Son taking a friend ?

GJM

We are thinking of booking the Allure in April, DS will be 12 and we are thinking of letting him invite a friend this time.

Has anyone had their child invite a friend and how did it work out?

Did you let them roam on their own?

Not sure if we want a cabin for 4 or if DH & I should get a balcony room and get the kids an inside cabin across from us. Any suggestions?

I would love any feedback -

We are thinking of booking the Allure in April, DS will be 12 and we are thinking of letting him invite a friend this time.

Not sure if we want a cabin for 4 or if DH & I should get a balcony room and get the kids an inside cabin across from us. Any suggestions?

I would love any feedback -

We let our son take a friend when he was around that age. They absolutely loved it. It was always a competition who could eat the most at dinner.

We booked them a separate room, mainly because I didn't want to share a bathroom with 3 guys! We took walkie talkies so I could keep tabs on them. Had a "sit-down" before the cruise to explain to them what we expected from them. Things like staying in contact with us every few hours and not going crazy on the sea pass card. They even took their video game console so they could play in their room.

Don't forget to get something in writing from the other child's parents saying you have permission to take their child to another country, and to authorize medical attention if needed. Never had to use this, but just in case!

I would take a friend for my son again in a heartbeat. Though we had to supervise them just as we would at home, we didn't have to keep my son entertained the whole trip.

Took my then 14 yr old daughter & her BFF - best decision ever. Her friend was exactly the type of kid you'd want to take with you anywhere. We are close with her parents & good relationships all around. The girls stuck together like glue and looked out for each other. They never got in trouble or even a harsh look from other passengers. With the right kid - I'd do it again, no question.

The sailing before the BFF came, my daughter had met a girl on board who seemed to be really nice. Come to find out this girl ended up ditching our daughter because she wouldn't sneak out of the room after she was in bed (we had 2 cabins).

As stated, we had 2 cabins & put the girls in one but you have to book an adult in each room and you just "swap" rooms when you get there. Guest Services will issue keys for each room though with no problems.

Get notarized permission forms to take the other child with you - there are many available on line. Make sure you get medical authorization forms that cover ALL dates you are traveling together too.

YES get 2 rooms - you won't be sorry. 4 in a tiny bathroom is not fun.

You need to define "roam". Also set the rules, no playing on stairs or elevators. No wandering hallways or going into anyone's room. They will ALWAYS stay together.

Have specific times that they must check in, for example, sea day, 11 AM they will meet you at the solarium pool, sky bar, whatever. Then find out what their plans are, and again, we will meet at 2:00 to check in or the boys will be at the game arcade, and you will stop by to see them at whatever time.

And, should they disappear and not check in, let them know the consequences.

You should have no problems, and they will have the absolute time of their lives.

Another thing we do is in the evening when they say they are going to bed we take their keys to their cabin and let them know where they can find us the rest of the evening. That way there is no way to sneek out because they won't be able to get back in unless they come see us with one heck of an excuse. :D We also get a spare key so we can enter their cabin at any time.

Our favorite set up is a promenade for the kids with a balcony for yourself directly across the hall. Because of cost on the Allure we have an inside directly across from a balcony but you have to book those asap because 10 months out there were not any of the cheapest inside cabins left. :eek: Not interested in a poromenade on the Allure due to location.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Do you trust the friend? Do you know the parents of the friend? Do a search on the board. I've read some horror stories here on some folks who let their kids bring along a "friend". Don't want to put a damper on your plans, but you definitely want to see what others have experienced. Some "friends" ended up making a nightmare of what could've been a lovely cruise.

Took my then 14 yr old daughter & her BFF - best decision ever. Her friend was exactly the type of kid you'd want to take with you anywhere. We are close with her parents & good relationships all around. The girls stuck together like glue and looked out for each other. They never got in trouble or even a harsh look from other passengers. With the right kid - I'd do it again, no question.

The sailing before the BFF came, my daughter had met a girl on board who seemed to be really nice. Come to find out this girl ended up ditching our daughter because she wouldn't sneak out of the room after she was in bed (we had 2 cabins).

As stated, we had 2 cabins & put the girls in one but you have to book an adult in each room and you just "swap" rooms when you get there. Guest Services will issue keys for each room though with no problems.

Get notarized permission forms to take the other child with you - there are many available on line. Make sure you get medical authorization forms that cover ALL dates you are traveling together too.

YES get 2 rooms - you won't be sorry. 4 in a tiny bathroom is not fun.

You do not need to book an adult in each cabin if the cabins are next to each other or across the hall from each other.

Another thing we do is in the evening when they say they are going to bed we take their keys to their cabin and let them know where they can find us the rest of the evening. That way there is no way to sneek out because they won't be able to get back in unless they come see us with one heck of an excuse. :D We also get a spare key so we can enter their cabin at any time.

Our favorite set up is a promenade for the kids with a balcony for yourself directly across the hall. Because of cost on the Allure we have an inside directly across from a balcony but you have to book those asap because 10 months out there were not any of the cheapest inside cabins left. :eek: Not interested in a poromenade on the Allure due to location.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Nice try, BUT there is nothing stopping the kids going to guest services, saying they have lost their card and getting a new one, as long as it is before the curfew of 1:00am they can can a new card

We've been taking a friend for the last 5 years, since our daughter was 11, never had a problem, as long as you can trust the kids, just lay down a few ground rules and meeting times places etc. Also make sure the notorized letter allows you to sign any waiver that may be needed for activities such as ice skating flow rider etc

Do you trust the friend? Do you know the parents of the friend? Do a search on the board. I've read some horror stories here on some folks who let their kids bring along a "friend". Don't want to put a damper on your plans, but you definitely want to see what others have experienced. Some "friends" ended up making a nightmare of what could've been a lovely cruise.

I'll bet I am remember the same story that was related here a couple of years ago. Its easy to see how this would help the parents and the kids enjoy their cruise more. I'm an empty nester now, but I can think of a couple of my daughter's friends that would have worked out fine.

I'm guessing the horror story you remember was where a young man (teenager from memory?) was suicidal, got into a crew only area and threatened to jump. If I also remember right the entire family was put off at the next port.

Glad to hear mostly good stories!

Yes we do know the friend and the family, and if we do ask my DS friend to go we will be paying for him to go, his family wouldn't have the money to spend. But I guess he would bring spending money. I just think my DS would have a little more fun, then just hanging with us.

Trust me I like the idea of the 2 cabins, really can't imagine sharing a bathroom with 3 guys!

What I mean by "roaming" is going to the promanade, going to get a snack without us, going to the kids club. Not "roaming" the halls. I kind of like the idea of taking their keys at night!

We would sit down with them before the cruise and tell them what is expected, and there will be check in times, meals together, in their room by a certain time.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Yes we do know the friend and the family, and if we do ask my DS friend to go we will be paying for him to go, his family wouldn't have the money to spend. But I guess he would bring spending money. I just think my DS would have a little more fun, then just hanging with us.

Trust me I like the idea of the 2 cabins, really can't imagine sharing a bathroom with 3 guys!

What I mean by "roaming" is going to the promanade, going to get a snack without us, going to the kids club. Not "roaming" the halls. I kind of like the idea of taking their keys at night!

We would sit down with them before the cruise and tell them what is expected, and there will be check in times, meals together, in their room by a certain time.

You should have a great cruise, and the kids will have the time of their lives.

Explain to them it ain't the USA. Any bad behaviour could result in EVERYONE being booted off the ship.:eek: So, behave yourselves!

We are thinking of doing this as well but I have a question. When you asked the friend, did you plan to pay for the friend's cruise as well?

In our situation, our daughter's friend's family paid the cost of being the 3rd person in the cabin and we picked up all other costs (excursions, sodas, etc.). She brought some pocket money for souveniers, and that was really all she needed. I don't even think she spent it all.

You can't go wrong establishing ground rules up front. Additionally, our kids know that when we say we expect certain behavior, they know we aren't fooling around. We also had check-in times and keys to their cabin as well and made a surprise check on them one night. We were completely unsurprised to find them in their cabin, as they promised they would be, playing cards and they even included our younger son. They are great girls.

Like I said, with the right kids and having a good relationship with that other child's parents it can be great.

The Allure now has iphone 3's for use onboard. You can contact each other by text, or call. And they also have a location feature. Good to have if they're looking for you and you're in a loud setting and don't hear the phone.

We also took my DS's friend when they were 12. They had the time of their lives. Of all things, they loved putting on their suits and having a fancy dinner in the MDR! They also went to all the photographers and had their pictures taken! Something I never though to do, but the boys and the parents are glad they did!

Definately spend some time doing pigsty management! Two tweens in a cabin was a challenge for the stateroom attendant. She ended up needing a large supplement to her tip! She was also great in letting us know that they had been in and out.

Marsha

DW and I took one of DDs friends with us a couple yeras ago when they were 16. Worked out very well.

We knew the girl and her parents very well. And they had a great time. Most of the day they just laid out and tanned and ordered Virgin cocktails . But we enjoyed a few activities together.

At night they pretty much did their own thing, They really liked the Kareoke. They kept in touch with us throughout the day, and we usually had dinner together . All in all a good experience

In our situation, our daughter's friend's family paid the cost of being the 3rd person in the cabin and we picked up all other costs (excursions, sodas, etc.). She brought some pocket money for souveniers, and that was really all she needed. I don't even think she spent it all.

Thanks for responding. We always take along our nephew that is the same age as my youngest but would really like our 15 year old to have a travelling companion. However, since we are paying for the 4 of us plus part of some of my nephew's trip, we really cannot afford to pay for another ticket. Our fingers are crossed that one of his friends can join us.

But I guess he would bring spending money..

Keep in mind he can't use Money on the ship and everthing is charged to your Seapass card. I don't know if you could have his card set up differently than the rest of the family or not.

Archived