Parking in New Orleans

catty

Thanks! We have a party of 10 and will all be in a 15 passenger van. Sounds easier to park at port.

hey I don't know the specs, but I do know there are sizes and length restrictions on vehicles, some cost more and have to park at different areas. I read this, this is not any kind of personal experienc....lol

This is absolutely correct. There is a much higher charge for oversized vehicles. It cost $32 per day and you must park in the Poydras St. lot next to the Julia St. Terminal. You also have to call to make arrangements to park there. The number is (504) 528-3482.

I strongly suggest that you call to make sure that they do not consider a 15 passenger van and oversized vehicle.

I just called the number, and it's not a working number. Guess I'll try again next week.

Sorry, that's the number listed on the Port of New Orleans website for oversized vehicle parking. The main number for the Port of New Orleans is (504) 522-2551, which is a working number. Maybe they can give you the information or a working number for the garage.

The easiest way for us is to stay at one of the hotels by the airport that allow you to leave your car for free with one night's stay and cab into the port. Cost is reasonable and no hassle with the parking by the port.

We stayed at the Drury and parked there for free. We caught a cab to the port. Can't remember how much the cab was though. The hotel can tell you if you call them. The had free drinks in the evening and a cont. breakfast.

When was this? Recent posts have said that the Drury no longer offers free parking.

This is absolutely correct. There is a much higher charge for oversized vehicles. It cost $32 per day and you must park in the Poydras St. lot next to the Julia St. Terminal. You also have to call to make arrangements to park there. The number is (504) 528-3482.

I strongly suggest that you call to make sure that they do not consider a 15 passenger van and oversized vehicle.

Thanks! I will call and check their policy. I was thinking that was a possibility...

Just for general knowledge, the maximum height for "regular" parking at the pier is 8 feet 4 inches and length is 22 feet maximum. My 15 passenger van is 20.33 inches and 6.85 feet tall, so it should be fine. I may call just to double check, as the info. on the web is not recently updated. Thanks!

We are on the 26 Nov cruise out of NOLA. How will the traffic be Saturday around the area of the Port with the Southern Classic Football Game. We are staying the Holiday Inn Royal Street just try to gauge when we should leave for the Port.

You were extremely smart to stay near port. The main arteries will be heavily congested form 1000-1300 (kickoff 1330). As long as you don't wander toward Poydras, I-10, Carrollton etc, you should avoid the major delays. We're communting in AM and using alternate routes to the terminal, leaving extra early to beat the Bayou Classic traffic. The local media is reporting some streets may actually close to vehicular traffic this weekend.

Tomorrow will be a mess for those unprepared for the deluge of Superdome traffic.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
We used Machu Pichu tours for parking. You can google them. Secure covered lot with shuttle to the port. Ver nice people to deal with and cost less than the port.

Did you use them recently? My vehicle is too tall for Futon Parking and I think we want to avoid parking at the terminal from what I have been reading. Machu Pichu says they can accommodate us. Were the shuttles fast? There when you disembarked? Thanks!

The two terminals are right next to each other. You will actually drop your luggage with the porters in front of the Julia St. Terminal, and they will direct you to park in the Erato St. parking garage. We'll be there next week too! WOOHOO!

Not supposed to work that way. Royal and NCL will use the Julia St terminal and are supposed to park in the Whale lot with shuttle buses back to the cruise terminal (or they could walk).

Last year we parked at the port, I believe it was the Erato st one. We pulled up to a machine that took out cc and printed out a receipt, pulled into garage to unload with porters, and then I went up several levels and parked, taking the elevator back down. Is this still correct?

Last year we parked at the port, I believe it was the Erato st one. We pulled up to a machine that took out cc and printed out a receipt, pulled into garage to unload with porters, and then I went up several levels and parked, taking the elevator back down. Is this still correct?

For Carnival, yes. For Royal and NCL, no.

We used Machu Pichu tours for parking. You can google them. Secure covered lot with shuttle to the port. Ver nice people to deal with and cost less than the port.

thanks... Im a little desperate for parking (posted my own thread no replies).

11/24/12 - next year, .. same football game, but all the hotels are telling me they are not going to be offering cruise parking and hotels are ridiculous so far.

Archived