Parasailing Accident On St. Thomas.

Yes We Can

.because if they don't require any insurance, and they claim to have no responsibility (in the fine print), then why should we risk going on a celebrity excursion??

To me this is a strange question. Although I usually do private excursions myself, there are lots of reasons many people choose cruise line excursions. CCers write about this all the time, but I never recall anyone saying the reason they choose ship's excursions is related to insurance. :confused:

Bill

To me this is a strange question. Although I usually do private excursions myself, there are lots of reasons many people choose cruise line excursions. CCers write about this all the time, but I never recall anyone saying the reason they choose ship's excursions is related to insurance. :confused:

Bill

There is an implication that these are "celebrity" tours and have been selected by celebrity as being inclusive, safe with knowledgeable tour guides. Celebrity would like you to believe that the excursions are an extension of the quality that you get on the ship, however, of course in the fine print, they claim no relationship at all. If I was travelling alone and a nervous traveller, I would take the celebrity tours because I would not have to worry....celebrity made sure I'll be in good hands.

I think most of us would feel safer on a parasailing ship presumably vetted by Celebrity or their shore agent...then just wandering and finding some local parasailing outfit. Indeed, I am sure that if this reaches the courts (or I probably should say when, not if), and if the operator was unlicensed or the boat was maintained in an usafe manner, or some other legal problems are found, Celebrity (or it's insurance company) will be invited by the court to contribute to the settlement. If this was a fluke of nature, then all bets are off and it's a normal risk accepted by the participants.

We returned today from the Nov. 12th Eclipse cruise and also wondered as twins0310 did why there was no follow up message by the Captain regarding this tragic accident. Our thoughts and prayers go to the daughter who is still in a coma and to the family who lost a loved one as she celebrated her 60th birthday.

I have parasailed in the past so was particularly interested in what exactly happened. I emailed our daughters at home and they found out more information for us about the tragedy and that's the only way we knew. They didn't find out how it happened. There was not much mention of it on the ship. I read here that they were caught in a wind gust. We actually stopped at the Excursion desk to ask if the parasailing was booked through Celebrity or on their own. They said through them but did not want to talk about it when we asked what happened. My husband commented that he had heard the rope broke and the girl at the Excursion desked said "yes, the rope broke and they had to search for the women in the water."

Very sad. I feel that the ship should have explained more about what happened and maybe at least had a moment of silence for the lady who passed away. Yes, I realize everybody on the ship was there to have a good time but still I believe this tragic accident was in the thoughts of everyone on board.

We also were on the Eclipse when this tragedy happened. I felt they handled it in the best possible manner. The captain announced the accident while explaining the reason for our delayed departure. He informed us of the accident, stating one passenger had been fatally injured and another critically. He asked for everyones prayers for the family and said that Celebrity was doing all they could for them. If he had devulged more information than that when the investigation had probably not even started, he would have only been speculating. I personally feel this would have been unfair to the family to be spreading information that may not have been correct. You could definately hear the sorrow in his voice.

We were returning from our shore excursion, snorkeling at Turtle Cove, and my husband saw a parasail dive into the water. He mentioned it to me but wasn't sure if there was anyone on it, or if they were just bringing it in. Now apparently we know there was. It had starting raining quite hard, came up very suddenly, and the wind was really blowing. Seems like one minute we were in bright sunshine, the next in a downpour. Doubt there was anything anyone could of done.

Doubt there was anything anyone could of done.

If you are on the water, you can see weather conditions....rain/wind doesn't just suddenly appear without giving you enough time to get a parasail down in a controlled way. If the rope broke, even if due to wind, then that clearly should not happen for many reasons.

It is very likely that this accident could have been avoided with a little caution due to weather....and/or with safe equipment. However, we'll probably never know.

DW and I just got off the Eclipse this morning. This tragedy really affected everyone on the cruise. I will say that a few crew members were forthcoming with additional details, but only sparingly. I doubt that the crew was told very much about what happened, especially given the legal ramifications surrounding this accident.

There were a number of stories floating around the ship last week regarding what happened, where it happened, why, etc. But they don't merit mentioning here.

I do agree with the earlier post stating that the captain couldn't mention more about the tragedy without engaging in gross speculation. He was definitely upset, and any captain can understand: regardless of whether you have five passengers on your craft (like me) or 2800 (like him), you never want anything bad to happen to them.

My heart breaks for these women and their family.

I think most of us would feel safer on a parasailing ship presumably vetted by Celebrity

No argument there. But when you say why take a Celebrity tour, I think you must know there are lots of different reasons, most having nothing to do with liability or accidents.

I have friends that ran businesses for cruise ship passengers and they all had to have insurance. I am sure this is the case. But insurance expires and someone must oversee the contracts.

I am so sorry to hear this news, my prayers go out to the family.

[He informed us of the accident, stating one passenger had been fatally injured and another critically. He asked for everyones prayers for the family and said that Celebrity was doing all they could for them. If he had devulged more information than that when the investigation had probably not even started, he would have only been speculating.

I do agree with this poster, as I stated in my post, the Captain did make a 2 minute announcement. The accident had just occurred and it was appropriately handled.

My comment was based on how it was addressed 2 hours later when everyone was out having dinner, etc. It really all does not matter, a wonderful woman lost her precious life and her lovely daughter is fighting for hers, or perhaps not anymore.....We will never know............so sad........

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have supposedly suspended parasailing excursions in the Caribbean indefinitely. My husband and I are booked for a parasailing excursion next March in Cozumel. When I go into my reservation I notice that the parasailing excursion is still being sold.

Obviously, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!

[He informed us of the accident, stating one passenger had been fatally injured and another critically. He asked for everyones prayers for the family and said that Celebrity was doing all they could for them. If he had devulged more information than that when the investigation had probably not even started, he would have only been speculating.

I do agree with this poster, as I stated in my post, the Captain did make a 2 minute announcement. The accident had just occurred and it was appropriately handled.

My comment was based on how it was addressed 2 hours later when everyone was out having dinner, etc. It really all does not matter, a wonderful woman lost her precious life and her lovely daughter is fighting for hers, or perhaps not anymore.....We will never know............so sad........

I don't mean to sound cold-hearted, and I wasn't there so I can't really comment about the direct experience, but I don't think that the crew should be expected to act sullen/depressed/mournful for the rest of the cruise - there are +/- 2800 other pax to tend to. They have jobs to do, and "putting on a smile" is part of their job.

I remember my senior year of high school, a classmate died of cancer on the day of Homecoming. Now, I attended a school with less than 250 students in a town of less than 3000 people - so of course, we knew him well. The Homecoming festivities were discontinued for the morning, as the announcement of his passing was made - but then we started up the lip-sync contests, and whatever other stupid high school things that were involved, that afternoon. I don't think it was handled poorly or inappropriately.

Everyone mourns differently, I guess.

We also were on the Eclipse when this tragedy happened. I felt they handled it in the best possible manner. The captain announced the accident while explaining the reason for our delayed departure. He informed us of the accident, stating one passenger had been fatally injured and another critically. He asked for everyones prayers for the family and said that Celebrity was doing all they could for them. If he had devulged more information than that when the investigation had probably not even started, he would have only been speculating. I personally feel this would have been unfair to the family to be spreading information that may not have been correct. You could definately hear the sorrow in his voice.

Agreed with the statement above from a 'business' perspective that also showed appropriate compassion .

Maybe one of the HOSTS should merge this thread with the original one that announced this tragedy before any other board did:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518395&highlight=eclipse

Our parayers continue to be with the family of the ladies...

I was in St. Thomas on the day of the accident. It was a very windy day. While snorkeling at Sapphire, I noticed a storm heading our way with a parasailing excursion in view. I have no idea if this excursion was involved. I do know that when the storm hit land there were sudden tremendous winds with heavy driving rain. Anyone who was on the beach ran for cover. We stayed it the water near shore to stay warm until the storm passed.

I did hear a comment from someone on our (RCL) cruise that their parasailing excursion was cancelled on Labadee. Now I know why.

I don't mean to sound cold-hearted, and I wasn't there so I can't really comment about the direct experience, but I don't think that the crew should be expected to act sullen/depressed/mournful for the rest of the cruise - there are +/- 2800 other pax to tend to. They have jobs to do, and "putting on a smile" is part of their job.

I remember my senior year of high school, a classmate died of cancer on the day of Homecoming. Now, I attended a school with less than 250 students in a town of less than 3000 people - so of course, we knew him well. The Homecoming festivities were discontinued for the morning, as the announcement of his passing was made - but then we started up the lip-sync contests, and whatever other stupid high school things that were involved, that afternoon. I don't think it was handled poorly or inappropriately.

Everyone mourns differently, I guess.

I do not think you are cold-hearted at all. I feel very sorry for the family affected, and I certainly understand having something like this happen on a vacation upsets everyone to some extent for some length of time. I think some people would be surprised to hear how often deaths or serious illnesses occur on cruise ships. It happens more often that some might expect. There is more 'shock value' in a horrible accident of this type rather than a heart attack or something, but all such incidents are very sad, to say the least.

I think it is only appropriate for the Captain to do as he did - give a brief status of what is happening, and ask for prayers and condolences for the family. To be blunt and at the risk of sounding cold-hearted myself, it is no one's business to know any more than this (with the one exception being anyone who booked or planned to book a similar excursion - they have a right to status on that). One may feel all the sympathy in the world for the affected parties but it is no one else's business exactly what happened or how the injured passenger is doing, or the like. The family has a right to their privacy and their own personal time to grieve in their own way. I think it would have been horrible for the Captain to give out any further information at a later time, save for info on similar excursions.

I have been on a cruise where a crew member committed suicide. The Captain gave a brief status about what happened, using great discretion, and that was that. He did this because it was a water rescue and it was obvious a problem was happening - I am not sure he would have (or should have) said anything otherwise. Everyone felt bad for the person, and bad for his/her fellow crew mates, but in the end the mood on the ship gradually improved and I'm sure most passengers went on to have a great vacation. I have been on a cruise where a passenger had a heart attack and died (or rumor had it). There was no announcement at all, not do I feel there should have been as in this case there was no 'disruption' to schedule or in any way affected the passengers. It was the business of the family impacted, and only the family impacted, and was handled as such. I do not see why the fact that this was an accident would cause some to expect more information.

I believe fellow passengers truly were upset about what happened, and I believe they truly feel sympathy for the family (as do I). But beyond that, some expectation of more information to me walks a fine line between heartfelt sympathy and morbid curiosity. Other than as respects Celebrity's handling of these excursions (of which I am sure he is limited in his discussions until the legal ramifications can be worked out), I do not see what further information anyone would feel would be appropriate to convey.

I do not think you are cold-hearted at all. I feel very sorry for the family affected, and I certainly understand having something like this happen on a vacation upsets everyone to some extent for some length of time. I think some people would be surprised to hear how often deaths or serious illnesses occur on cruise ships. It happens more often that some might expect. There is more 'shock value' in a horrible accident of this type rather than a heart attack or something, but all such incidents are very sad, to say the least.

I think it is only appropriate for the Captain to do as he did - give a brief status of what is happening, and ask for prayers and condolences for the family. To be blunt and at the risk of sounding cold-hearted myself, it is no one's business to know any more than this (with the one exception being anyone who booked or planned to book a similar excursion - they have a right to status on that). One may feel all the sympathy in the world for the affected parties but it is no one else's business exactly what happened or how the injured passenger is doing, or the like. The family has a right to their privacy and their own personal time to grieve in their own way. I think it would have been horrible for the Captain to give out any further information at a later time, save for info on similar excursions.

I have been on a cruise where a crew member committed suicide. The Captain gave a brief status about what happened, using great discretion, and that was that. He did this because it was a water rescue and it was obvious a problem was happening - I am not sure he would have (or should have) said anything otherwise. Everyone felt bad for the person, and bad for his/her fellow crew mates, but in the end the mood on the ship gradually improved and I'm sure most passengers went on to have a great vacation. I have been on a cruise where a passenger had a heart attack and died (or rumor had it). There was no announcement at all, not do I feel there should have been as in this case there was no 'disruption' to schedule or in any way affected the passengers. It was the business of the family impacted, and only the family impacted, and was handled as such. I do not see why the fact that this was an accident would cause some to expect more information.

I believe fellow passengers truly were upset about what happened, and I believe they truly feel sympathy for the family (as do I). But beyond that, some expectation of more information to me walks a fine line between heartfelt sympathy and morbid curiosity. Other than as respects Celebrity's handling of these excursions (of which I am sure he is limited in his discussions until the legal ramifications can be worked out), I do not see what further information anyone would feel would be appropriate to convey.

Very well said. Especially the last paragraph.

Like others my heart aches for the surviving family members. No one plans to send their loved ones on a vacation and not have them return equal to or better than the state they left.

However crucifying Celebrity the captain and/or crew is unwarranted. They neither caused or made the decision for the parties to take the excursion. The only requirement the captain had to passengers was an explanation as to why the ship was delayed in leaving port and from that point getting them safely to other destinations. Seems as if that occurred and as stated all other information was of a personal nature involving the families of the victims. I am sure the emergency contact was treated in an exemplary manner as well as other family members if there were other family members on board It is very sad it happened but unlike those fatalities in the World Trade Center the persons opted to subject themselves to the risk. As my dad always said be it investments or anything else, "consider the worst that could happen and if you can live with that proceed".

+1

When you transport 3,000 people, every week, on what, hundreds of cruise ships, every year...there are bound to be incidents.

It is a matter of statistics. There are always going to be a certain number of unfortunate events, suicides, murders, death by accident (i.e. heart attacks, car accidents, etc)

Its just a fact of life. As long as there are that many people travelling, someone is going to have a serious medical issue, accident, injury, etc...

You have 85 year olds and babies and everything in between, with allergies etc etc.

Most of these shore excursions still involve mother nature. i'm always suprised at how "safe" people sometimes think the world is, especially when they are on vacation.

Every time you snorkel, you take a slight risk that a storm will rush up and drown you, you might have an encounter with wildlife, etc.

parasailing on a little chute attached only to a rope and being 400ft above water, in the prime stormy hurricane season...

If you bungee jump enough times, eventually there will be an accident.

It sounds like the cruise line did a nice job of addressing the situation while still allowing others to enjoy the remainder of their vacations.

Overall its still extraordinarily safe, but accidents can (and always will) happen

When you transport 3,000 people, every week, on what, hundreds of cruise ships, every year...there are bound to be incidents.

It is a matter of statistics. There are always going to be a certain number of unfortunate events, suicides, murders, death by accident (i.e. heart attacks, car accidents, etc)

Its just a fact of life. As long as there are that many people travelling, someone is going to have a serious medical issue, accident, injury, etc...

You have 85 year olds and babies and everything in between, with allergies etc etc.

Most of these shore excursions still involve mother nature. i'm always suprised at how "safe" people sometimes think the world is, especially when they are on vacation.

Every time you snorkel, you take a slight risk that a storm will rush up and drown you, you might have an encounter with wildlife, etc.

parasailing on a little chute attached only to a rope and being 400ft above water, in the prime stormy hurricane season...

If you bungee jump enough times, eventually there will be an accident.

It sounds like the cruise line did a nice job of addressing the situation while still allowing others to enjoy the remainder of their vacations.

Overall its still extraordinarily safe, but accidents can (and always will) happen

Thank you for also saying it so well

I agree, don't think the crew should be acting morose for the rest of the cruise. Then we would have complaints on the board about how they acted.

Also, should point out that the accident happened in the US and due to the privacy regulations under Health Care , the Captain probably did not have a lot of information.

• 3 weeks later...

For the OP commenting on updates after the fact... there is an article on a local paper from PA where the victim's daughter currently resides:

http://articles.philly.com/2011-11-25/news/30441303_1_parasailing-accident-excursion-hospital-room

Mom dies, daughter hurt in parasailing accident

November 25, 2011|BY JAN RANSOM

pixel.gif

MANY vacationers think of parasailing as the thrill of being carried aloft over picturesque beaches, a multicolored canopy fluttering behind.

But for WIP Radio late-night staffer Eytan Shander, who yesterday spent his Thanksgiving in his girlfriend's hospital room, parasailing will always conjure images of tragedy and sadness.

On Nov. 15, Shander's girlfriend of four years, Danielle Haese, 34, was critically injured in a parasailing accident in St. Thomas in which her mother, Bernice Kraftcheck, 60, was killed.

The U.S. Coast Guard is investigating the accident. The Virgin Islands Daily News reported that wind gusts may have been a factor.

Haese sustained injuries to her left side and is unable to open her left eye. She was in a coma for five days, but is recovering at Capital Health Regional Medical Center, in Trenton, where she is breathing on her own, is responding to commands and is expected to start rehab today, Shander said.

"I'm thankful to be able to communicate with her, something that three days ago we were talking about may never happen," Shander, 32, told the Daily News by phone yesterday from the hospital. "You can't have miracles every day, but you have to be grateful when they come."

Haese and her mother had planned the trip for Kraftcheck's 60th birthday, Shander said. He described his girlfriend as adventurous and outgoing. The couple lives in Plymouth Meeting.

"I didn't think this was anything high-risk at all," said Shander, who has been spending eight to 10 hours a day at the hospital.

It has not been a good year for parasailing. There have been at least two other parasailing deaths, and the Coast Guard issued a safety alert in September reminding parasailing operators of precautionary measures, noting that most injuries and deaths are related to failure in the towline and to weather conditions.

Mark McCullough, head of the Parasail Safety Council, told USA Today that parasailing injuries have increased by about 15 percent this year.

Royal Caribbean Cruises, operator of the Celebrity Eclipse boat excursion on which the Nov. 15 accident happened, had advertised the parasailing trip as "an experience of a lifetime," a sport in which the passenger soars hundreds of feet in the air while being pulled by a boat.

In a statement yesterday, Michele Nadeem, Royal Caribbean vice president, said: "All parasailing shore excursions in the Caribbean have been cancelled indefinitely, pending the outcome of the investigation."

Also, remember that not only X, but other cruise lines also canceled this type of excursion:

http://stayingsafeabroad.blogspot.com/2011/11/parasailing-accident-forces-cruise.html (November 22, 2011)

<<A para-sailing accident on November 15 in the US Virgin Islands has forced several cruise-ship lines to stop offering para-sailing as a line-sponsored shore activity.

As a result, Carnival Cruise Lines has suspended para-sailing excursions only on St. Thomas, where the accident happened. Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean International and the Norwegian Cruise Line have also suspended para-sailing.

The para-sailing accident occurred when a mother and daughter, 60 and 34, respectively, were participating in a shore excursion while sailing on the Celebrity Eclipse, resulting in the death of the mother and injuries to the daughter, the latter of whom is recovering in a St. Thomas hospital.

The 2,800-passenger vessel departed Miami on November 12, for a seven-night sailing visiting San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten.

COMMENT: According to USA TODAY, the St. Thomas para-sailing death is the third this year involving North American tourists. In June, a California newlywed was killed and her husband seriously injured off Grand Bahama Island, and a South Carolina resident died off Florida's Longboat Key after the tow boat's propeller failed and the parachute lost buoyancy, plunging him into the water.

Our readers are cautioned that while cruise-line-sponsored shore excursions are not without risks, they are generally far safer than those organized by a handful of passengers. At the same time, cruise-line passengers must realize that safety protocols employed by tour operators abroad are not always compatible those found in developed nations.>>

Archived