Hey Cigar Dude!!

hookedoncruises12

It isn't a Customs issue it is a trade issue.

It is illegal to bring Cuban cigars into the U.S. even if you are transporting them through.

Just buy them here. For one thing they are cheaper, Caribbean pricing is aimed at the U.S. tourists.

I disagree with Canada being cheaper. I was in Victoria, British Columbia a couple of months ago and they were almost twice as expensive in Canada than in St. Martin. RASS#2 in St Martin were $270 USD and $520 USD in B.C. Something to do with your tobacco tax.

Anyway here's the US site for Import Restrictions. That's all I could find. I suppose it is a gray area since you're not really importing them only transitting through the US. There is a big hole concerning transitting through the US with restricted items by non-citizens. I would suggest for a good answer is to write our Customns folks and ask for the no bull answer.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/restricted/cuban_cigars.xml

Thanks but not necessary. Go and have fun! If you get by the Cozumel LCDH tell Michael I said hello.

If you click the link below in my signature (at bottom of page) entitled Legend cruise from this September and scroll through it you'll see the LCDH's I visited on this visit. Among them are the Cozumel and Grand Cayman LCDH.

Well thanks again for sharing all your knowledge. We definitely will have fun and will visit the LCDH on the ports you suggested

As a bit of a connected offside..........Cuban cigars are legal in Canada, where I live. I've often wondered if we could get nailed for carrying them THROUGH the US on our way home to Canada. Our customs form on the ship only asks us to declare anything that will be left in the US; nothing about what we're importing to Canada.

Just an off thought.........does anybody know?

Yup they could pinch you I"m pretty sure. Either bringing ones down for the cruise or back from the islands. Either could be construed as "importing". It might be muddy waters but that's what I have heard.

Russell

• 2 months later...
I've built a list of reputable dealer around the Carib, see the attached list. Cigar Dude usually hangs around the thread called Cigar Aficiandos if you want to get ahold of him. It may take a day or 2 but he usually answers.

S10, you are my hero.:D Is this PDF list current?

• 1 year later...
Ok, we all know that no one would willingly break any US law, so we'll dispense with all that verbage. The cigars anyone buys in the Caribbean are clearly not illegal. :rolleyes:

At any rate...

Cozumel has an LCDH and it's very nice.

Grand Cayman has an LCDH and it too is very nice and well stocked.

Roatan has one at the "old" dock, which Carnival does not regularly use anymore. You will probably dock at Mohagny Bay. It's a 20 minute ride over to the other dock. If there is a ship in dock on the day you're there the LCDH will be open. We were there in September and no ship was at the old dock (which is now a new dock facility with shops everywhere) and the LCDH was closed.

Cancun has one and it's fantastic.

Play del Carmen has one but I have not been there.

Belize has no LCDH so don't even look there.

The Bahamas don't have one either. Go to Graycliff Hotel and get some good cigars that are not Cuban but they're good...and expensive!

Jamaica does not have an LCDH. Lots of fakes there.

That should help you.

BTW, and LCDH is a La Casa del Habano, which are fanchise shops through the Cuban government. You can be assured you're getting the real deal there. Only shop at those shops!

Falmouth Jamaica has a brand new LCDH right inside pier area.

Falmouth Jamaica has a brand new LCDH right inside pier area.

I hope it's nice because it's horribly expensive! I contacted them before I went to Jamaica last year and they told me a box of PSD4's was $450! Wow! I don't want them that bad! That's high for an LCDH. I passed.

regarding Canadians and bringing Cuban cigars into the USA. The rule is no you can not bring any Cuban cigars, rum into the the USA or even carry them through transit. That being said you can bring educational goods, art into the USA and other assorted goods. Not sure how you can say cigars are for educational purposes but .... ..there are ways around it.. cigar teacher:D

You will only ever have a problem with a custom agent, the government department that used to take care of all things Cuban does not exist.. There has been really one one person taken to court in the last 10 years about Cuba,, going and bringing in goods.

I hope it's nice because it's horribly expensive! I contacted them before I went to Jamaica last year and they told me a box of PSD4's was $450! Wow! I don't want them that bad! That's high for an LCDH. I passed.

It was nice but I waited until Cozumel to buy anything. I was looking for a three stick carrier to go with the cigars and all they had was leather and they were very expensive. I didn't even price any sticks.

It was nice but I waited until Cozumel to buy anything. I was looking for a three stick carrier to go with the cigars and all they had was leather and they were very expensive. I didn't even price any sticks.

So you saw Michael in Coz. Nice guy. Prices not a whole lot better but better than the one's in Jamaica!

Me with Michael at the LCDH:

100_3335-1.jpg

So you saw Michael in Coz. Nice guy. Prices not a whole lot better but better than the one's in Jamaica!

Me with Michael at the LCDH:

100_3335-1.jpg

Good man he is. He recommended a nice reasonably priced stick that I had never tried before but the name escapes me right now.

It seems you are the man for answers for Cuban cigars so here is one for you. Are there any shops in Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk, and La Romana Dominican Republic that sell Cuban cigars? Going on a cruise on the Breeze and those are the ports we are going to.

Thanks for the help.

It seems you are the man for answers for Cuban cigars so here is one for you. Are there any shops in Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk, and La Romana Dominican Republic that sell Cuban cigars? Going on a cruise on the Breeze and those are the ports we are going to.

Thanks for the help.

As it turns out, I'll be taking that same cruise in September. The answer to your question is: there is only one LCDH on those islands and it's in Aruba. Not far from the dock as I understand.

Royal Plaza Mall L.G Smith Blvd No.94

Oranjestad, Aruba

cigarorders@littleholland.com

Address: Royal Plaza Mall L.G Smith Blvd No.94 Oranjestad, ArubaPhone: 297 583 8509Fax: 297 588 9611Email: cigarorders@littleholland.com

Address: Royal Plaza Mall L.G Smith Blvd No.94 Oranjestad, ArubaPhone: 297 583 8509Fax: 297 588 9611Email: cigarorders@littleholland.comAddress: Royal Plaza Mall L.G Smith Blvd No.94 Oranjestad, ArubaPhone: 297 583 8509Fax: 297 588 9611Email: cigarorders@littleholland.com

Thanks for the help.

If you are going to La Romana, forget Cubans, go to Tabacalera de Garcia for a factory tour.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147292-d1825500-r101977118-Tabacalera_de_Garcia_Factory_Tour-La_Romana_La_Romana_Province_Dominican_Republi.html

Is it true that they still sell pre-embargo cigars here in the US ?

Supposedly they do but I'm skeptical. If anything they're using a sliver of pre-embargo tobacco inside a normal cigar. Not interested in that.

Wow, a nice thread where useful information is disseminated with very little snipping about "cigars are bad, blah, blah,blah". (it took only three posts for it to get "ugly" in the "Cigarette Prices" thread)

I've been to Churchill's in GC and felt they were a reputable dealer and will be there in about a month. Can't wait and thanks again to all that have contributed, I learned a thing or two.

I have a couple questions. Are there any LCDH's in St Thomas or St Martin? Also, how do you get your Cubans back on the ship??? Just put them in your pocket?

No problem bringing them back to the ship. Getting them back into the States could be a different matter.

Wow, a nice thread where useful information is disseminated with very little snipping about "cigars are bad, blah, blah,blah". (it took only three posts for it to get "ugly" in the "Cigarette Prices" thread)

I've been to Churchill's in GC and felt they were a reputable dealer and will be there in about a month. Can't wait and thanks again to all that have contributed, I learned a thing or two.

While in GC visit Wallace at the LCDH too. He's a great guy!

I have a couple questions. Are there any LCDH's in St Thomas or St Martin? Also, how do you get your Cubans back on the ship??? Just put them in your pocket?

None in St. Thomas as it's US Territory. One in St. Martin in Marigot. Just do a search. I was told it's a bit of a ride from the ship though. I've just put them through in my back pack and sent it through the x-ray machine. Cruise ship personnel don't care but U.S. Customs will if you try to bring them back into the country.

Archived