WOW! CCL ships officer states dressing up IS NOT encouraged for dinner now.

What 4 or 5 star restraunt do you wave your napkin in the air as

servers dance on table tops ?? Shorts and T-shirts are fine !

But you don't understand that is what makes it a "dining experience" , as opposed to an "eating experience" :) :) :)

I don't see it as formal attire being discouraged. Obviously, there are plenty of people who love to dress "to the 9's" and they should feel free to continue doing so.

That said, I am glad to hear that there are no longer "formal" nights, which my family and I have always dreaded. My husband and I both have to wear business attire to work and no one in our family truly enjoys dressing up. We always just felt that we HAD to (and truthfully, kind of resented having to haul the extra garment bag of "formal" clothing). After dinner on formal nights, we would rush back to our stateroom to change out of the uncomfortable clothing and dress like ourselves again. We don't dress sloppy and would never dream of showing up in the MDR for dinner in shorts.

I find it hard to believe that someone without a shirt would be allowed in the MDR. IIRC, that's a health code violation.

how about weddings where you do the same thing, put people in chair and spin them around, schmush cake in faces, throw garters, and such. are shorts and t shirts fine there as well? and no one will be turned away!

You might wave your napkin in the air. Don't presume to speak for me.

Living in Florida, I don't get the chance to dress up for work. Having spent 25 years in a corporate environment I thought I would never want to put a suit on again so I can identify with that. But you know what? I miss it. So, for me, (REPEAT, FOR ME) I like to dress elegantly in the evening. Breakfast & lunch might be a different matter!

I totally get it that many fellow cruisers don't want to go to the trouble, particularly if they are in 'school uniform' 5 days a week. But please, hairy men in a swimsuit? Yeuk. Heidi Klum on the other hand....

So, you dress in what makes you comfortable. I'll dress as I like and if I want a slightly higher level of elegance, I'll eat in the specialty restaurant and if I want to go all out, I'll pay the extra $75 for the Captain's Table experience.

My wife and I will get the compliments on how we are dressed and you won't. Don't care? Neither do I.

What a wonderful thing these boards are. Reading these pages can really help all of us have a better cruising experience. And after reading this thread I feel compelled to step in to say thank you to all of you "I'll-do-what-I-want, and-no-one-else-matter's" people.

You have finally convinced me to give up on Carnival entirely. The next cruise I book will be on another line. You have totally convinced me that I don't belong among people who think this way. Because to me, yes it really does matter whether or not the people around me respect their fellow passengers and their hosts, enough to dress appropriately.

And no, I don't believe that just because you paid for your vacation, you can do whatever you want. What you want is NOT all that matters.

And yes I totally expect someone to change into long pants and clean up before coming to the MDR. And when they say "elegant" I expect elegant. And no, I don't believe capris or khakis can ever qualify as "elegant".

And I'm totally appalled that the shirtless fellow was even allowed to step foot into the MDR, much less be served.

So I thank you all for letting me know just how awful things have gotten on Carnival lately. I hadn't realized. At the rate things are going, I expect that soon the waiters will just toss the food into the middle of the dinning room and slam the door shut. After all it will still taste the same.

You're Welcome!!

You might wave your napkin in the air. Don't presume to speak for me.

Living in Florida, I don't get the chance to dress up for work. Having spent 25 years in a corporate environment I thought I would never want to put a suit on again so I can identify with that. But you know what? I miss it. So, for me, (REPEAT, FOR ME) I like to dress elegantly in the evening. Breakfast & lunch might be a different matter!

I totally get it that many fellow cruisers don't want to go to the trouble, particularly if they are in 'school uniform' 5 days a week. But please, hairy men in a swimsuit? Yeuk. Heidi Klum on the other hand....

So, you dress in what makes you comfortable. I'll dress as I like and if I want a slightly higher level of elegance, I'll eat in the specialty restaurant and if I want to go all out, I'll pay the extra $75 for the Captain's Table experience.

My wife and I will get the compliments on how we are dressed and you won't. Don't care? Neither do I.

Your last line is the way I wish all would think. And I believe this is Carnivals stance as well. Dress up if you want, dont if you dont want. I dont believe they are "discouraging" dressing up, just not "encouraging" it as much as in the past.

What I don't agree with is others thinking I should conform to their standards in regards to being forced to wear formal wear.

I have never seen the dining room crowd look like the lido crowd ..ever...most are appropriate for current rules that leave decent guidelines and remember there still is cruise Elegant night...nothing has changed..this is just a lot of hooey.

The MDR is like a mix of the olive garden (fast food sit down) and mcdonalds. I don't get why everyone gets so bent out of shape about people wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I'll put my flame suit on, but I would say it's safe to assume that it's the "older" crowd for the most part.

I wanted to post the link,but its not allowed, so you should be careful about pasting it here. I have posted that link before and it goes poof.

Nevertheless, what remaining part of that article would have any impact on the portion I copied and pasted?

Seems to work for me:

http://www.beyondships.com/CarnivalDream-art-HD.html

Anyway, Donato was on Carnival Magic earlier May 1st of this year. He hasn't been on Dream in a while. How old is your article? How older is the news?

And this is why Carnival is not enforcing dress codes ANYWHERE anymore. Just look in the dining room for lunch and dinner. Blue jeans and tee shirts shold never be allowed in the MDR but that is my opinion. Just another way Carnival is slidding down that hill further.

Jeans have always been allowed in the MDR on Carnival. :confused:

I am curious...how many times has anyone seen someone in a suit/tie or formal gown at the buffet? Or how many times, on a non-elegant night evening, seen someone wearing a suit or gown getting pizza?

So much for those that claim they only dress up for themselves on elegant night and don't care what others wear. They dress up on elegant night as that is the designated night to put the fancy clothes on. Anything less on elegant night shouldn't be allowed. :D

Wow ???? Really??? So most people on a cruise wear shorts and cool shirts all day, you really think they should go to their rooms and change to nice long pants and/or "nicer" clothes for breakfast, lunch and dinner??? Somehow their clothing choices make them less entitled to eat in the MDR??

Carole

Well, I would never dream of speaking for anyone else here and I've only ever been on the one cruise, but truly, if I've been wearing shorts or a skirt and a t-shirt all day, they are not generally fit to be seen in the dining room by dinner time, especially after an excursion. And I am certainly not. I need a shower and if I'm going to shower, I won't be putting on the stuff I was wearing when I needed that shower. So by that time, I might as well just dress up as not.

And I am about the very last human on earth that could be described as snobbish or putting on airs. I'm a union employee working the graveyard shift and my typical work clothes are jeans, t-shirt and sneakers.

But like I said, it's just me and maybe I'm just a dirty girl after all :)

Archived