Navigator drops Savannah in April Cruise

2old4this

Go get 'em Jack!!! I am so disappointed that Savannah will not be a stop for us.

As for Nassau, the last time I was there was some 28 years ago, and even then, I hated it. It was just a tourist trap type of place, with mostly overpriced shops. Very little in the way of history or interesting background. We are lucky that we are there for such a short period of time, and have the dolphin adventure to look forward to (if we had not secured that excursion, I probably would not have bothered to get off the ship either).

Tami

whatnot, I'd love some suggestions for good low country food. We don't mind taking a taxi either, if it means getting some authentic southern cooking. If you'd prefer to post on the roll call, it is located at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1405945. Or if you don't mind using email, my address is kobold dot tami at gmail dot com.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Tami

Tami,

On our just completed Navigator cruises, we had excellent dinners at Hominy Grill and Husk in Charleston. I highly recommend them.

Dave

Your position regarding Nassau screams for explanation. Having never been there, I would like to know why its a bad port to visit. I see others share your opinion and maybe you can all weigh in on why Regent should dump Nassau as a visitor stop. Meanwhile, I signed up for the Blue Lagoon Island Dolphin Encounter. What should I expect from this excursion?Jack Morris

We didn't do the dolphin encounter, I'm not fond on these so-called encounters for several reasons and it was canceled for this cruise due to wind.

To put it bluntly, Nassau is sad. How such a lovely island could fall this far is hard to explain. Nothing has been kept up, litter lines the streets, drunks/druggies and starving dogs seem to be at every park.

Our tour took us on a ride to see all this: a couple of fortresses where you could pay to see inside or you could walk around free while avoiding the broken booze bottles, hungry dogs and smell of urine.

We then went on a ride, passing such landmarks as the hospital where Anna Nicole Smith gave birth and where her son died, the church where the same ANS had a funeral, Bob Marley's widow's spa, the huge banking empire that closed shop overnight and assorted other oddities. We had a stop at grocery store/ pirated DVD stop, to purchase drinks or food for our "beach break". I did, however admire the many creative ways painted posters reminded the citizens about the dangers of AIDS and the importance of condoms; "wrap your meat" was amusing.

The driver dumped us a small crescent of a beach, telling us about the restaurant where we might like to eat (no way) but it wasn't open anyway. We were to spend an hour on this beach in the blowing wind, no place to sit and the tide was coming in. Most of us asked if, perhaps, it wouldn't be wiser to return to the starting point, maybe a little shopping? Nope, he said the other drivers would return for us. In the end though, he stayed and 35 minutes into our beach hour, he drove us back. He wasn't happy about it and to prove the point, he blasted up the radio, stopped talking to us and drove like crazy to dump us off.

If independence was good for the Bahamas, it isn't working well now. Huge hotels and ships bring in plenty of tourist dollars but it isn't improving the lives of the Bahamians and apparently, nothing is being spent to allow visitors to enjoy the culture and the history of the islands.

Someone needs to tell/remind the Bahamas that not all who visit are looking for giant resorts or ganja or the chance to drink until you puke.

Wow, SuzK, it sounds like Nassau has turned into even more of a dump than it was 28 years ago. Thanks for the detailed explanation...we might very well opt to just stay onboard regardless of the dolphin encounter (and I understand your concerns about that one, having actually swam with wild dolphins when I lived in Florida).

Tami

There are big plans to enlarge the port of Savannah, dependent on agreement from state of SC and EPD amd most importantly, federal funding; has been in the works for several yrs. But, the emphasis is on cargo ships, especially the larger ones as the modifications to the Panama Canal will allow even larger ones. There was an article in the last few days in the ATL newspaper, ajc.com. Don't have time right now to find link.

Without any inside information, I would assume that the preference for cargo ships is all about $$$, hard to turn away a repeat cargo line when cruise ships only come in a few months a year. Savannah one of the busiest cargo ports in the US, and growing, growing for this market.

SuzK, that _is_ sad. (Especially the dogs.)

I grew up in the Bahamas -- I spent ages 5 through 12 in Freeport, on Grand Bahama Island. In all of those years, out family never once made a trip to Nassau, and I've still never been there, though I go back to Freeport once or twice each year.

I guess it wasn't so hot even back then (40 years ago!) -- at least not when compared to the laid-back atmosphere of the big island....

Your position regarding Nassau screams for explanation. Having never been there, I would like to know why its a bad port to visit. I see others share your opinion and maybe you can all weigh in on why Regent should dump Nassau as a visitor stop. Meanwhile, I signed up for the Blue Lagoon Island Dolphin Encounter. What should I expect from this excursion?Jack Morris
Nassau is the go-to-port if you want to have beads braided into your hair!

Just in case anyone's interested, latest about Savannah port, http://www.ajc.com/business/savannah-port-passes-key-1222363.html

gf - Great timely piece on Savannah and thanks for making it easily reached. It says enough to give reason why Regent's Navigator has been denied docking in April. Jack Morris

Jack, the problem is, the reported dredging of the Savannah River is not supposed to take place until well into next year...well beyond our cruise time. Top that off with SuzK's remarks that her Regent cruise was able to dock in Savannah just last week, and I can only assume that Regent has decided that Savannah's red tape is simply too much to deal with and thus they will remove Savannah from all future itineraries. I am not happy with that decision...and just today almost canceled our cruise based on some other information I have recently received regarding accommodations in the area which far surpass Regent's at a much lower cost. But, combining the Bermuda part of the itinerary, I figured the cruise was still a better deal. But I do believe Regent will have to rethink this particular itinerary for the future, to determine if it is really worth the bother...seems to me they could better position the Navigator somewhere in the Caribbean where there are more clients willing and wanting to take the plunge.

TahoeTraveler - I'm still waiting for Savannah's Better Business Bureau and its Chamber of Commerce to reply to my emails. Their answers will likely be moot by the time I read them. In the meantime we have been viewing materials such as the news clip given us by gf and your own comments as a past resident of the Savannah area. This combined information from you two points to disruption at the port and its choking ship traffic as reason why, Navigator, as small as it is, can't find a pier.

I imagine that a passenger quiz right not regarding the April port calls for Navigator would demonstrate that the majority of us had selected this cruise because of the Savannah stop with the other ports coming in second and Nassau at the bottom.

When I get a reply from the BBB and the Chamber I'll report my findings. Jack Morris

Jack, I am even more concerned about our cruise after pulling it up on the RSSC website. Apparently we are not the only ones upset about the cancellation of Savannah...all categories which were previously sold out/wait listed are now showing as available, and there is only one category which is guaranteed. In other words, our cruise which leaves in less than 5 months is woefully undersold. I am very concerned that Regent will cancel or completely change the itinerary of the cruise to attract more people, after the penalty date so there is nothing we can do about it without losing money. Either that, or load it up at the last minute with comped cabins to travel agents, making for a cruise catered to industry folks rather than the normal paying passengers.

Top that off with the fact that Regent has continued to raise the price of the cruise, despite the lack of interest in it, and I have to wonder if we should just cancel and then rebook when it is closer to the cruise date, under the assumption that the price will have to drop eventually if the cruise isn't even half sold. Does anyone know if Regent drops prices at the last minute for undersold cruises? Or do they stick to their guns and sail with emptier ships? I just really am not getting the warm fuzzy about this cruise and would appreciate any advice.

Tami

Jack, I am even more concerned about our cruise after pulling it up on the RSSC website. Apparently we are not the only ones upset about the cancellation of Savannah...all categories which were previously sold out/wait listed are now showing as available, and there is only one category which is guaranteed. In other words, our cruise which leaves in less than 5 months is woefully undersold. I am very concerned that Regent will cancel or completely change the itinerary of the cruise to attract more people, after the penalty date so there is nothing we can do about it without losing money. Either that, or load it up at the last minute with comped cabins to travel agents, making for a cruise catered to industry folks rather than the normal paying passengers.

Top that off with the fact that Regent has continued to raise the price of the cruise, despite the lack of interest in it, and I have to wonder if we should just cancel and then rebook when it is closer to the cruise date, under the assumption that the price will have to drop eventually if the cruise isn't even half sold. Does anyone know if Regent drops prices at the last minute for undersold cruises? Or do they stick to their guns and sail with emptier ships? I just really am not getting the warm fuzzy about this cruise and would appreciate any advice.

Tami

Tami,

I checked the available suites on your cruise and I think you're overreacting based upon a faulty assumption. I estimate that Regent has sold about 75% to 85% of the suites on your cruise. Since Regent's break even load factor is 80% of suites (according to Mark Conroy), your cruise is not "woefully undersold" and is certainly not less than "half sold." I don't see Regent doing anything drastic with pricing before your cruise but if Regent does reduce prices, your TA should be able to get the price reduction applied to you.

I think you probably counted the number of categories with available suites and concluded that since more than half the categories had suites available, less than half the suites had been sold. Since a category will show as available if only one suite is available, using the percentage of categories with availability as a measure of the number of suites sold usually leads to inaccurate results.

I just got off the same cruise and there is the potential for rough seas between Charleston and Bermuda and between Bermuda and Nassau. In my opinion, and in the opinion of many other passengers, the approximately 36 hours of extremely rough seas we encountered between Charleston and Bermuda were the roughest we had ever encountered. At least eight passengers left the cruise in Bermuda and flew to Ft. Lauderdale. The sea day between Bermuda and Nassau was also very rough and resulted in the closure of La Veranda because of injuries to some passengers and crew members.

So, while the potential of rough seas might lead someone to consider canceling, worry about the number of suites sold should not be a consideration IMHO. Just sit back, take a deep breath and relax. :D

Tami

TahoeTraveler - As DaveFR suggests we probably should 'sit back and relax' and see what will develop betwix now and the 1st the year. Perhaps this cruise will prove to be much more of an adventure given the elements of changes and concerns so many have expressed to date. If Regent has reached its 85% break even head count and sells no more, our passenger count takes Navigator from the small cruise ship size to that of a very large yacht. That additional space for we, the remaining passengers, wouldn't bother me in the least.

The rant about Nassau by a few of our CC contributors rings in my ears. I wonder why the various cruise ship lines have not forced the Nassau business leaders to make their port call more attractive. Surely the cruise line's refusal to stop there for even a month or two would get their immediate attention. Or do what some lines have done, buy a small island, and create a paradise. This was done by Holland America as TahoeTraveler knows quite well.. In this way, Nassau becomes unnecessary. All those in favor of a Regent-owned beach site, say 'Aye'. Jack Morris

Jack, our Regent cruise next month stops at Eleuthera, only 50 miles away from Nassau. Princess Cays is the private island you're looking for, although this one was built by Princess Cruise Lines and Regent just rents it! I'm not sure why Regent doesn't send its other cruises there if Nassau is such an unpopular destination.

-- Eric

The rant about Nassau by a few of our CC contributors rings in my ears. I wonder why the various cruise ship lines have not forced the Nassau business leaders to make their port call more attractive.

I suspect that Nassau's problem is not that it's not attractive, but that it's just too popular. Whenever we've been there it's been packed with cruise ships, and the immediate port area is just a zoo. Yes, there is rampant tourist commerce, but you can't fault them for that.

Dave, thanks for the information and encouraging words. I admit all I looked at was the initial fares page, and it was there that I noticed several previously sold out categories are now available. Since it only takes one cabin coming available to open a category up, it is possible there have only been a few cancellations due to the dropping of Savannah. Of course, now I have to worry about rough seas...!

Sure wish we could do Eleuthera instead of Nassau. I love those private islands, especially when you're the only ship there.

Jack, I believe our penalty phase begins on 4 Dec, so waiting until the first of the year to decide what to do is probably not a good idea. I need to check with my TA next week to get her thoughts on everything from the possibility of the cruise price dropping to sea states to Bermuda in early April. Will let you know via email if I find anything interesting out.

Jack, our Regent cruise next month stops at Eleuthera, only 50 miles away from Nassau. Princess Cays is the private island you're looking for, although this one was built by Princess Cruise Lines and Regent just rents it! I'm not sure why Regent doesn't send its other cruises there if Nassau is such an unpopular destination.

-- Eric

Cruiseej - Never heard of the place, Eleuthera. But I will vote to give it a couple days should Regent seek my opinion. That not being likely, I'll have to settle for crowded Nassau. Jack Morris

Dave, thanks for the information and encouraging words. I admit all I looked at was the initial fares page, and it was there that I noticed several previously sold out categories are now available. Since it only takes one cabin coming available to open a category up, it is possible there have only been a few cancellations due to the dropping of Savannah. Of course, now I have to worry about rough seas...!

Sure wish we could do Eleuthera instead of Nassau. I love those private islands, especially when you're the only ship there.

Jack, I believe our penalty phase begins on 4 Dec, so waiting until the first of the year to decide what to do is probably not a good idea. I need to check with my TA next week to get her thoughts on everything from the possibility of the cruise price dropping to sea states to Bermuda in early April. Will let you know via email if I find anything interesting out.

TahoeTraveler - I'm so eager to climb aboard Navigator after all these months of planning that there is no turning back now. I am anxious to know what our mutual TA comes up with in any advent. Do you suppose we might also get bumped at Nassau, given the traffic there, and head for Eleuthera instead? Maybe all of us with tickets should bombard the Regent front office with a clamor for Eleuthera instead of that ship parking lot called Nassau. Jack Morris

Jack, I'd never heard of Eleuthera either, until it was there on the itinerary of the Mariner cruise we decided to book for this December. Here's a map which shows the island of Eleuthera and its proximity to Nassau.

goodbaha.jpg

I'm not sure the Princess private island makes this a particularly grand destination, but we'll be happy with a "beach day". (Although we're strangely in port only from 8 am to 2 pm, so it's more like a "beach morning".)

-- Eric

Archived