Cruising with a 11 month old in 11 days!

Bartender840510

Hey all! We will be setting sail in 11 days on board Carnival Valor on a 7 day Western Caribbean visiting Grand Caymens, Cozumel, Belize and Mahogany Bay Isla Rotan, Honduras....

Anyone have a packing list for infants or items that came in useful...I'm trying to make sure we don't forget anything as well as not overpacking...also ideas on excursions or things to do in these ports with her...we will have some other family and friends along with us to that are very helpful.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

With an 11 month old, you can't really overpack! Bring plenty of diapers and wipes since those are hard to come by on the ship and in port. We typically will use large ziploc bags. Bring one for each day containing the number of diapers (plus a few extra) that you typically use during a day. That helped us. Pack outfits for cooler weather, just in case. Those may also come in handy if the ship's A/C is too cool for your little one. Go easy on the toys. There's so much to do that your little one will hardly notice them. Only bring what she absolutely can't get through the day without. Also remember feeding items, bring a few sets and a small bottle of dish soap and you can wash them in your cabin. It's really important to also bring along any meds that you might conceivably need, just in case!

ear stuff, teeth stuff.

MANY diapers, disposable everything else- bibs sippy cups, bottles.

foods.

High chairs are the kind that pull to the table. take your own sheets if baby gets fussy with different detergents.

Do you know how much is it to do laundry? I do cloth diapers.

I belive you're on the Splendor. If so, I saw a post on the Carnival boards that it's $3 wash and $3 dry, bring your own soap in case they run out in the vending machine on board.

If you haven't cruised with cloth diapers before, you may want to do a search on this board on how others have handled it.

Best,

Mia

Along with the medication - get a current weight and then call the doctor and make sure you know the correct dose for things like benedryl - most of those medicines will just say, "under 2, call your doctor."

Cozumel has Chankanaab - they have a nice little beach for babies, hiking trails, etc. along with a variety of dolphin swims if that's your thing. They have one where you hold your child while you stand on a submerged platform; you don't actually swim with them. We did that with a 2 year old once.

Thanks all for the advice...did the shopping today for all the disposable bibs placemats and dishes....still trying to compile a list and making sure I don't forget anything! :rolleyes: Anyone have and suggestions as far as car seat and stroller usage...how much do you actually use the stroller? I think we are going to bring her travel system with the carseat that fits in the stroller...she's just about out grown the car seaqt but not quite yet....any suggestions here?

Thanks all for the advice...did the shopping today for all the disposable bibs placemats and dishes....still trying to compile a list and making sure I don't forget anything! :rolleyes: Anyone have and suggestions as far as car seat and stroller usage...how much do you actually use the stroller? I think we are going to bring her travel system with the carseat that fits in the stroller...she's just about out grown the car seaqt but not quite yet....any suggestions here?

We will be doing the same thing. I honestly don't expect to use the stroller that much, but it will make it much easier to transport the carseat plus I can load it up with things that I don't have enough hands to carry. We will be taking our two different baby carriers (Beco & Hip Hammock) to carry DS in and will take the stroller out one when needed.

Do you know how much is it to do laundry? I do cloth diapers.

I would see if you can get specific information about the washing cycles on the washers as well. We do cloth, but from past experience Princess' washing machines were pretty worn and did not allow for things like extra rinses, pre-rinses, ect. They did OK getting our regular clothes clean, but I'm not trusting them with my cloth dipes. Also, there were many times that we tried to get into the laundry and would have to check back for a day or even more before we found the machines available. So with a sad heart we have decided to use disposables for the week.

If you find better luck with washing diapers on Carnival please let us know when you get back. Our next cruise may very well be on Carnival and it would be nice if I could bring cloth.

I was able to fix my packing list so that I could copy & paste it here. This is what we are packing for our 11 month old next month.

2 suits w/ shirts

Sweatvest outfit

1 more dinner outfit

2 pairs pjs

6 pairs pants

3 pairs shorts

8-10 casual shirts

2-3 swim outfits

6 pairs of socks

tennis shoes

dress shoes

water socks

Sunglasses

Hat

Jacket

140 diapers

Wipes x 2 packs

Plastic bags for diapers

Disposable changing pads

Rash cream

3-4 sippy cups

Bottle & liners

plastic spoons

high chair cover

placemat

Sippy cup/toy holders

dish soap

Bibs

zip lock baggie for wet wash cloth

Bag to carry to dinner

Formula x 2 cans

Animal crackers in ziplocks

Gerber entrees

Squeezable fruit packets

Pedialyte

Case of water

PnP w/ sheet

4 binkies

3 blankets

Couple small toys

Couple books

Beach toy basket

Inflatable float

Swim diapers

Infant seat

Stroller

Carrier

Shampoo

Bodywash

Comb

Lotion

Toothbrush/Paste

Duck tub

Bath toy

Nail Clipper

Hand sanitizer

Baby Powder (for getting sand off of hands)

Tylenol

Ibuprofen

Benedryl

Excema cream

Pedialyte

Inhaler spacer

Thermometer

Pedia Lax

Sheet with dosage info

Teething gel

I would for get the cloth diapers, I believe in them so very VERY much but Carnival machines really do vary on the ability to get them cleaned well enough. Give in and bring a box of Pampers or whatever brand you can use. The other poster has a great list. Just remember sometimes the ship is cool and the ports are HOT. It means extra clothing for a litlle one. We sailed with a 10 mo old. It worked great. Hope your cruise is wonderful.

HI,

I would actually not bring the travel system as they are really bulky. Do you have an umbrella-type stroller that has a good recline? We went with our 17 month old before and he would take all his day naps in the stroller as we walked around or even ate lunch. Plus the stroller was trim enough to stroll into the room where he could keep sleeping. Also, because it is light it was easy to put onto the boats at tender. The other suggestions are great though! Have fun!

We took our large jogging stroller with us when DS was 11.5 months and I was glad to have it. I think you'll be fine with the travel system. It won't fit through the cabin door until you fold it but that wasn't a problem for us.

We used disposable bibs a lot, got cherrios from the breakfast buffet in the mornings for daily snacks. We took lots of snack (puffs, yogurt melts, little crunchies) for dinner to keep busy, the bread also helped.

I took a few bottles of water and juice boxes for port days and some of the gerber smart sips (like milk only don't need to be refrigerated).

DS napped in his stroller a lot on board and was glad to have something with a big sun shade (we draped towels on the shade also). We have a smaller type umbrella stroller now and it wouldn't have worked as well for us on the cruise. Sure the travel system is big but we had my parents with us and a lot of times we just walked to the less crowded elevators or carried stroller (and DS) up or down a flight or 2 of stairs.

Archived