When to be back on board!

falkensmaze

There was a whole thread on this a while back

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1482946&highlight=2+hours

Actually the NCL website says "Boarding Time in Ports of Call:

In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship."

The time you must be back will be posted on a sign at the gangway. Yes you must adhere to that sign or be left ashore. They don't refuse you, they pull up the gangway and leave.

BTW the signs at the gangway is not "fear mongering" they are true. Certain times there will be delays for whatever reason, but they are pretty bang on in their timing.

Hi, reading the NCL website i tells me to be back on board 2 hours b4 departure? is the just scare mongering? If I arrive 1 hour b4 departure would I be refused on board?

Also when can u disembark if the ship gets in to port at 7am?

Thanks Gregor

No you won't be refused on board. I've literally seen dozens meandering toward the ship at departure time without any concern. We were in St.Thomas,2008, and they held the ship for two extra hours waiting for two people. They never did show up.

Depends on if your talking about ports of call or embarkation. In ports of call it's usually 30 minutes. If you think they will hold the ship, check out you tube for the dozens of passengers being left behind. On our last NCL cruise, we waited 10 minutes while they made announcements and then left the people in Cozumel!

If you are talking embarkation day, if you are not on 1 hour before departure, they will deny you boarding.

The only time a ship is held for very long is for ship excursions.

No you won't be refused on board. I've literally seen dozens meandering toward the ship at departure time without any concern. We were in St.Thomas,2008, and they held the ship for two extra hours waiting for two people. They never did show up.

I think you are giving misleading information. I'm not really sure why your ship waited 2 hours in St. Thomas 3 years ago, but if I were the OP I wouldn't want to take information away from this thinking that the ship will wait for all those that decide to set their own time to come back. Otherwise they may be the stars of the many many "pier runner" videos on youtube.:eek:

Depends on if your talking about ports of call or embarkation. In ports of call it's usually 30 minutes. If you think they will hold the ship, check out you tube for the dozens of passengers being left behind. On our last NCL cruise, we waited 10 minutes while they made announcements and then left the people in Cozumel!

If you are talking embarkation day, if you are not on 1 hour before departure, they will deny you boarding.

The only time a ship is held for very long is for ship excursions.

You are very right rv I was going on the assumption the OP was discussing ports because he/she said "back on board".

This is from NCL's Frequently Asked Questions. It says to be on the ship one hour before departure when in the ports but I swear we only had to be there 30 minutes prior to sailing and the crew had to be back one hour earlier.

What time do I board the ship on embarkation day and in ports of call?

Arrival at the Cruise Terminal:

For your comfort and convenience, we recommend that guests who have not completed their Online Check-In arrive at the cruise terminal no later than two (2) hours prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. Guests who have completed their Online Check-In should arrive at the terminal no later than one (1) hour prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. We STRONGLY recommend guests complete their Online Check-In at least four (4) days prior to sailing.

Final Boarding Time:

In order to facilitate the embarkation process and the processing of your eDocs, and to comply with new government regulations governing departure manifest, all guests are required to complete Online Check-In at least one day prior to sailing and must complete check-in at the cruise terminal and be onboard the ship no later than one hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise documents or they will not be permitted to sail. Please note guests who have not filled out their Online Check-In must arrive at port two (2) hours prior to sailing. Any late arriving guest may join the ship at an approved port of call in the scheduled itinerary. Such guest will be responsible for all applicable fees and travel expenses to that subsequent port of call.

Boarding Time in Ports of Call:

In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship.

This is from NCL's Frequently Asked Questions.

Arrival at the Cruise Terminal:

For your comfort and convenience, we recommend that guests who have not completed their Online Check-In arrive at the cruise terminal no later than two (2) hours prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. Guests who have completed their Online Check-In should arrive at the terminal no later than one (1) hour prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. We STRONGLY recommend guests complete their Online Check-In at least four (4) days prior to sailing.

Final Boarding Time:

In order to facilitate the embarkation process and the processing of your eDocs, and to comply with new government regulations governing departure manifest, all guests are required to complete Online Check-In at least one day prior to sailing and must complete check-in at the cruise terminal and be onboard the ship no later than one hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise documents or they will not be permitted to sail. Please note guests who have not filled out their Online Check-In must arrive at port two (2) hours prior to sailing. Any late arriving guest may join the ship at an approved port of call in the scheduled itinerary. Such guest will be responsible for all applicable fees and travel expenses to that subsequent port of call.

Boarding Time in Ports of Call:

In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship.

I don't mean to be rude but by pasting the FAQ answers do you not already have the answer to this question?

This is from NCL's Frequently Asked Questions. It says to be on the ship one hour before departure when in the ports but I swear we only had to be there 30 minutes prior to sailing and the crew had to be back one hour earlier.

You are not imagining things your probably were requested (by gangway sign) to be back on board 1/2 hour before departure. Thats why most on these threads keep stressing to pay attention to the gangway sign, that is the one that is most important.

It's highly possible that NCL has the "hour" for ports listed to be sure you have enough time if you are booking an outside excursion prior to the cruise. This gives the ship up to an hour leaway in case it is required for some reason at a certain port to requests guests back on board earlier.

It's far better to tell pax ahead of time you have to be back 1 hour prior and then give them an extra 1/2 once they disembark at the port, instead of FAQ say 30 minutes and for some reason the ship gangway sign at a port is 1 hour. You'd probably have an awful lot of angry passengers.

Very similar to a purchase price estimate being given to you at $60 and you actually buy the item for $30, you come away from the purchase smiling. If you are given an estimate of $30 and you actually have to pay $60, you are really peeved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdvmd viewpost.gif

I don't mean to be rude but by pasting the FAQ answers do you not already have the answer to this question?

It wasn't my question. That was the heading from the FAQ page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdvmd viewpost.gif

It wasn't my question. That was the heading from the FAQ page.

:D :D ROFL. OK the tears are rolling down my cheeks, I am so sorry.

Thanks all, it seems like an hour from what I read but ill be paying close attention to the gang way signs:)

It is normally posted as a half hour - not an hour.

In practice, you can show up 1 minute before and they will let you onboard. It would be rather stupid to cut it that close, but it is possible.

As to waiting 2 hours - that would be a very rare occasion. There may have been more to that story - like delayed arrival of harbor pilot, or something.

I think you are giving misleading information. I'm not really sure why your ship waited 2 hours in St. Thomas 3 years ago, but if I were the OP I wouldn't want to take information away from this thinking that the ship will wait for all those that decide to set their own time to come back. Otherwise they may be the stars of the many many "pier runner" videos on youtube.:eek:

Sorry if I inferred that they would wait. I stand corrected.

Archived