Young Cruiser Planning On Fred. Olsen? A Few Questions

Following my last question on St. Petersburg, I wanted to ask the opinion of experienced Fred. Olsen cruisers about a few matters, as I am strongly considering the June 24 departure to the Baltics and Norway.

I may be a slight anomaly around here, as I plan to undertake this voyage next June to celebrate the end of 17 years here in Bahrain, my moving to the UK and the start of university. My closest friend is too moving to Canada, and so I decided the best way to celebrate was a cruise. We are both going to be 18 years of age at the time of the voyage and thus I realize we are very likely to be the youngest on board the ship by a mile. However, before jumping to any conclusions allow me to state the reasons that are pushing me on Fred. Olsen, and weather you think it would be a suitable cruise experience.

As you can see from my signature, I have been lucky enough to, through my 'cruising' career try a wide variety of differing cruise styles, and I quickly found out that the cruises on the Marco Polo and Discovery are what I enjoyed best. As a ship-lover as well as a prospective history student vessels of days gone by have always captured both my imagination and attention. The Marco Polo remains to be my favorite ship, for she instigated a warmth that I found trouble finding elsewhere, even on the Discovery. I'd love to experience a traditional cruise product, but not one that is overtly sedate. The Marco Polo, for example, wasn't bursting with energy by any stretch, but after dinner there was always a delightful show, conversation and live music all around the ship. I have always been intrigued by the Royal Viking Line and sailing on the Black Watch would definitely also satisfy my curiosity. If my parents were accompanying me, as is the norm, I would have no issue booking this cruise in a heartbeat. My only issue is my friend, who is the same age, will be a first-time cruiser who shares none of my love for traditional vessels. He will be there, most likely, to have a great, fun time, and while I'm sure to a degree that can be found on a Fred. Olsen ship, I do have doubts that perhaps he won't see the allure of sitting on a deckchair on the promenade with a good book, or lounging during the day. As I am giving him this cruise as a gift, I am nervous that perhaps it won't float his boat (pun unintended)- nervousness similar when you buy someone an expensive gift or reccomend a meal at a restaurant, and you're very eager for them to like it. Somewhere inside I want to put my money on a safer bet (P&O's Oceana looks like such an option), but the itinerary on Fred is also very interesting. I for one, know that personally, I would very much enjoy a Fred. Olsen cruise. There is something very intimate about a smaller ship, that feeling when upon entering the terminal for the first time you look around at all the faces that are going to become so familiar during the course of the cruise, knowing all the faces of both crew and passengers, etc.

Sorry for such a long interlude, but here comes a few questions- what is the entertainment like on Fred. Olsen? If someone could please scan a copy of the daily program during a sea day it would be much, much appreciated.

And, as one cruiser to another, what would you reccomend me do? Go for the Fred. Olsen cruise, on a classical ship with a fantastic itinerary or just play it safe on a mega-ship?

Best Regards !

well I will give you my pennysworth, whether you go for pando or Fred ,due to the destination I think it is not a family/children destination ,so i think you will get the older clientle. Fred I do find are very friendly ships.maybe more so than pando.Any holiday is what the person makes of it.you could go on a larger ship and be bored. There is a thread on the pando site, on the forum on there about people being bored on pando's biggest ships, so size is not everything. no you will not find other people your age (probably) but older people can be very intresting to talk to. I find some of the talks very good. Freds ships are as you say ships, not floating hotels with zip wires ,ice rinks etc. To me going to the Baltic Sea you are going for the destinations...i would say go with Fred. explain to your friend that there will be older people on board .

As you realise there won't be many of your age group on board. We are in our 50s and there aren't many of ours!! We always say if going north go Fred, if going south go P&O.

With Fred you will get the small ship experience, probably a Norwegian captain who really will know the waters well, probably be able to berth close in (bigger ships sometimes get stranded miles away).

But I have to admit you might find the on board entertainment a tad old fashioned. If you enjoy Dad's Army you will be OK. But if you are more of a Fast Show / The Office person you might struggle!! The show guys and not as good as P&O who are (surprisingly) usually West End standard.

I think if I was your age I would take a good look at the new small P&O ship (sorry cannot remember it's name) so you would get the small ship experience with more up to date entertainment and probably a younger crowd. Fred is great and we love it but you really might be better off with P&O.

my daughter ( 26) is a keen cruiser and has taken regular cruises since she was 21. However, she would not dream of going on a Fred Olsen ship as they are more geared up to the over 50s and much older, and the day excursions are VERY unadventurous. She prefers the big American companies such as Holland America, Princess, Celebrity and Carnival ,as they have a larger mix of ages plus families. She cruised the Baltic this year on Holland America from Dover, Uk and loved every minute.

My husband and I prefer the quieter ships, therefore love Fred Olsen and tend to visit ports independantley rather than use their excursions. This year we went to the Baltic with Marco Polo from Tilbury UK and loved it, the ports are very interesting and easy to get around by yourself. So if you did not mind the age group (50 plus) and smallness of Marco Polo, give it a go, especially if you live near London as you can take the train to Tilbury.

A tip for St Petersberg...the cruise companies sell you the story that you must take their excursion or else you will not be able to get off the ship without a Russian visa (approx. £90 and a lot of form filling) . True, you will not be able to wander off on your own without a visa, but you DO NOT need one if you book a trip with a recognized Russian tour operator as they arrange a group visa for you included in the price of the excursion. . There are many recommendations on Cruise Critic, we used SPB, as did my daughter, for a 2 day private trip. If you advertise on the roll call, you may be able to find a few others to link up with in order to keep down the cost. The ship's groups are approx. 40 people, far too many to trudge around with. SPB have a roll call on their website also. If you don't want their regular group itinery you can have one tailor made as did my husband and I

I have just returned from my first FO cruise and 90% of the passengers were 70+. You ask about the evening shows and IMHO I found them very amateurish compared to other cruise lines I have sailed with. Fred Olsens ships may be for you but from what you have said I don't think your friend would enjoy them.

I have cruised many times on Fred and it is indeed very friendly, however I went mostly some years ago during school holiday times when they did kids offers - eg 70 kids on board for Xmas and subsequently had parents so brought the average age down.

Have also been on Marco Polo and agree that the small ships are great...never been on a mega ship and the thought does not appeal

Last year we went on Azamara Quest, also small ship and great itineraries. We did Singapore to Hong Kong via Bangkok and 3 stops in Vietnam, most places had 2 day stopovers. Booked again for next year to do India, Sri Lanka and Maldives

I am older than you (mid-40s), are not really party people (not interested in discos and going out drinking) but I think it would be a while before we would consider Fred again but have very fond memories. My folks still cruise with them for a month every year and have an absolute ball.

I,ve never really gone round asking passengers their age,to see if they are over 70 etc.,however FO does cater for the more sedate and traditional cruiser.

You will find a mix of passengers ,some as young as 6 months ,others into their dotage ,however its all good fun and go to enjoy yourself and join in all thats offered.:)

I note someone suggested Adonia. That is one ship I would definately not recomend!! We were on it early September and you will find it more staid than any P&O or Fred ship. The self service restaurant is closed most evenings (open 3 times in a 17 night cruise). Which leaves a choice of 1st or second sitting with a set table and the same table companions for your whole cruise. There are two other restaurants which require an extra payment, are largely unused, have service that is exceptionally slow and where the food is nothing to write home about.

As far as entertainment on any ship is concerned, we are not impressed, but at least Fred Olsen have bars where you can sit and have a drink and in summer in northern reaches their obsevation bars give great views. If it is a good itinerary then you will be busy by day and may well appreciate that.

We find P&O awful as they have numerous quizzes taking place in bars and even if you can find a half hour slot without one, you can be sure any decent music will soon be replaced with a quizz - you may of course like quizzes, but considering many of the questions are about things only 70 year olds will know about, it would be dicy. We found Adonia to be by far the worst ship for that. We also find many older P&O customers seem to be quite staid and narrow minded in their views and to be more interested in the formality and sociability of the cruise experience with very little interest in the ports. That is a bit of a chicken and egg situation when you consider the narrow range of P&O ports.

However you can get some decent deals on P&O and Fred ships, so as a means of transport and accomodation if the ports are right, we do use them. We are 61, but have had some good 'disco' style nights on Fred Olsen as the musicians and DJ's are sometimes prepared to play more offbeat stuff. Our request is anything by The Stones for instance. Must admit though mini cruises have much more of that sort of thing.

The bigger P&O ship may have more choice of entertainment, but nothing I would recomend for teenagers.

We have travelled on Swan Hellenic, which is more like Discovery and Marco Polo and we also enjoyed that stlyle of cruise, but their cruises are more expensive as they include trips and tips - can be good value, but only if that is what you want. I would feel that Fred is nearer to that style of cruising than P&O. Their fjiord cruises for instance go up the inside passage, so there is extra scenic cruising and less rough seas. We also like cruises which have some evening time in port, whereas P&O seem to do a regular 8-9am arrival and 5-6pm departure.

Good luck with your choice.

To add to that, you will not get a 'younger crowd' on Adonia - quite the opposite as it is offered as a more formal and traditional cruise experience.

Oceana, Azura and Ventura do offer freedom dining though, so you could dine when you want and are much more likely to get a table for 2 if you do not want to be too involved with the ageing fellow passengers which will be on all Fred and P&O cruises. Cafe Jardin on Oceana was well used by us when on board, but unfortunately neither that, nor any of the bars on Oceana have views.

From later postings I must be wrong re Adonia and it has given me secod thoghts about going on her. Maybe take a look at the Azamura (or something like that) ships. Small but meant to be great. Feel free to shoot me down agin - I am going on info from a friend who had a great time on one of them.

Sorry, I did not mean to 'shoot you down', but admit my posting sounds like that.

Those Ex Renaisance ships are indeed very nice and when we sailed on Minerva II, (which was Adonia in a previous incarnation), we enjoyed the experience a lot. I expect Azamura to be pretty good, but we have not sailed on them ourselves, perhaps reviews would be worth looking at - the ones I have seen seemed good though.

Some people did like Adonia. If you like fixed sitting for dinner and are happy with quizzes etc it could be OK, but we were not happy, especially considering the price tag P&O put on it. There were also a good number of people like us who were not happy - especially as P&O had advertised the boat with self service evening dinner option. P&O are going to alter their advertising, rather than amend their running of the boat - so you pay your money and take your choice.

Good luck with your choice.

Archived