Perry Grant Schedule 2012

anniegb

Age has nothing to do with appreciation of the talent. ...

Which is why I said he is talented, but not my cup of tea. I would wager that he appeals much more to people (for example) in their 60's-70's than those in their 30's-40's.

I enjoy plenty of "standards" (Frank Sinatra for example - ESPECIALLY when I'm in Vegas!). It just so happens, judging from the 3 YouTube videos provided, that I am apparently not a Perry fan!!

Tom

All I can say is that he has fans of all ages -- and no video can do justice to his live performances -- if you ever get a chance to see him in person, give his act a try and you may join the ranks of the "perrified".

No doubt that I would drop by and give it a try! I'll sit in on almost anything just to see (well, with the exception of Karaoke and Country music... in that regard I am close minded)! :eek:

Tom

(edit - after seeing the YouTube videos, I do recall him coming up in discussion years ago - perhaps around the time of our Constellation sailing)

Last cruise there were many young folks (much younger than 50) in Michael's Club to participate in Perry Grant's Show. Don't think age has anything to do with it.

I guess since he takes December off, I won't be able to check out the show anyway...

Tom

I grew up in an age where Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Hendrix and others of that ilk ruled my headspace. As a result I haven't got a clue about most of the songs that Perry belts out with such unbridled glee.

In fact, a quick glance around the room when he gets ready to polish up--not polish off--an old gem and he asks us to sing along...well, the clueless looks tell all. I am clearly not wandering alone in the wilderness of his musical choices.

But to me that's a big part of the humor. The audience is in on the joke. You don't simply watch Perry. No, you become drawn into his world, a place where the consummate professional is somehow merged with the impish child who gets away with murder because he's so darned cute and talented.

Sing along? Me? Surely you jest. But the interplay between Perry and guests becomes more and more unique in this globally connected world that somehow seems to be losing its personal touch. And it's that "getting to know you" part that makes him so special.

In a day and age where knock-offs abound (from Vuitton to teenybopper singers and everything between) Perry is a full-on one of a kind. Love him to itsy-bitsy pieces.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

PS...and yes of course we bought his DVD's when we saw him last year (!)

I grew up in an age where Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Hendrix and others of that ilk ruled my headspace. As a result I haven't got a clue about most of the songs that Perry belts out with such unbridled glee.

In fact, a quick glance around the room when he gets ready to polish up--not polish off--an old gem and he asks us to sing along...well, the clueless looks tell all. I am clearly not wandering alone in the wilderness of his musical choices.

But to me that's a big part of the humor. The audience is in on the joke. You don't simply watch Perry. No, you become drawn into his world, a place where the consummate professional is somehow merged with the impish child who gets away with murder because he's so darned cute and talented.

Sing along? Me? Surely you jest. But the interplay between Perry and guests becomes more and more unique in this globally connected world that somehow seems to be losing its personal touch. And it's that "getting to know you" part that makes him so special.

In a day and age where knock-offs abound (from Vuitton to teenybopper singers and everything between) Perry is a full-on one of a kind. Love him to itsy-bitsy pieces.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Interesting - thanks! (Now I think we're missing something on the Constellation!!)

Tom

Rumour on board was that Perry was joining the Eclipse in November - would he then take December off?

Seems to me that no-one can say with certainty what and when and where......only Perry!!

Wonder whether he reads about all the speculation - must be amusing him, if he is.;)

• 2 months later...

Happy Cruising,

Alan

VERY WELL SAID!! There is no one like Perry Grant to allow people of all ages to join in the fun--Just remember to relax, most of these people are never going to see you again, and who are you trying to impress anyway are'nt we all hear to enjoy our vacation and have a great time.

When I have seen Perry perform, I have observed eveyone from the classic "I drank to much and will embarass myself" cruiser to the stuffy "I am better than you all" cruiser join in the fun and festivities and laugh the night away. From the prim and proper ladies placing their hands in position to the embarassed gentleman hiding in the corner turning on the balls, EVERYONE has a great time, joins in the fun and sings the night away. AND if you do not like his performance that is your choice, you do not need to show up for his performance, everyone has a choice that is what is great about cruising, we all have choices/options and we are all onboard for a great vacation. Yes we also bought the CD and started loving Perry in our 30's/40's. No matter what enjoy your vacation, feel blesses to have the opportunity to cruise, relax, meet new people and have a fun safe time.

Which is why I said he is talented, but not my cup of tea. I would wager that he appeals much more to people (for example) in their 60's-70's than those in their 30's-40's.

I enjoy plenty of "standards" (Frank Sinatra for example - ESPECIALLY when I'm in Vegas!). It just so happens, judging from the 3 YouTube videos provided, that I am apparently not a Perry fan!!

Tom

don't think you're right...I'm in my 50's(closer to 60...) and not a fan....he just appeals to different people of all ages....but I'm not one of them...my DH likes him though....so who knows why some do and some don't

I don't think his performance translates well to video. My parents have been on the Connie a few times and raved on and on about him. Last one they bought his CD and showed it to us, and we were like "eh".... I think the energy he gives when he performs is what makes it special. I'm just saying this for those who saw youtube videos ..... it would probably be a whole lot more fun in person.

Sadly, we are finally getting to go on the Connie, and he's no longer there. :rolleyes:

don't think you're right...I'm in my 50's(closer to 60...) and not a fan....he just appeals to different people of all ages....but I'm not one of them...my DH likes him though....so who knows why some do and some don't
I am in my 80's and don't care for his brand of humor at all,don't say it is the old folks choice.:eek:

Archived