WOW! CCL ships officer states dressing up IS NOT encouraged for dinner now.

This was stated by Donato Becce, Hotel director of the Dream ( I cannot post the link but its on "beyondships";)......

There are also options with regard to the formality of the dining experience.

“Some guests like to dress up, some do not. If they like to dress up, we have the

[Chef’s Art] Steakhouse where they can have a little more ambiance with dinner.

But we do not encourage people to dress up with tie and jacket in the [main] dining

rooms. What are they doing on a daily basis - - working. Break away from the

routine. Basically, come onboard and have fun, enjoy it. There is something for

everyone to enjoy

This was stated by Donato Becce, Hotel director of the Dream ( I cannot post the link but its on "beyondships";)......

“Some guests like to dress up, some do not. If they like to dress up, we have the

But we do not encourage people to dress up with tie and jacket in the [main] dining

everyone to enjoy

It's been that way for most nights for quite a while now. Ties and jackets are only encouraged - but still not required - even for the "elegant nights".

everyone to enjoy

Here is the link: http://www.beyondships.com/CarnivalDream-art-HD.html

YOU really should be careful about just plucking a chunk of an article and pasting it here :eek:. It takes it out of context.... :rolleyes:

Here is the link: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

YOU really should be careful about just plucking a chunk of an article and pasting it here :eek:. It takes it out of context.... :rolleyes:

I wanted to post the link,but its not allowed, so you should be careful about pasting it here. I have posted that link before and it goes poof.

Nevertheless, what remaining part of that article would have any impact on the portion I copied and pasted?

everyone to enjoy

And this is why Carnival is not enforcing dress codes ANYWHERE anymore. Just look in the dining room for lunch and dinner. Blue jeans and tee shirts shold never be allowed in the MDR but that is my opinion. Just another way Carnival is slidding down that hill further.

So no more Elegant night or Captain night?

In some way it is good, because with the luggage charges now a day, the extra pair of dress shoe could be heavy.

But I am going to miss watching all the people in their glory...it is fun watching people all doll up. So pretty...

Nevertheless, what remaining part of that article would have any impact on the portion I copied and pasted?

IMHO.......The entire discussion of Anytime Dining and the flexibility that Carnival is trying to offer. He was in no way "not encouraging" dressing up....he was discussing the options available to all guests - under Carnival current policy. ;)

So no more Elegant night or Captain night?

In some way it is good, because with the luggage charges now a day, the extra pair of dress shoe could be heavy.

But I am going to miss watching all the people in their glory...it is fun watching people all doll up. So pretty...

They still have "elegant night" - but they do not require a coat and tie, even on elegant night :o.

I too miss the old "formal night" - it was a special part of cruising. But nothing is constant - but change - and I understand that was then and this is now! ;)

This has been my opinion for a long time. Nice golf or tropical shirt with a pair of shorts and I am cruising in style. I have to wear dress slacks, button down shirts and a coat almost everyday for work, why the heck do I want to do this on a cruise vacation. On elegant night I usually wear a pair of dress pants and change into shorts after dinner.

The days of old traditional cruising are no longer part of Carnival's future. If you want to stay in those days there are alot of cruising options that still require the formal side.

this has been my opinion for a long time. Nice golf or tropical shirt with a pair of shorts and i am cruising in style. I have to wear dress slacks, button down shirts and a coat almost everyday for work, why the heck do i want to do this on a cruise vacation. On elegant night i usually wear a pair of dress pants and change into shorts after dinner.

the days of old traditional cruising are no longer part of carnival's future. if you want to stay in those days there are alot of cruising options that still require the formal side.

Very true!

I wanted to post the link,but its not allowed, so you should be careful about pasting it here. I have posted that link before and it goes poof.

to be honest the article was written February 2010 if you click the PDF file it easily shows this.

A lot on that site is outdated.

Guess I don't see what the problem is, it's your cruise. My wife and I both enjoy dressing up. We look forward to it, an extra pair of shoes is no big deal. We are so stinking tired of what we wear on a daily basis it's not funny.... navy blue! (Fire/EMS for both of us). Our 3yo GD will be on our next cruise in January headed to Aruba with us, long gown already bought and she loves it.... we will be on the Miracle "strutting our stuff", having the time of our lives, hey that would make a good song! :)

We all like to dress up...My dh wears Dress Slacks and Button Down shirt and shoes everyday to work, so for him to dress in a nice polo and a nice pair of shorts or even Pants is a nice change for him....both my kids like to dress nice as well myself...and It doesn't matter to us if we feel good that is all that matters

?

Actually you're mistaken.

Posting the link is very much encouraged. Just doing a copy and paste can violate copyright laws.

some people are taking the whole "I wear whatever I want" attitude a little too far. On our last cruise on the Dream, a couple was sitting not too far from us at the MDR during lunch. The husband attire consisted of swim trunks and no shirt.

I know that lunch attire is much more liberal than for dinner, but I think that common sense and courtesy should still reign. Who wants to eat while staring at sweaty, hairy armpits, and a beer gut hanging over the table?

Having a choice is awesome. Sometimes, I don't feel like packing the formal wear...I feel like just relaxing and not worrying about schedules, attire, etc. Other times, I look forward to getting the sequins and tuxes out of the closets! I like Carnival's attitude of letting us choose and anything that is neat and clean (including nice shorts and polos) is acceptable! This is why we are returning Carnival guests!

Actually you're mistaken.

Posting the link is very much encouraged. Just doing a copy and paste can violate copyright laws.

I have had a prior posting of this site link go poof.

Other Cruise & Travel Sites

Cruise Critic reserves the right to approve or deny links which lead directly to or link to cruise-related material or message boards that are not located within Cruise Critic. Additionally, we respectfully request that you do not use our forums to promote or advertise other cruise-related websites.

I better not tell my husband. He just spend $200 on a suit so he wouldnt feel so uncomfortable on formal night. :eek:

Wait until he finds out that there are no more Formal nights.:eek:

Please consult the website for the most complete and accurate details of the dress codes,elegant nights and what to wear/pack.

everyone to enjoy

And that was one, of many, things I really LOVED about Carnival.... No more silly, out dated, dress code! Those who WANT to, and ENJOY dressign to the nines are certainly able to, and do.... Those who have no interest in dressing formally, don't have to just because others want to!

Archived