Princess Denali Lodge vs McKinley Chalet Resort

ihopfar

Am I correct that the Princess Denali Lodge vs McKinley Chalet Resort are next door to each other, so as far as location is concerned, they are "the same"?

What are the differences between the two that I should know about, or are they basically the same?

One difference I found is that the Princess Denali seems to only run the shuttle to visitors center and WAC every hour (and charges for it?), where the McKinley Chalet Resort runs their complimentary shuttle every 30 minutes. Is this true?

What else should I know?

Thank you,

Brad

Through the years I have actually stayed twice at the McKinley Chalets and three times at the Princess. Each time we were there at the end of the tourist season since we were successful winners of the Denali road lottery (which allows the lucky winners the opportunity to drive their private vehicles into the park).

As you drive south on the Parks Highway from Fairbanks the Chalets are the first hotel complex on the right (or west side of the highway) as you enter the canyon. The Princess is also on the same side of the Parks, while the shops referred to as being on the boardwalk are on the left. The Denali Bluffs Hotel and the Denali Grande are also on left side of the Parks.

Both the Chalets and Princess are hotel complexes composed of some main buildings with their front desks, main restaurant and so forth. The actual rooms are in a number of separate two story buildings. Both properties are bordered by the Parks Highway and the Nenana River. There are some businesses between the two complexes, but they are essentially beside each other.

Both times we stayed at the Chalets we were in rooms down the hill a bit below the main buildings housing the nicer restaurant (ie, we were closer to the river). Those rooms are two room "suites" with the a livingroom (with a sofa sleeper, table and stuffed chairs) and a bedroom.

The three times we stayed at the Princess the room was a standard hotel room.

My experience has been that the two facilities are basically the same quality (comparable to a Hilton airport hotel). Both are furnished in a north country lodge decor, and the main restaurants have similar quality food and service. You can easily walk over to the boardwalk shops from each.

I have no idea of how the two facilities differ in shuttle services.

It looked to me like the shuttles were the same for both. I never had to pay for the Princess shuttles--I do believe it was hourly, but it worked well. We booked through princess lodges and not as a cruisetour combined with the princess cruise. (We were definitely in the minority). I think because 99% of the people are booked with the free shuttles, etc. they never once asked anyone for money, etc for the shuttles. I guess that could change, but from what I have read on the boards and what I experienced, they do not charge.

The poster above seemed to cover the resorts well. I have only stayed at the Princess Denali lodge but location wise, no real difference. They both border the same road and same river. I do know a few folks on our train to Denali were booked in the Princess Lodge but "moved" to the Chalets due to "room availability". They seemed fine with that and we would have too, if that were the case.

Archived