Camera batteries

DPWnRBW

I've been reading about the short lifespan of batteries in digital cameras in cold weather. Both of my still cameras use AA batteries and I normally use alkaline batteries. Has anyone experienced problems with battery life while on their Antarctic cruise? I'd hate to have the "shot of a lifetime" and have my camera fail. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Not sure about AA alkaline batteries but my rechargeable batteries lasted for any on-shore activity I did. I always had a backup battery in the pocket of my parka but never needed it. Our on-shore activities never lasted more than a couple of hours. If we did multiple shore excursions I would change out the battery for a freshly charged one. Also the cold was usually only right around freezing. With the bright sunshine it seemed much warmer. Some people even took off their parkas once on land.

Julie

Not sure about AA alkaline batteries but my rechargeable batteries lasted for any on-shore activity I did. I always had a backup battery in the pocket of my parka but never needed it. Our on-shore activities never lasted more than a couple of hours. If we did multiple shore excursions I would change out the battery for a freshly charged one. Also the cold was usually only right around freezing. With the bright sunshine it seemed much warmer. Some people even took off their parkas once on land.

I have the same experience (including regarding temperature). I brought two rechargeable batteries for each camera (digital SLR) and could manage without problem, but it takes a bit of management (basically, when I was onboard there was always at least one battery charging!). My friend had a film SLR camera with alkaline batteries (non rechargeable) and we were so worried about their life time that we took 5 or 6 extra sets of batteries... and brought most of them back (he had to change batteries only once during a 12-days trip). But his camera wasn't very energy-consuming, a digital camera might wear out batteries a bit more quickly.

When carrying spare batteries, try to keep them as warm as possible when you are outside (that means as close as your body as possible).

Thank you, both. I think I will stick with alkaline. Temperatures near freezing should not be that big of a deal. Our ship has Europlug or Type C 220v outlets. I will need to bring a converter to charge the laptop, kindle, etc. A battery charger would be one more thing to bring.

We loved our ability to recharge our batteries, and we did it often. We take lots and lots of pictures (ie. thousands), and we don't delete any of them until we get home.

Be sure and check the energy saving system on the ship. Some ships cut off power to the room when you remove your key card, and thus that removal stops all charging in the cabin.

We had no problems with the cold affecting our picture taking ability, but we did keep our batteries in an inside pocket of our polar fleece jackets. Rain, sleet and snow was more of a problem for the cameras than battery life.

My cameras both use 4 AA's and I used a mix of alkaline and rechargables through the day.

Some days the same set of batteries would last the entire day (despite both the cold and the severe overuse!!!) and other days they would run down the minute I stepped out onto the decks. Especially when we were way down in the Weddell sea in minus 37c !:eek:

In my pocket I had a fleece pouch I made that held several sets of batteries and then I would pop those shakable 7 hour hand warmers in the middle of the pouch. Putting the flat ones in there for ten minutes totally revived them and they would then last for hours.

So I pretty much swapped through the day as required.

My cameras both use 4 AA's and I used a mix of alkaline and rechargables through the day.

Some days the same set of batteries would last the entire day (despite both the cold and the severe overuse!!!) and other days they would run down the minute I stepped out onto the decks. Especially when we were way down in the Weddell sea in minus 37c !:eek:

In my pocket I had a fleece pouch I made that held several sets of batteries and then I would pop those shakable 7 hour hand warmers in the middle of the pouch. Putting the flat ones in there for ten minutes totally revived them and they would then last for hours.

So I pretty much swapped through the day as required.

What a great idea! From what I gather, our temps on the peninsula should be right around 32 F/0 C most of the time, so I don't believe we will experience anything as cold as you did. But, I like the idea of the hand warmers.

What a great idea! From what I gather, our temps on the peninsula should be right around 32 F/0 C most of the time, so I don't believe we will experience anything as cold as you did. But, I like the idea of the hand warmers.

I bought the hand warmers specifically for the batteries as I dont actually suffer from cold hands.

When we were out on the ice pack/shelf all day one warmer lasted the entire time and revived the batteries well.

I actually got a commercial deal on Ebay so I had two bags of 40 ! Ended up selling them to many passengers who were having probs with battery drainage.

The peninsular is "warmer" but it doesnt take much of a breeze to change that and the camera body itself gets instantly chilled - and then of course the batteries. So tucking the camera itself into a big lined pocket can recharge the life of the batteries too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived