Cartagena shuttle????

moosa

The catamaran shuttle from the port to the Old City was to have restarted but has not yet. Once it restarts, we'll post the information. From the ship to the port terminal is only a 10 minute walk or 2 minute free shuttle bus. You will see the shuttle dock right where the shuttle drops you off. Don't miss taking advantage of seeing the beautiful grounds, exotic animals and artisan goods and handicrafts at the port terminal.

• 3 weeks later...
The catamaran shuttle from the port to the Old City was to have restarted but has not yet. Once it restarts, we'll post the information. From the ship to the port terminal is only a 10 minute walk or 2 minute free shuttle bus. You will see the shuttle dock right where the shuttle drops you off. Don't miss taking advantage of seeing the beautiful grounds, exotic animals and artisan goods and handicrafts at the port terminal.

Dwight I know you promised to post if there was any news but I remain hopeful, leaving Friday for Miami and still hoping the Catamaran will be in use when we arrive.

kind regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just to get clarification. We take the cruise shuttle to catch either a catermaran or taxi to old city. Is that correct?

Yes, there are shuttle buses on the pier where the ships arrive that will take you for free to the cruise terminal. It is only a 1 - 2 minute ride. From here you can get a taxi, independent guided tours or also catch the catamaran when it starts operating. It is also well worthwhile to visit the grounds of the cruise terminal to see the different exotic birds, other animals, the gardens and also the store of artesian works and other items.

If you don't take the shuttle bus, it is only about a 5 to 10 minute walk from the ship to the cruise terminal. However, it can be quite hot! Pick up a free map of Cartagena from the tourism kiosk located on the pier. Great for walking around the Old Town.

Catamaran service will probably be avaiable by october 2012. It is the fastest way to get to the Old City. You can also grab a taxi or an independent tour at the cruise ship terminal.

Thank you for the information.....I have been told that tickets for the catamaran have to be purchased at the kiosk which is located beside the ship, and not outside the terminal. Is this correct?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Catamaran service will probably be avaiable by october 2012. It is the fastest way to get to the Old City. You can also grab a taxi or an independent tour at the cruise ship terminal.

Does anyone have any updates on the water shuttle?

• 3 weeks later...
It's too far to walk so yes, a taxi is the best way to go.

My DH and I utilize motorized electric scooters. Do you think its possible for us to be able to ride/drive them into the town? They do not fold and are quite heavy. I doubt if they will be allowed to go on the catamaran. I have already spoken with a couple of different tour companies to see if they would be able to accomodate us and have been very unsuccessful.

My DH says to just take the battery chargers along with us and just see how far we can get. Not sure this is such a great idea. We both are a bit adventerous and have done this on a couple of other islands and have done just fine.

Since Cartegenia is a new port for us I'm just not sure.

Hon, this is not an island and it is quite a distance from the pier to the Old City and everything else is even further. Just go online and check a map and you will get an idea. Plus this is a busy working port that you will have to ride thru and I doubt that there are sidewalks everywhere. Could be dangerous too! You are brave but you have to think safety too!

"why are you so against the ship's tours?"

I'll answer this one for myself: The ship tours tend to have very large groups of people -- 50 or more in clot! When they all descend at one time on a site, it becomes impossible for anyone -- whether in that group or not -- to see, learn about, or enjoy the site. If the tours arranged by the cruise lines would limit group size to no more than, say, ten people, I might consider them. As it is, I'll do almost anything to avoid those "tour clots". Just one opinion, of course.

Hon, this is not an island and it is quite a distance from the pier to the Old City and everything else is even further. Just go online and check a map and you will get an idea. Plus this is a busy working port that you will have to ride thru and I doubt that there are sidewalks everywhere. Could be dangerous too! You are brave but you have to think safety too!

I do know that it is not an island. Maybe I should have been a bit more clearer in my original post. But regardless, your answer of it being quite a distance is enough and I thank you for your suggestions.

"why are you so against the ship's tours?"

I'll answer this one for myself: The ship tours tend to have very large groups of people -- 50 or more in clot! When they all descend at one time on a site, it becomes impossible for anyone -- whether in that group or not -- to see, learn about, or enjoy the site. If the tours arranged by the cruise lines would limit group size to no more than, say, ten people, I might consider them. As it is, I'll do almost anything to avoid those "tour clots". Just one opinion, of course.

I also agree, too many people for my tastes. I am usually the one in the back of the pack trying to catch up.

I also agree, too many people for my tastes. I am usually the one in the back of the pack trying to catch up.

Same with us because we are usually busy looking for good photo shots without a herd of people in the way.

• 4 weeks later...

The catamaran shuttle service has not started yet. Meetings are again scheduled for this week to try to come to an agreement between all parties involved. It is a complicated issue so it's not known when or how the service will be offered. We'll post updates as we find out more information.

There have been many changes in the port terminal stores this year. The area has also been classified as a mini zoo with all of the birds, flamingos, miniature deer and other animals. Definitely worth visiting!

The catamaran shuttle service has not started yet. Meetings are again scheduled for this week to try to come to an agreement between all parties involved. It is a complicated issue so it's not known when or how the service will be offered. We'll post updates as we find out more information.

There have been many changes in the port terminal stores this year. The area has also been classified as a mini zoo with all of the birds, flamingos, miniature deer and other animals. Definitely worth visiting!

Thanks so much for the update. :)

We look forward to your update. If the shuttle isn't in service it might help to give us a fresh look on the best method to go to the old city and back.

Thanks.

Archived