Piano Bar Tipping

pmang

In the piano bar, you are tipping for a specific service. You want to request a certain song played, drop in a couple bucks. You don't want anything special, just sit and listen. Simple....

Let's try not to turn this into a personal crusade against auto tips... They don't apply here....

It seems like they need to know how to promote themselves and tips.

The good ones using the piano whore style seem to do extremely well but the real good ones are mostly gone from Carnival.

Yes, the real good ones are gone because of all the extra BS that goes along with the job. There are too many other good gigs out there where you don't have to walk around wearing an "Ask Me" t-shirt or playing afternoons on the Lido deck...

In the piano bar, you are tipping for a specific service. You want to request a certain song played, drop in a couple bucks. You don't want anything special, just sit and listen. Simple....

Let's try not to turn this into a personal crusade against auto tips... They don't apply here....

they do if the guy gets a cut of the entertainment tips.

why tip twice just to hear bohemian rhapsody.

poorly.

Yes, the real good ones are gone because of all the extra BS that goes along with the job. There are too many other good gigs out there where you don't have to walk around wearing an "Ask Me" t-shirt or playing afternoons on the Lido deck...

You really think that is the reason? Would think it would be a matter of pay.

Piano bar was always packed. Entertainer was very good and he had a following that came every night.

Each ship is different, each cruise can be different.

Guess we were lucky to have a good one.

sad to say it's been 23 years since we had a good one. :(

You really think that is the reason? Would think it would be a matter of pay.

Yes, the pay is lower than other land/sea gigs.... these extra duties have a lot to do with it as well... Put it together and this is not a desirable gig any more... Too bad for everyone...

they do if the guy gets a cut of the entertainment tips.

why tip twice just to hear bohemian rhapsody.

poorly.

Go in with that attitude... I'm sure the performers will love to play anything you ask for....

So using your logic, if (huge if as I don't think this is happening), the player is get a penny or two out of your new daily $2, he should play any request you demand? I don't think so..... a request is an EXTRA service just for you...

Plus, I would never play Bohemian Rhapsody for less than $20 (and I can play it well!)... Song is a huge PITA.....

Go in with that attitude... I'm sure the performers will love to play anything you ask for....

So using your logic, if (huge if as I don't think this is happening), the player is get a penny or two out of your new daily $2, he should play any request you demand? I don't think so..... a request is an EXTRA service just for you...

Plus, I would never play Bohemian Rhapsody for less than $20 (and I can play it well!)... Song is a huge PITA.....

so can i. but if i wish to show off for free, i'll play fools overture by supertramp, or tonight/carla etude by reginal dwight.

so can i. but if i wish to show off for free, i'll play fools overture by supertramp, or tonight/carla etude by reginal dwight.

good for you.. now get a job that forces you to wear an "ask me" shirt and you can get rich off a percentage of the new $2 a day......

You seem to know a lot more than I do about playing but why 20? Figure when I tip will give 5

Not officially set in stone... but used almost as a deterrent. That isn't a song you want to play all the time. Once or twice a week is best. It requires a LOT of crowd interaction to be effective. Sometimes, a player puts a high "reserve" on a song so it isn't over played. If done right, it can be a lot of fun for everyone...

If you tip $5 for songs, the player is going to like you and take care of you all week.... Some people will put $1 (or nothing) for a song like Piano Man and wonder why it isn't being played (asked for an average of 10+ times a night)... You can't possibly play it every time it's requested.

Why has this board suddenly (well, guess not suddenly...sadly it's been this why for a long time)- but why does every post have to become a personal tit for tat between some posters. Geesh!!

OP was just stating that if you go into the piano bar and would like to request a song, please remember to throw a few bucks into the piano man's tip jar...if you don't want to, then don't. You can still go to the bar and sing along and have a wonderful time. If you would like to tip...then great.

I thought whole purpose of this board was to pass along information to newbies and seasoned cruisers alike. :(

Anyway- thanks for reminding folks, OP. I had a blast in the Ivory bar aboard the Pride and can't wait to get back there soon...

Just off the Paradise canal transit and while the PB was not hopping, somewhat owing to the demographics of the sailing, the few of us there had a blast and closed the place down each night. I tossed (and missed) a Lincoln into the fishbowl each night in thanks for his work and entertainment - even without a crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just off the Paradise canal transit and while the PB was not hopping, somewhat owing to the demographics of the sailing, the few of us there had a blast and closed the place down each night. I tossed (and missed) a Lincoln into the fishbowl each night in thanks for his work and entertainment - even without a crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That made me laugh on the Glory we had a real good piano player and we went nightly and everytime I tried to put Mr. Lincoln in the Bowl I would miss , Of course it was moving ......:D

We have never gone to the piano bar on any ship. I think mostly because it has been a smoking area and we are non-smokers and have read on here how bad the smoke is. Now that some of the piano bars (or maybe all for all I know) are non-smoking, if we just drop by for a few minutes, don't request a song, just listen and buy a drink, are we supposed to tip the piano bar player?

We have never gone to the piano bar on any ship. I think mostly because it has been a smoking area and we are non-smokers and have read on here how bad the smoke is. Now that some of the piano bars (or maybe all for all I know) are non-smoking, if we just drop by for a few minutes, don't request a song, just listen and buy a drink, are we supposed to tip the piano bar player?
You don't need to tip. If you really enjoy the music, and feel you'd like to, you can put some money in. The only time a tip is expected is when you request a particular song. It's all your personal choice.

To Mr. Pete & sailing away: A friend of mine plays in a dueling piano bar. One evening, he and the other player were paid over $500 to NOT play a song......

The song? Garth Brooks, Friends in Low Places.

Enjoy,

Ron

With all the commentary about tipping the past few days, I just wanted to remind everyone that if you are requesting songs in the piano bar, it is customary to tip the performer a few bucks... This most certainly isn't covered by any auto tips... Sing along and have a blast, but if you're shouting out songs to be played, throw something in the jar.... Not trying to start an argument here... Just a friendly reminder to all. Have fun out there!!:)

Thanks for the reminder!!

Archived