St. John Beach Excursion Advice?

CactusGirly

We would like to experience the beautiful St. John Beaches (is there one you like best for it's beaty - and swimming, sunbathing and relaxing?) while docked in St. Thomas - anyone have tips for the best way to get there, whether via a particular excursion or on our own?

We would like to experience the beautiful St. John Beaches (is there one you like best for it's beaty - and swimming, sunbathing and relaxing?) while docked in St. Thomas - anyone have tips for the best way to get there, whether via a particular excursion or on our own?

Trunk Bay is probably the most popular with an underwater snorkeling trail. If you have not been there I would suggest a Celebrity excursion. Doing it on your own, you have to get to the ferry dock, take the ferry and then get to any beach in St John. Have to do everything in reverse coming back, it is doable but if anything goes wrong you can easily miss the boat.

Celebrity's excursion takes you there by boat and brings you back...

Check out the St. John board under Caribbean ports of call. There are many helpful posts I found while researching our upcoming visit. Host Anne up has been to St. John many times and often posts great advice.

We are planning to take the ferry over and explore Cruz Bay and some of the beaches- it sounds wonderful!

Heres a very useful post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1196166

I have done it many times on my own but agree with dkj, first time do the excursion. Much easier until you've 'been there, done that' and the ship will wait on you!

Once you've experienced it, give it a try on your own. Taxi to Ferry, taxi to beach then turn around and do it all over again. Besides, the boat ride offered by X will give you a good perspective of how far it is and how long it takes to get there.

It's a gorgeous place! Part of our National Park System. If you go on your own, a park pass will get you for half price (used to be free)!

Trunk Bay is great. The first visit there was done with Celebrity Excursion (not enough Beach time). Since then we

go to Trunk Bay on our own via the Red Hook Ferry. We have never had problems. Many cabs at Cruz Bay for short drive to Trunk Bay. We always plan to be back from beach to take 3 pm ferry back to St Thomas.

Many of your fellow cruisers will go to St John on their own.

I suggest you connect with others on Cruise Connection. There maybe others that you can travel to St John with.

Archived