Celebrity Summit vs. RCL Explorer Of The Seas

CK77

My Wife and I (just the two of us) are planning a cruise to Bermuda in 2012 and are interested in finding out the differences between these two ships. They both cruise out of New Jersey, which works out great for us here in Connecticut. We are in our early 50’s.

We had a great first cruise earlier this year aboard the Caribbean Princess and we learned quite a bit about what we enjoy while on a cruise.

Could anyone contrast and compare these two Cruise ships?

How are the Buffets? (We love a good Buffet)

How are the MDR’s and specialty Restaurants?

How would you rate the Entertainment in the Lounges and Bars at night?

Live Bands?

Theater?

Are there many activities during the day to stay busy while cruising?

How does the Service compare?

In my reading I sense that Celebrity is a bit more upscale for their dress code, is this correct?

Thanks

We have been to Bermuda a few times with Celebrity and enjoyed it. Our sailing on the Summit was to Hawaii. Yes, Celebrity will be more upscale to RCI.

I highly recommend Celebrity.

The dining room is very nice and their specialty restaurant on board the Summit was so good that we dined their twice and thought it the total experience cuisine, service and ambience was one of the best we have had at sea.

Service on board the ship was quite nice.

Keith

ck7,

I think you will love Bermuda. DW and I have been there twice on Explorer and are returning in May on Enchantment of the Seas. We have fallen in love with Explorer and, in fact, are boarding her next week for a 10 night Caribbean cruise. We HIGHLY recommend this ship HOWEVER, we cannot offer any comparison as we have not sailed on the "X". I do know you will not be disappointed in Explorer.

We have sailed on both ships although not to Bermuda yet. We liked both of them for different reasons. The food on the Summit was a tad bit better than on the Explorer and the MDR service was much better on the Summit - I love having a sommalier in the MDR which the Explorer does not have. We enjoyed the shows on both ships but I will say the Summit just launched two new shows in Sept. that were two of the best shows we've ever seen. The Summit is also scheduled to go into drydock in Jan. 2012 for renovations and the addition of some amenities. The nightlife on the Explorer tends to go later but the actual lounge entertainers on the Summit were better (in our opinion) than the ones on the Explorer. We loved the lectures and classes on the Summit - we're not into the poolside contests etc on RCI ships. In our opinion, the overall service and attitude of the employees on the Summit was superior to any of the RCI ships. And if you are eligible for any of the perks of repeat cruising, I think the Celebrity perks and coupon books are better.

Archived