Parasailing Accident On St. Thomas.

Yes We Can

Two Cruise Ships passengers had been in a parasailing accident on St. Thomas, one fatally injured, the other in critical condition.

Wow, that is sad and scary. We just got of the Dream and did a parasailing excursion in St. Thomas (booked thru CCL), did not have any problems nor were we even concerned about it. The two guys that were running it were very professional and knew what they were doing all the time. Do you know if the shore excursion was booked thru CCL or private?? Just curious...

Wow, that is sad and scary. We just got of the Dream and did a parasailing excursion in St. Thomas (booked thru CCL), did not have any problems nor were we even concerned about it. The two guys that were running it were very professional and knew what they were doing all the time. Do you know if the shore excursion was booked thru CCL or private?? Just curious...

They were not on a CCL ship. They were on Celebrity.

It was a freak accident and they got caught in a strong wind gust.

Not something that can be blamed on the excursion guide at all.

It is sad that the mother passed and the daughter is left in critical condition.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

They were not on a CCL ship. They were on Celebrity.

It was a freak accident and they got caught in a strong wind gust.

Not something that can be blamed on the excursion guide at all.

It is sad that the mother passed and the daughter is left in critical condition.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

My bad....sorry :(

This is very sad. So sorry for the family.

A couple of years ago we were having lunch on the outside deck of the White Horse Tavern in St.George's Bermuda (some of my fellow CC'ers may be familiar with it)...and we were watching a parasail happening right in view, & talking about whether we wanted to do it or not...it looked like fun. When all of a sudden the sail did an incredibly fast swoop down and to the right....very fast...and came within just a few feet of the side of an NCL ship that was docked. I swear it really looked like it was going to slam into the side of the ship. We never did parasail, I was too scared.

:(

I've been parasailing before. Very fun. Last time I went, me and my sister

Sad to hear about death's though.

I'm shocked though that if what you guys are posting is true...

Such a shame people do stupid things like that that could end up with people in danger just for money.

I wonder if this was something arranged by Celebrity or if they arranged the parasailing privately. If celebrity arranged it, they will undoubtably be given the opportunity to be the insurance carrier....by the court

Hi All,

This just in... it looks like it was indeed a Celebrity Shore Excursion...

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/woman-killed-in-parasail-fall-1.1233799#axzz1e0lXwJf1

Also found an entry elsewhere on the Internet (family member) that said that the Daughter (34 yrs) had been air lifted to the US Mainland and is in a comma with severe head injury and burns.

Sounds like these people could use a little help in our CC Best Wishes - Thoughts & Prayers (or Good Vibes... being sent out their way... whatever anyone is into).

To think we all go on cruises with such high & happy expectations (the deceased woman was on the cruise to Celebrate with her Daughter a Milestone Birthday... her 60th)... and now she is gone.

Sad day for sure.

Cheers!

I am sure that the authorities as well as Celebrity's legal team will investigagte all aspects of this tragic accident and the truth will ultimately come out in either criminal or civil court. Let's not try anyone here....

Doubt we ever hear of the Outcome. The part of the internet cruise news that bothers me is we seldom never hear of the outcome from the initial sensational story headline.

Last month we had the sad and amazing story of a dead baby being found by a room steward under the bed on a Carnival Cruise. The baby had been there dead for a few days. To my knowledge never was there a ""follow up story or conclusion"" determining facts, arrests or pending investigations and findings. How can this Really Be??

Just another sensational story that has no conclusion.

The story does make me want to ask Celebrity how much insurance they require of their shore excursion operators...if any. I wonder how one could find out that information....because if they don't require any insurance, and they claim to have no responsibility (in the fine print), then why should we risk going on a celebrity excursion??

One of those freak things happened next door in Pompano Beach when I had my condo down there. Freak wind, drove both people into the side of a beachfront hotel. I think in that one there was one death and one severe injury too.

Very sad. The family needs our thoughts and prayers.

The sensational part of the story has been made. Now it needs investigation ect. Once that is done in a few weeks the story is old and few will remember it. The conclusion maybe buried on page 5.

It is like when a paper runs a front page story then finds out it made a mistake. The apology is on page 17 under an ad for new cars. It is the same with this there may be another story in the investigation but it may not reach us because of the families request or an on going law suit which could take years.

We just returned from the sailing of Nov 12, Celebrity Eclipse. We were so sad to hear about this tragic accident. I have never posted before but feel it necessary. On the day of the accident, we were informed by a 2 minute message from the Captain. Anytime you asked staff or officers about the accident on this day, we were all told "nobody knows what happened or who was involved". There were many people distraught by the accident and the staff and officers walked around in their uniforms that night just smiling away to everyone as if nothing had even happened just a few hours earlier. It was disturbing and I will always remember this about my cruise on Celebrity. People cared about what happened to another cruiser and everything was kept hush hush like it never happened!! Very sad for this family! Thought about them everyday and offered my prayers for their family............

I had booked that same excursion for our adult son last week. It still shows up in our excursion summary -- and it still shows up as an option that can be booked for our sailing (Dec. 17 Constellation). Makes me wonder whether this excursion is being offered by a different company. I guess we'll have a bit more to discuss than football when our son comes to town next week...

Archived