Lap top computer

AtMaui

I'm on the Regatta next week in a penthouse. When it says "wireless internet connection" does that mean there's a lap top in the suite? I have a BlackBerry and it's not been very reliable lately. Yes, I know I'm on vacation, but the BB never leaves my side (SAD!!). I realize there is a computer center but I thought I saw a photo of a penthouse suite with a lap top on the desk. And, yes, I realize I have to pay for any connection time.

If the laptops on the Regatta are anything like on the Insignia, you might want to bring your own. We had one in the Vista suite and it was programmed for Internet only. If you want to download pictures or do some word processing, bring your own.

Yes, a laptop is included in the Penthouse suite. Whether or not you can actually connect to wireless may depend on your cabin location. On the Marina, we could not get a good signal, so the laptop was basically useless.

If the laptops on the Regatta are anything like on the Insignia, you might want to bring your own. We had one in the Vista suite and it was programmed for Internet only. If you want to download pictures or do some word processing, bring your own.

Similar experience on Nautica in a PH recently. Because of the slow connection, and the cost of minutes, it was easier to use my own laptop that was bookmarked for favorite sites, with automatic login/passwords to save a little time. We quickly gave up trying to upload photos to web sites due to the slow connection. But we did create a desktop file for each day/port, which helped keep photos organized since we had 2 cameras working most days. Another benefit of having your own laptop, if feasible to bring one.

OP - I added an international data plan to my iPhone for the trip (on AT&T). While in port, I felt like that was a faster way to check email, use apps, do some basic web surfing, etc. You may want to see what your carrier offers along those lines. But then be mindful of how much data you're using. When I had a BB I learned the hard way how much data it requires to take a picture then upload it to Facebook from another country!

Had the same type of experience on Marina - had a laptop in our room but wifi was pretty well nonexistent. Ended up going to the computer room and using their wired in computers. Also couldn't even draft an email to copy and paste without being logged in!! Take your own and head for one of the lounges was the advice the computer guru gave me!

Thanks so much for all the good advice. I think I may just take my own lap top and, as cathi said, head for one of the lounges. But I'm hoping my BB will work because it's international and obviously easier to carry than a lap top. And I only use it for email.

As I recall, in the very early days -- Renaissance and Oceania in its first years -- the library computers had Word Perfect installed. I don't recall if the internet cafe computers also had word processing ... no, I do sort of. After WP, Word was available for a while.

And then it wasn't.

My memory could be fallible but I'm pretty sure I'm right here. (Not that this helps anyone NOW. That's why I bring my own laptop along with me.)

Mura

Maybe I've been travelling in the wrong circles or staying at the wrong hotels, but I've never come across a public computer that was set up for private word processing. Is there anywhere where this is being offered? :confused:

some hotels do offer "word" on their computers in the business centre

On Regatta they use to have a word program on the computer in library

I used it to print a letter of appreciation to our favourite waiter with the special envelope ;)

Archived