Arab Emirates Dollars

jewopaho

We'll be spending two days prior, and one day after, our upcoming cruise from Dubai. It appears as if we'll need to convert some currency to AED's. Can anyone give us an idea as to how much money we'll need for sightseeing, cabs, etc. Our credit card doesn't charge a conversion fee, but I'm certain that we're going to need some spending money. Any advice you may render will be much appreciated, as usual. Thanks in advance ...

Al

Taxis are fairly cheap in Dubai (under $10 for most rides), and almost anyplace else you'd go takes credit cards. You're better off using your ATM card once you're here - the Dirham is pegged to the Dollar, and the rate from machines is better than you'll get at exchanges (unless your bank charges crazy fees).

Tipping is best done in cash, but it's minimal - one or two Dirhams (coins) to taxi drivers, and 10 or 20 Dirhams with the check at restaurants (tourist guides say tip 10%, but after living here for a couple of years I can confirm that's very rare). If you're at a hotel, tipping 10 Dirhams to the bellman per bag is appreciated, and word gets round hotels when you tip - service can improve appreciably.

In terms of Dubai to me $10.00 is not enough. If you were going from the port to say the newest of the Malls it was more than $10.00 each way. I would start with say $100.00 or more in USA dollars converted to local currency. Remember whatever remains use at the front desk of your hotel to pay a portion of your hotel bill and then use your credit card to pay the remaining amount. The local currency can be used for cabs but also you can use it at the Souk as well and for tips. Dubai is a large city.

Keith

Thanks for the great advice. Obtaining local currency over there seems to be the best bet. My credit union charges only a 1% fee and no surcharge for overseas ATM transactions ... so for a couple of bucks, the problem is solved. Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together. Thanks again ...

Al

• 4 weeks later...
from the port to the palace hotel was 56 D and i tipped the driver 4 D, so just under $20 US. there is a 20 D fee just for taxis to leave the port, so this will be added to your metered fee.

Thanks for this valuable information ... we now know what to expect. After a bit of research, we've discovered that the currency exchange facilities are open 24/7 at Terminal 1 (there are apparently at least four of them) and the rate of exchange is the most favorable (3.17 AED/1 USD). I guess they want to make it really easy to spend a bit of money there ... makes sense to me. Thanks again.

Al

Maybe it was a typo but AED 3.17 / USD 1.00 is a lousy rate as the dirham is pegged to the USD at 3.67. You would probably be better off using your ATM card and copping the bank fee and there are ATMs as you exit Terminal 1 (after customs and before the doors to the outside world - in fact, they are right next to the currency exchange places).

I have no idea what's wrong with my keyboard ... it just can't get numbers right! Thanks for the heads-up ... it was indeed a typo. 3.67 AED/1 USD is correct. Conversely, it's 1 AED/.272 USD. Looks good either way ... thanks again.

Archived