WOW! CCL ships officer states dressing up IS NOT encouraged for dinner now.

I have had a prior posting of this site link go poof.

Other Cruise & Travel Sites

Cruise Critic reserves the right to approve or deny links which lead directly to or link to cruise-related material or message boards that are not located within Cruise Critic. Additionally, we respectfully request that you do not use our forums to promote or advertise other cruise-related websites.

Maybe it was "poofed" for content of the post - and not the link??

Kind of hard to eat mashed potatoes and meatloaf or fried chicken while dressed in a suit and tie (men) and gowns (women). I say Carnvial is just letting folks dress to fit in with what is being served with dinner, take it however you want it ;)

Maybe it was "poofed" for content of the post - and not the link??

That could be, I know I've seen posts with links to the site the OP referenced alive and well over in the Holland America and Cunard message boards without any issues.

Although some of the interviews can be a bit dated on that site, it does have some wonderfuly detailed photos of many ships.

some people are taking the whole "I wear whatever I want" attitude a little too far. On our last cruise on the Dream, a couple was sitting not too far from us at the MDR during lunch. The husband attire consisted of swim trunks and no shirt.

I know that lunch attire is much more liberal than for dinner, but I think that common sense and courtesy should still reign. Who wants to eat while staring at sweaty, hairy armpits, and a beer gut hanging over the table?

Exactly! I could not believe some of what I saw on Freedom and Dream as far as what was worn in the MDR. I am not one to wear gowns and go all out but I do like to wear nice slacks, skirts, and dress what I would call work attire. Makes me feel weird when I am sitting their (at dinner) in nice clothing and people next to me are in flip flops and pool attire. There is no enforcement.

On our last RCI cruise, my stepdad came to dinner in khaki shorts and was made to go back and change into pants. They enforced it the dress code.

Ah well, to each their own! Personally it doesn't matter to me what anyone else wears. It won't make or break my trip or dining experience if someone wears jeans at the table next to me! I'm not there to observe everyone else I am there to enjoy a great meal and relax with the one I love.

We have always dressed up for the MDR, but who knows maybe one or two nights in January we might break tradition and show up in our dressy jeans too LOL

Exactly! I could not believe some of what I saw on Freedom and Dream as far as what was worn in the MDR. I am not one to wear gowns and go all out but I do like to wear nice slacks, skirts, and dress what I would call work attire. Makes me feel weird when I am sitting their (at dinner) in nice clothing and people next to me are in flip flops and pool attire. There is no enforcement.

On our last RCI cruise, my stepdad came to dinner in khaki shorts and was made to go back and change into pants. They enforced it the dress code.

Work attire is different for everyone also , It is RARE to see a suit these days , Attire in this area is jeans , tshirts , polo shirts . A lot depends on the area of the country you come from. Jeans ,Shorts , T-shirts are fine in the MDR

What ever people are wearing isnt going to change the taste of my lobster!:D Would I be comfortable going in a swimsuit and t-shirt? No, but who am I to say what somebody else should be wearing? This is another subject, liks SOOOO many on here that is overblown. I'm not sure why people on this board love beating dead horses so much.

What ever people are wearing isnt going to change the taste of my lobster!:D Would I be comfortable going in a swimsuit and t-shirt? No, but who am I to say what somebody else should be wearing? This is another subject, liks SOOOO many on here that is overblown. I'm not sure why people on this board love beating dead horses so much.

restaurants and cruise ships would love more people like you.

they wouldn't have to decorate their dining rooms so elegantly, and the lobster will taste the same.

Cool. I always thought that it was silly to require everyone to dress up for dinner.

IF you want to, do it. If not, don't.

I can't understand why one party wants to tell the other party what to wear.

Regardless of how you want to dress (tux/gown or shirt/slacks/dress), why insist that the side you fall on is the "Only Way" it should be?

I agree with you 100%. I would not be comfortable dressing in a swimsuit and t shirt either. However, it is beyond my comprehension why anyone cares what anyone else wears? As long as you are clean and decently covered I wouldn't even notice what the people next to me are wearing.

As you say, it doesn't change the taste of the food! It also doesn't change the quality of the service or the pleasure of the company I keep :) Also to address the hairy armpit issue: Why look? Surely there are other things to look at unless you enjoy focusing on the negative? I am not a connoisseur of hairy armpits myself but if there should be some exposed ones at the table beside me I would look everywhere BUT there LOL

Unless the dressers in question are one of my employees I would never take it upon myself to tell them how to dress.

restaurants and cruise ships would love more people like you.

they wouldn't have to decorate their dining rooms so elegantly, and the lobster will taste the same.

You are not that far off. The best steak I eat locally is at a restraunt called the "Eddies Steak Shed". And that is not far from how it looks. But I get consistently great steak and great service from waitresses that would remind you of Flo from the old tv show Alice. And I sit next to farmers right out of the field or guys right off the construction sight or business men in suits. But I prefer to go here and get a steak comparable to ones a mile down the road at Ruth Criss but cost twice as much.

Do I think how people are dressed affects the ambiance of a restraunt or cruise? Not really, not for me anyway. Maybe I am not as refined as many of you think you are. I like to go to restraunts or on cruise ships I feel comfortable in with the surroundings. And that happens to be CCL with their current decorations and their current relaxed attitude on dress code. If that ever changes, I will move on and not whine about it in the process.

You are not that far off. The best steak I eat locally is at a restraunt called the "Eddies Steak Shed". And that is not far from how it looks. But I get consistently great steak and great service from waitresses that would remind you of Flo from the old tv show Alice. And I sit next to farmers right out of the field or guys right off the construction sight or business men in suits. But I prefer to go here and get a steak comparable to ones a mile down the road at Ruth Criss but cost twice as much.

Do I think how people are dressed affects the ambiance of a restraunt or cruise? Not really, not for me anyway. Maybe I am not as refined as many of you think you are. I like to go to restraunts or on cruise ships I feel comfortable in with the surroundings. And that happens to be CCL with their current decorations and their current relaxed attitude on dress code. If that ever changes, I will move on and not whine about it in the process.

and therefore, you have hit on what makes eating different than dining.

We like to dress up for formal nights, but with the rigid luggage restrictions the suit coat, and extra dresses stay home, i have one black dress that i wear different jewelry with for formal night, and hubby wears a tie to match my accessories.

and therefore, you have hit on what makes eating different than dining.

And what is wrong with that.

Some people just enjoy a nice meal , in a nice atmosphere , server by nice people shared with people they enjoy being with.

Not everyone cares about if they are eating on fine china and crystal wine glasses , or that there are Picassos on the wall, or that the the chef used to be the personal chef of so and so celbebrity.

The meal doesn't have to be the latest trendy "fusion" dish and who cares if the wine is a '57 or a '59 de Rothschild.

And what is wrong with that.

Some people just enjoy a nice meal , in a nice atmosphere , server by nice people shared with people they enjoy being with.

Not everyone cares about if they are eating on fine china and crystal wine glasses , or that there are Picassos on the wall, or that the the chef used to be the personal chef of so and so celbebrity.

The meal doesn't have to be the latest trendy "fusion" dish and who cares if the wine is a '57 or a '59 de Rothschild.

where was there even an insinuation that there was something wrong with it? :confused:

Archived