don't think the waffle weave was an option then. I see it's more expensive but I would recommend the terry robe. It's very nice and has a velvety look and feel rather than a looped terry cloth.

Another great tip I read on the CC board a couple of years ago was to pack earrings in those large pill containers that you can buy in the drugstore. They have the days of the week on them. The compartments are great for storing earrings when travelling. Also, the small ziploc bags are excellent for separating necklaces -- one per bag. No more tangled necklaces!:)

Archived