Ecstasy 11/7 Once and probably done

cu19821

First some background – semi experienced cruisers (5 apiece), 2 with Carnival, also Princess and Celebrity, both young middle age, and middle/upper middle class.

We were on the inaugural Ecstasy cruise out of Port Canaveral on 11/7, and based upon this latest experience, we are probably done with the Fantasy Class, and now have some real concerns with Carnival in general. We decided to take this cruise because it best met our schedule and to be honest, the price was great. It was clear at the end that we got what we paid for. No derogatory implication intended, but the experience was very 2-3 star at best.

First, the good news and there is quite a bit of that. The ship was in excellent shape considering its age. Very clean throughout, and little evidence that the boat was over 20 years old. Kudos to the Carnival crew and the dry-dock crew for keeping the boat “shipshape”. Some positive impressions and likes: Serenity Area was very pleasant and great views from the back of the boat. We spent a lot of time in the area, met some very nice people, and enjoyed the hot tubs very much. Crowds – an advantage of a Fantasy class size ship is that we never really felt crowded. We could always find a great location to lay out on deck, lines at the buffet were very limited, and we just never felt as if the ship was overloaded, even though it sailed full as usual. Cabins – we had a porthole inside on the Main Deck and loved it. Carnival has excellent cabin size and just superb bedding. We slept wonderfully, which for me is a blessing since I am a long term insomniac. The bathroom was very clean, up to date, and fairly roomy and always had lots of hot water. Our cabin steward, Lauritson, was very good and very friendly and polite. As with all our cruises, the cabin staff really made the vacation. Nothing like coming back to a clean room, with a nice view, some fun towel animals, and as before, just excellent bedding. No complaints at all here, except a warning to those of you who are light sleepers that the bow thruster noise is very noticeable in these types of cabins. Oh, and the portholes weren’t completely clean so the view out was a bit compromised.

So what was the problem? In a word, food. A big part of the cruise experience for us is the food and the food service. Don’t get me wrong, it does not have to be Foie Gras and caviar, but we expect the Main Dining Room food and service to be of a higher level than a chain restaurant. This had been the case on our first Carnival cruise on the Liberty in 2009, and of course, was the case on the Princess and Celebrity cruises. I am hoping that our experience was not the norm, but the evidence and comments from others seem to confirm our concerns. The biggest problem seemed to be in execution, and the fact that the new menus and food quality are simply just much worse than before. Some examples: We never received a meal in the MDR that was hot. It was at best lukewarm and often flat out cold. Much worse was the fact that the quality of the ingredients was just sub-par. Meats were tough and gamey, from the “dry as the desert” pork loin, to the Chateaubriand that was so tough, that a steak knife could barely get through it. That piece of meat was very clearly not Filet, and was probably just eye round, which needs to be braised and not grilled. Don’t think I am being a snob, because I also watched my neighbor at the next table struggle with his meat before giving up just as we did. Side dishes were also cold and “grey” and just completely unappetizing.

This theme also continued on the buffet, which on the Liberty was beautifully presented with lots of choices. On the Ecstasy, the food choices were limited, often cold, and the salad bar was also limited and had some pretty sad looking produce at times. Similarly, the desserts were disappointing. They looked good, but just had no pizazz, often tasting very bland. Pastries, croissants and bread were also just so-so. I hate to sound like I am complaining so much, but the problems were just so consistent. DW and I (and she is a lot more forgiving of this than I am) agreed that the food was what we often found at buffets like Ponderosa and Golden Corral. Just mediocre, standard fare.

Another issue was MDR service for Your Time dining. Getting a table worked wonderfully and we only had to wait once. We also liked how they set up the tables like at a European restaurant, with tables for two in a row, so you could chat with your neighbors on either side. We had many nice conversations. That being said, the service was just perfunctory. No waiter introduced himself, service was often rushed, with a waiter taking a plate of food away from the DW as soon as she put her fork down, and was obviously not finished. No “may I take that”, or “are you done”, just plates quickly removed with no interaction. Again, this was the complete opposite of our experience on the Liberty, where our waiter got to know us, was polite and funny and no request was “too much”. On the Ecstasy, when we asked for an extra entrée to share, one response was, “let me see if I can do that”, and a scowl.

In the end, we still had a good time, since the ports were great, especially Half Moon Cay, and we even bought the on-board “discount certificate” for a future cruise, but I am reconsidering that decision. I am hoping that as some on the boards had pointed out, the Fantasy class shorter trips just cater more to the first time cruisers, and that the food and service on other ships would still be as I remembered.

This is the second report I've read of Ecstasy since moving to Port Canaveral and the food was less than wonderful -- and since we will be on her in a couple of weeks, it is of great concern to me. I just hate to hear this!, and am hoping to read a glowing report of the food for the current Ecstasy cruise.

I've personally found the overall experience on Fantasy class ships to be inferior to other classes on the Carnival fleet. I know that many are die hard fans of this class of ship for their size, itineraries, and pricing, but as the OP mentioned, you get what you pay for.

Our last cruise on a Fantasy class ship (Fascination, Dec 2010) was pretty disappointing, (to the point that we considered not sailing on Carnival again). Thankfully, we decided to sail on the Carnival Dream a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time (and yes, we found the food to be better and more varied as well),

OP, when you are ready to redeem that FCC, look at some of Carnival's newer ships. We've found the experience to be superior on those.

I was on the Ecstasy Oct. 31 - Nov. 5 last sailing out of NOLA. We had a horrible problem with the food. Out of the 5 nights we were on there the food was OK once!! The food did come out cold and lukewarm some nights. Didn't get bread till we received out entree and our glasses never got filled:( We even had to wait over 45 minutes for dessert 2 nights and got up and left without it. We complained big time to the Maitre'D and at guest services. It was the worst cruise food we ever had. The burgers had a chemical smell and it was so disgusting and we didn't eat it the whole cruise except on embark day. We tried them everyday and the same. We had a wonderful cruise except for the MDR and some crew!! I will never sail on a fantasy class ship again. Just my opinion on this matter also. Carnival needs to step it up on this ship. I was completely disappointed with this cruise.

Hope everyone else has a good experience. I know that most of the crew on the Ecstasy is new since coming out of drydock. I hope that has something to do with it. But its been 2 months since it came out of drydock. So if they can't learn within 2 months they need to go home and let carnival hire other people.

I agree with the poster's review. I was on Ectasy October 22-27. The food in the main dining room was disappointing. I miss the old menu. I ate at the buffet mostly because of this. I have done five Carnival cruises in the past two years. I would not sail on Ectasy again.

I was on that ship recently and I thought everything was fine. In fact, my sister is on it now.

OP, maybe you should take a cruise costing more so they are not having to cut corners everywhere they can. You can not expect the prices on Carnival to equal top notch food. You just can't. Food prices are rising faster than fuel cost. I still thought the food I got was fine. Not top notch for sure, but fine for the price I was paying.

As I was reading this review I felt like I had posted it myself. We too were on this cruise and would add that it was the food that was a total dissappointment to us both. We felt as though the selections in the MDR were weak and was a bit surprised by the "plainness" of the menus. Zerox copies of a document that had nothing artistic done to it at all.

As with the reviewer, food temperature was a problem in all venues, from buffet to MDR. The foods prepared just for you, such as omlets and the wok were fine, but any ready made items were borderline warm.

The Chateaubriand was clearly not, and made worse by over cooking it. The flat iron steaks however were very good and prepared perfect both times. I don't know that they need to offer Chateaubriand but if you do, make sure it is the real stuff.

The rotissory chicken was very good as was the mac and cheese side they served with it out on the pool deck every day.

The scrambled eggs were not scrambled eggs. Something Dupont created perhaps. Make sure you get in the omlet line for fresh eggs.

Pizza was good and sandwiches were good as well. Service was very good although I agree that dinner was a bit rushed in the anytime dinning.

We are both still ticked about how Carnival handled the late arrival. The fact that it was "out of their control" we believe was a given. Doubt anyone thought they did it on purpose. Why then take all the time to point that out up to and including printing probably a thousand copies of a document saying it wasn't their fault? Spend some time and money on making people happy instead. Their were people with small children in line until late at night. Their were handicapped people out there as well. And there were the rest of us. No facilities, no food, etc. And it briefly rained. Last thing we expected was people saying "not our fault" without any of us saying something first and then they add," by the way, the dining room is closed". Not sure what should have been done, but something should have been done. After all, it was beyond our control as well.

For all of you past and future smugglers out there a bit of advice. We had a travel iron in our bag which was picked up on x-ray. I had to go open our bag and turn it over. When I went to claim it Sat. morning I saw a table with enough booze to open a store. All bottles. Including minis. Not one rum-runner pouch on the table, for what its worth. Apparently they all made it through. Including mine.

DCC

It must be the Ectasy and not the class of ship. I was on the Imagination in October and I found the complete opposite. I had anytime dining but had the same Head & Asst Waiter in the dining room, Juan and Carlos each night and they were FANTASTIC. I had the Flat Iron steak twice and enjoyed it both nights. Cooked perfectly, warm and very tender. This was my 3rd cruise on the Fantasy Class ships (1 Sensation and 2 Imagination) and didn't have any issues with food or service.

I hope that the staff of the Ectasy can come around and become as good as its sister ships.

For all of you past and future smugglers out there a bit of advice. We had a travel iron in our bag which was picked up on x-ray. I had to go open our bag and turn it over. When I went to claim it Sat. morning I saw a table with enough booze to open a store. All bottles. Including minis. Not one rum-runner pouch on the table, for what its worth. Apparently they all made it through. Including mine.

DCC

When rum runners are confiscated they are disposed of. Only alcohol in original sealed containers is returned.

We decided to take this cruise because it best met our schedule and to be honest, the price was great. It was clear at the end that we got what we paid for. No derogatory implication intended, but the experience was very 2-3 star at best.

The price of a Carnival cruise is great for a reason. Unfortunately you can't have it both ways....on land or at sea.

Food is very subjective. On my Glory cruise someone was complaining to me about the poor quality of the food. In my opinion it was fine.

He said it wasn't as good as "A Well Known Local NYC Restaurant". Then I pointed out that at this "Well Known and Local NYC Restaurant" he would have paid more for one meal than his entire day on the ship.

I'll be on Ecstasy in 4 days. It's my first cruise. Oh no.

Please post your review and food opinion when you return.

And have a great cruise regardless -- after all there is plenty to like about a cruise even when the food is not the best!!

Look on the bright side - one benefit to not the best food is that you will not have to diet post-cruise to lose those extra pounds!!

The price of a Carnival cruise is great for a reason. Unfortunately you can't have it both ways....on land or at sea.

Food is very subjective. On my Glory cruise someone was complaining to me about the poor quality of the food. In my opinion it was fine.

He said it wasn't as good as "A Well Known Local NYC Restaurant". Then I pointed out that at this "Well Known and Local NYC Restaurant" he would have paid more for one meal than his entire day on the ship.

I don't disagree. Actually I strongly agree. Just don't say something is different from what it is. That wasn't chatau. I know it, they know it, and others on the ship know it. Just don't say it is. And turn the heat up under the food.

I was on the Glory once also. Very good. The steak house was fantastic. Went twice actually.

DCC

Thanks for all your comments, especially those that sailed on Ecstasy on the same cruise or earlier ones. Just got back to work and spoke to a co-worker who travelled on the Legend out of Tampa two weeks ago. Her experience was a bit better, but she was also a bit disappointed in the food, though not to our extent. In general they found the service to be better that we experienced, but also a bit rushed. She had not sailed Carnival before, only RCI and agreed that Carnival had a vastly superior cabin, bedding, etc. but that the food was a notch down.

Hope all or you who are about to embark have a better food experience, and I will admit that it could be just what I ordered each evening, and that I just had bad luck, but the consistency of the issues kinda argue against that.

As for the embarkation issue, I agree with one of the posters that it could have been handled much much better. We were extremely lucky in that we had a rental car and saw the display sign indicating that boarding would be delayed. We stopped by Publix, got some snacks and then hit the beach for a few hours. Not too bad, but when it came time to drop off the car and get to the ship, our rental car driver told us that even at 530 they were not allowing drop offs, but he had a work around. He dropped us near the Ron Jon resort and we rolled out bags over to the terminal, where they allowed us to drop them off. We were fortunate in that we then waited in terminal 4 untile boarding, but still had about a 90 min wait once it started. For those with young kids, the elderly or infirm, it seemed to be a disaster. Again not fault to the crew of the ship that did exactly what safety demanded, but the ground crew should have had work around plans. One gentleman had an excellent suggestion - he said he would have rented a number of the Mears "Greyhound" buses and let families with young children or the elderly board and sit down. Could have had some music or a movie playing during the wait.

Last follow up - to the poster who mentioned that we "got what we paid for", I generally agree, but even if the food was not high end, there isn't an excuse for cold service and food. Whatever you serve should be done well, be it grilled chicken or something much fancier. That's what we would have liked to have seen....

You really don't want to hear what this RCCL cruiser has to say about this tugboat! I wanted to experience Carnival but we appear to have picked the wrong ship....wish we had waited to be on Magic, which looks pretty impressive from the Galveston web cams. This intrigue may be the only thing that coerces us to go Carnival again. Our August cruise was the most boring, worst food and crew cruise we ever experienced and we have done 13 cruises. So I guess its not really fair to base our reluctance on this ship in particular. We will probably book Magic before its all said and done this summer. But please those of you who sail Magic come back and do a main board review of her for all of us who want to know...thanks!

Oh boy, I booked the Ecstasy NYE cruise not long ago because it's the only cruise out of FL that fits my company's holiday schedule.

NYE cruises ain't dirt cheap, even Carnival And I really hope the food improves by then. I am not a picky foodie by a long long mile but I'd expect the food to be hot at least.

From what it sounds like its either the luck of the draw, or the port change has impacted service. Galveston swapped the Ectasy for the Triumph. I went on the Triumph last month and I MISS the little boat.

The three times I floated on the Ectasy the MDR had great food and great service.

Let Carnival know you had a bad time and sorry you did.

Happy Floating!

I don't disagree. Actually I strongly agree. Just don't say something is different from what it is. That wasn't chatau. I know it, they know it, and others on the ship know it. Just don't say it is. And turn the heat up under the food.

DCC

It's not a true Chateaubriand. The menu says, "Chateaubriand with Sauce Bearnaise, sliced grilled beef shoulder tender." They're being a bit liberal with where that "tender" comes from. Filet comes from the back end of the cow while shoulder is the front.

Perhaps it would be more useful if we had knowledge of the schedules these ships change chefs and/or crew. It's possible that when we experience excessive poor service in the dining rooms and poorer quality of food than what we've experienced in the past could be due to these changes.

It probably takes a month or so for crews to get "into the groove." I would probably avoid, at all costs, the main chef of the Carnival Dream in January of this year. Worst food I've ever had on a cruise ship. Quality is inconsistent on each ship. I don't know who else to attribute that to other than the chef in charge of dining.

Just returned from a week on the Splendor and even though the food didn't totally wow me, it was by far better than the Dream.

Does anyone know if chefs are rotated throughout the various ships?

I have had the opposite experience....always loved the food on the Ecstasy and have been disappointed both times on the Conquest.

I've personally found the overall experience on Fantasy class ships to be inferior to other classes on the Carnival fleet. I know that many are die hard fans of this class of ship for their size, itineraries, and pricing, but as the OP mentioned, you get what you pay for.

Our last cruise on a Fantasy class ship (Fascination, Dec 2010) was pretty disappointing, (to the point that we considered not sailing on Carnival again). Thankfully, we decided to sail on the Carnival Dream a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time (and yes, we found the food to be better and more varied as well),

OP, when you are ready to redeem that FCC, look at some of Carnival's newer ships. We've found the experience to be superior on those.

Archived