Cancelled Cruise

smileyface1948

We were on the B2B Eastern and Southern Caribbean Cruise on the Westerdam on November 20, 2011. The upgrade fairy visited and we were given VA 7023 from a VE guarantee. Turn the clock back a week. My 57 year old sister was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer with a poor prognosis. She still has a child at home so I am leaving Florida to go to North Carolina to be with her while she fights this monster. I did take out Travel Guard Gold insurance policy. Anyone have any advice how this works? I will put a claim in tomorrow and start the process. HAL advisor said that we get to keep our future cruise credit which surprised me. Hope everyone cruising on the Westerdam during our time period has a wonderful vacation. It is unbelievable how your life can change in an instant.

Oh, my... thinking good thoughts for your sister. I'm sure she is very grateful to have you be with her. It has to be a relief that you have travel insurance. Just call their 800 number and they'll most likely refer you to their website where you can download the claim forms. I just had to cancel a big trip, too, and travel insurance worked like a charm (though it took awhile to go through). Best to you and your sister.

I have no advice regarding the travel insurance, buts wish to offer my sympathy and best wishes for you and your sister. I hope she will be victorious in her battle against the disease, and perhaps you will all be able to cruise together one day.

I used our travel insurance 2 years ago when I had to have emergency surgery. The repayment was quick after the medical forms were filled out. The insurance company paid the trip portion and HAL immediately refunded the taxes and port charges on their part. Would never travel without it again. Wishing you and your family the best in the difficult time.

Very sorry to hear of your sister's illness and wish you and her the very best. Hopefully, you'll be back here soon telling us she's done well and you are booking another cruise.

Best wishes......

Very sorry to hear about your sister. Best wishes coming your way.

If the Travel Guard Gold policy allows to cancel for any reason the response should be quite timely if you complete the forms accurately and completely. IF it requires medical support than the speed will depend on your sister's physician and how quickly and completely he/she completes the medical documentation and related information. I had a very satisfactory experience with Travel Guard in a somewhat similar situation.

I too as a cancer survivor am so sorry to hear about your sister and wish her only the best.

Your situation is one of so many why the little bit we pay for travel insurance is so important to protect an investment that can be several thousands of dollars. I have many friends who think it is just a waste of money. Ten years ago my father slipped and fell in a hotel tub in Amsterdam the night before their cruise ship was to sail. He fractured a rib and punctured a lung and required extensive hospital care. The total bill for all his care and lost travel and first class airfare back home to the insurance company was over $60,000 and not one penny came out of his pocket.

So sorry to hear about your sister's illness. I'm hoping we will hear good news from you. Your sister's doctor will have to fill out some medical forms for Travel Guard. It would be great if you could either download the forms or have Travel Guard mail them to NC so you can get them filled out. We canceled a cruise due to illness and as soon as the forms were filled out, Travel Guard reimbursed us.

Wishing you and your sister good luck.

I think people should look at the scenario from the other set of shoes...

My very active, still working 73 year old mother went on a guided tour to a far away land, and caught pneumonia. She was hospitalized the day before leaving and needed a respirator to breath. Things went from bad to worse.

The hospital charges were roughly $2500 per day in ICU, and she was there 45 days. My brother was there for 3 weeks, as was I. Her medivac home was $101,000. My mother had the foresight to pay for excellent travel/medical insurance, which covered everything. I know it bugged her to pay all that money to an insurance company when she had nothing wrong her. She talked about it before leaving.

However, without insurance those left at home have some appalling decisions to make. Do I mortgage my house? Raid the college fund? Take out huge credit line/credit card loans? Does Granny rot in a hospital somewhere for an indeterminate amount of time? Do we pay all the money to bring her home to hospital, only for her not to make it anyways.......

Insurance is as much for those you leave behind as for yourself. Unless you have no one in the world who cares about you at all, it is a selfish choice. You only look at it from that perspective when you have been in those shoes.

Best wishes to the OP's sister.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family at this time.

TravelGuard is very easy to work with when filing a claim. Call the 800 number to start the process. Then go to the Web Site and get your forms. Two things that have worked well for us: 1. Make certain you write your claim number on each and every piece of information you submit with the claim, 2. Pre-fill in as much information as you can on the forms that the Doctor (or his/her office) will need to submit. We learned those secrets the hard way when we had forms bouncing back and forth between the insurance company, Doctor's Office and us.

Thanks to all of you who took time to reply to my message. Forms filled out today and took appropriate forms to Doctor's office when my sis had her first chemo treatment. Really appreciate the encouragement and I know there will be many more cruises in our future. Now to get my sister well....

Archived