Taking spirits on board

Ewoodspark

I have been advised that the X-ray machines when boarding will pick up any spirits by the metal collar. I have been told that passengers however smuggle spirits in plastic bottles in their case. Do the X-ray machines pick spirits up in plastic bottles, or am I just being conned.:p

There have been many many discussions of this topic on this and other forums. Needless to say the cruise lines do not want you to bring your own, and I for one wouldn't :eek: but I have heard that many have used something such as THESE with good results

I have been advised that the X-ray machines when boarding will pick up any spirits by the metal collar. I have been told that passengers however smuggle spirits in plastic bottles in their case. Do the X-ray machines pick spirits up in plastic bottles, or am I just being conned.:p

It's not just the metal collar. Modern X-ray machines can show all the contents of a closed case, because the x-rays are reflected in different ways by objects of different compositions and densities. The computers that work with the x-ray machines then sort this out into a picture, which the machine operator must interpret. Have a look at the pictures on the x-ray machines at your airport if you don't believe this.

So even the plastic bottles used to smuggle liquor on board will show up. However, the operator may simply decide that is a bottle of shampoo or some other legal substance. I'm sure they are well aware of the shape and size of the commercially sold liquor smuggling containers, but go ahead, take your chance if you feel it's important.

if you are caught bringing liquor on board, then the ship's security officers will take you and your luggage to the so-called "naughty room" where they will search your luggage and remove the liquor. I'm not sure if you get it back at the end of the cruise or not.

You are allowed to bring wine on board. You will pay a "corkage fee" for each bottle (this has nothing to do with opening the wine, it's just the name of the fee) and then you will be allowed to enjoy your wine as you wish.

There have been many many discussions of this topic on this and other forums. Needless to say the cruise lines do not want you to bring your own, and I for one wouldn't :eek: but I have heard that many have used something such as THESE with good results

My hubby and kids swear by these :)

We took the Epic out of Barcelona this fall and it seems like the scrutiny there is much less than we saw in NY several years ago. I had a couple of bottles that we picked up in Spain that I was prepared to leave for the week but our luggage, with those bottles was delivered to the stateroom.

if you are caught bringing liquor on board, then the ship's security officers will take you and your luggage to the so-called "naughty room" where they will search your luggage and remove the liquor. I'm not sure if you get it back at the end of the cruise or not.

Unopened/sealed bottles can be claimed at the end of the cruise, providing that you are of legal age. You can kiss your opened/unsealed bottles goodbye.

I believe some luggage just passes through without going through the screening process. To little time to x-ray all the luggage.:)

Thinking back on my cruises, I believe you're right. The carry-on's that you bring with you definitely go through an airport style x-ray system in the port building.

The luggage you leave with the porters at the pier may not get x-rayed at all, since it appears to get stacked onto carts and loaded straight into the ship. Once on the ship they sort it for delivery, don't know if they x-ray it there or not, but they do have the x-ray equipment on board.

Thinking back on my cruises, I believe you're right. The carry-on's that you bring with you definitely go through an airport style x-ray system in the port building.

The luggage you leave with the porters at the pier may not get x-rayed at all, since it appears to get stacked onto carts and loaded straight into the ship. Once on the ship they sort it for delivery, don't know if they x-ray it there or not, but they do have the x-ray equipment on board.

Well they do something with at least some of them. Because my little suitcase/cooler that just had my almost full case of water and a small bottle of milk had definately been into because the bottles had been moved around. it was delivered later than my regular luggage. They probably felt it was OK to go through it without me there since there was nothing in it except what they would see as liquids.

we recently returned from the ncl dawn 11/2 11 night cruise. the 1st night i ran into the line for the naughty room while trying to get to the duty free shops. it was a huge line that wasn't moving and there were alot of angry people. they all got notices on their cabins to report to this area to open there luggage before they could take it to there rooms. almost all had alcohol confiscated in every variety of supposed undetectable containers. i was glad i didn't have to stand in that line my first night, but i wouldn't try to smuggle it on in the first place. also these people had to spend the morning of disembarktion in line again to retrieve their alcohol.

Those people should not be angry at NCL. But people today don't pay attention to rules and gripe if they get caught.

So completely agree with you. The rules are clear and well known.

For the life of me, I can't understand why so many people want to smuggle booze on board. Buying drinks is part of the cost of the cruise. If you don't want to spend the money, then don't drink?

<<sorry, soapbox moment. I'll quit now>>:)

I was recently on the Star and used rum runners to take tequila on board. Two in my pockets and one in my suitcase. My mother's suitcase had a blender and two bottles of margarita mix in it. All bags were deliverd to our room. My case of water with a luggage tag never showed up but they delivered 12 bottles of water to my stateroom to make up for it. The ironic part is that we never opened the tequila and is still in the rum runners in my kitchen and I left the margarita mix on the ship as there was no room in my luggage. First and last time I will smuggle alcohol onboard

I was recently on the Star and used rum runners to take tequila on board. Two in my pockets and one in my suitcase. My mother's suitcase had a blender and two bottles of margarita mix in it. All bags were deliverd to our room. My case of water with a luggage tag never showed up but they delivered 12 bottles of water to my stateroom to make up for it. The ironic part is that we never opened the tequila and is still in the rum runners in my kitchen and I left the margarita mix on the ship as there was no room in my luggage. First and last time I will smuggle alcohol onboard

They won't detect the rumrunners on your person because they don't frisk you and it's probably the surest way to get them onboard. They may not detect them 100% of the time but they do detect them.

Archived