Occupy wall street and port protests..would insurance pay if the blocked the port?

With the Occupy wall street and port protests..would insurance pay if they blocked the port? (one that cruise ships go out of)

Would the ship even sail?

Would those passengers getting off be able to get off and leave?

I wonder if they could be classified as a civil unrest issue so the travel insurance companies are off the hook.

These are interesting questions. The port blocked though was a container port not a cruise port. But if it was a cruise port, I'd say your ability to board or debark a cruise ship would be dependent upon what steps local authorities took to disperse the protesters. You notice that Oakland's mayor's husband was part of the protest group. Likewise in DC and in NYC the mayors have ordered the police not to interfer when private/public property is attacked or when conventions/groups meeting in their respective cities are targeted. So unless the local authorities are firmer in handling the unruliness of mobs (and BTW the violence and destruction of private and public property aren't just perpitrated by the rogues in the crowd, its the whole crowd) against local businesses and private property, you might just find your way into or out of port blocked and there'd be nothing the port nor the cruise line could do to change the situation. However, at this point,fortunately for cruisers, it's all just speculation.

The stike will be a forseeable event so my money would be no refunds....

Wouldn't the relevant question be, "Was the strike foreseeable at the time the insurance was purchased?"

If you purchased the insurance prior to the formation of the Occupy events coming to public notice then I think you would be due a refund. If after - maybe not.

The other question would be could the Occupy events be classified as "labor strikes" if they are done to disrupt commerce but are not the result of an actual union or specific industry work force action?

Archived