Recent Cruisers - Please tell me about the food!

RMM34667

We were on the Freedom last month. Food was great. I had to try the Meatloaf since someone mentioned it was unedible. I found that is was not bad at all. Not as good as my Mother's but was just fine. Prime Rib, Lobster still as good as ever. Out of 6 of us, only my MIL had 1 minor complaint in that a chicken dish was a little undercooked. We ate in the MDR every night and loved it! Enjoy your cruise.

We were on the Spirit in Aug. Still loved the food in MDR. Was sad to find they had stopped the sun dried tomato basil rolls each night. It was a source of teasing from our waiter tho. He always said sorry no sun dried tomato rolls tonight oh or any night!! Food on Lido was only warm and bordered on cold so made sure we ate in MDR all the time. Have a great cruise!!

Just got off the Destiny on Saturday, and can honestly say that absolutely nothing from the main dining room stands out as a meal I must have again. As a matter of fact, I can only remember the lobster and shrimp on elegant night. I couldn't tell you what I ate on the other nights. It was all pretty bland and boring. IMHO, the selection and preparation was pretty unremarkable.

I was looking forward to the wonderful macaroni and cheese I'd read so much about here, and was sorely disappointed. It was tasteless. Stouffer's frozen mac & cheese would have been better!

The cruise was great, otherwise! One of our best ones, yet! We're looking forward to our next one (looking at a Liberty B2B next year!) and hoping the food will be better.

Thanks for your responses..

I'm thinking I want both Lobster and Prime Rib too....

(Not something I'd usually do.. but I really want both!)

I did notice the prime rib was pretty thin on my cruise on the Legend in September. No problem though because I always order the lobster tail as well. Portion was just right and I didn't have to waste any of it.

In my opinion, the food was good most of the time. The first night I had a chicken breast for dinner and it was great. Toward the end of the week, I decided to get it again. For some reason, it was horrible. I ordered a side of veggies nearly every day. About 70% of the time they were thoroughly cooked. The other 30% of the time I was served hard carrots and potatoes.

The newer macaroni dish was DELICIOUS! I gave my husband the meat (I'm kind of picky!)

We pretty much skipped breakfast. We tried it twice and we were thoroughly disappointed. The eggs are very much "instant" and had the consistency of cardboard but they were runny and didn't have a taste.

We had lunch at the pasta bar the first day. My husband enjoyed it. I thought it was just okay.

I tried the burrito bar. I took one bite and couldn't swallow it. I've never tasted anything so horrible...

We had room service one afternoon. It was great! It was the first time we've ever ordered anything.

I had a sandwich at the deli, it was great. My husband enjoyed the sushi and the bbq on the lanai was awesome. They had the best chicken tacos! :D

I loved the first nights Comfort Food - Beef Brisket. It was soooooo tender! Yum! Also love the simple things like first night's app chicken tenders with yummy honey mustard. The only thing I didn't care for was the meatloaf. Very bland and institutional.

And I'm in the minority, but I despise WCMC. Sorry folks!

We pretty much skipped breakfast. We tried it twice and we were thoroughly disappointed. The eggs are very much "instant" and had the consistency of cardboard but they were runny and didn't have a taste.

MDR or the Omlet bar have Eggbeaters that taste a lot fresher. I always get them! Waffles & French Toast are bad (come out cold & expect the syrup to warm them--doesn't work!)

Just got off the Destiny on Saturday, and can honestly say that absolutely nothing from the main dining room stands out as a meal I must have again. As a matter of fact, I can only remember the lobster and shrimp on elegant night. I couldn't tell you what I ate on the other nights. It was all pretty bland and boring. IMHO, the selection and preparation was pretty unremarkable.

I was looking forward to the wonderful macaroni and cheese I'd read so much about here, and was sorely disappointed. It was tasteless. Stouffer's frozen mac & cheese would have been better!

The cruise was great, otherwise! One of our best ones, yet! We're looking forward to our next one (looking at a Liberty B2B next year!) and hoping the food will be better.

:(:(:(

Hopefully it will have improved by next week!!

Thanks Becca.. I was thinking flat iron steak for day 1.. But maybe Beef Brisket would be a good choice!! So many decisions...

Is there really no charge for espresso and cappuccino? And is the warm chocolate melting cake really as good as everyone (ok, maybe not everyone) says? Is it like that chocolate cake that has the oozy center, molten chocolate lava cake I think some restaurants call it? That and an espresso sound divine! Can't wait!:)

Is there really no charge for espresso and cappuccino? And is the warm chocolate melting cake really as good as everyone (ok, maybe not everyone) says? Is it like that chocolate cake that has the oozy center, molten chocolate lava cake I think some restaurants call it? That and an espresso sound divine! Can't wait!:)

If you think you can eat the whole cake, order 2 scoops of ice cream. It's super rich.

I was on the last Magic med cruise, with the old menus. My favorite MDR breakfasts are smoked salmon/bagel and the french toast - no, not on the same morning.

The lunches I liked best were the burrito bar on Lido, the salad bar on the Plaza deck, and the wings in the Red Frog Pub. I liked all the available ingredients for both the salad and the burrito, and that they were made to order.

All the dinners were good. I found out that I don't like ossobucco, but from what others said, there was nothing wrong with it. It's just not for me. I'm kind of tired of some of the menus and should have gone up to the Cucina one night when I was struggling to find something to eat. I think I may have ended up with the flat iron steak. The only thing I had to send back was the yukon gold potato soup, but only because it wasn't hot enough.

A little known place to get light meals/snacks is the Plaza Cafe/Bar area. There is almost always something to nosh on, and it's free. It's in between the coffee bar and the regular bar.

AND hot chocolate as well! what are you going to do with yourself & all these yummy beverages:eek:;)

Just returned from Carnival Spirit 9 day cruise. Thought the food was the BEST of any cruise so far! My favorites were the prime rib, n.y. strip, flat iron steak & even the roast beef. All were fall off the bone...tender!! DW loved the leg of lamb and short ribs!! Alligator fritters were just fair. Escargots were good...need a lot less butter on 'em! Tilapia and grouper...perfect. Frog legs and new england crab cake .......delicious! Also enjoyed the beef & barley and minestrone soups. Favorite desserts were strawberry cheesecake, baked alaska & creme brulee! Of course..the quality of the food can vary greatly between ships. So..hopefully...you'll get to experience some wonderful food on your next cruise!!

So, I have read about new menu's but this if the first I have heard about Frog Legs and Aligator Fritters. Is this on all ships?

So, I have read about new menu's but this if the first I have heard about Frog Legs and Aligator Fritters. Is this on all ships?

yep, fleet wide, in the Didja section. The fritters where conch last month, don't know if they've switched to gator now. Frog legs were good.

Loved the lasagna bolonese!

Hello Geckog! I ordered an appetizer of this and it was not even lukewarm although it had a lot of potential, had it been.

I always enjoyed great food on all cruises, until this latest one. The chèvre pizza was fabulous straight out of the oven and so were the capriciosa and the margherita. Sorry to say that for the first time ever I didn't eat every single dinner in the dining room as I got extremely turned off with the meal the very first night of the cruise and sent back my steak twice. The escargots were also lukewarm and tasteless as opposed to the previous times I had them. I did not eat in the dining room again after that night.

Just returned from Carnival Spirit 9 day cruise. Thought the food was the BEST of any cruise so far! My favorites were the prime rib, n.y. strip, flat iron steak & even the roast beef. All were fall off the bone...tender!! DW loved the leg of lamb and short ribs!! Alligator fritters were just fair. Escargots were good...need a lot less butter on 'em! Tilapia and grouper...perfect. Frog legs and new england crab cake .......delicious! Also enjoyed the beef & barley and minestrone soups. Favorite desserts were strawberry cheesecake, baked alaska & creme brulee! Of course..the quality of the food can vary greatly between ships. So..hopefully...you'll get to experience some wonderful food on your next cruise!!

Where did you get ny strip? Have not seen it on menu for 2 years. Flatiron only and it is flavorless.:(

The majority of comments are positive. It is so refreshing after so many negative food comments lately. But as we always agree food is subjective. I'll be happy with 3 out of 5 really good meals. But I'm pretty sure I'll be sitting in the MDR every night!!!

I'd love to try the spagetti Carbonara, but I didn't see it on the five day menu. Anyone on a 5 day have the chance to try it?

Archived