name some good books

usahawk

Right now, I am reading " The Snowman" by Jo Nesbo.

Very suspensful and creepy......:eek:

"loving Frank" was great-story of Frank Lloyd Wright and his mistress or

The Glass House-again a very good book.

And that reminds me of "Glass Castle" ... no one could make up stuff like that.

I thought the book was a fabulous read.

• 1 month later...

We're excited about bringing our new Kindles on our cruise in late January. Those genres are my favorite as well. I highly recommend anything by Michael Connelly, Doug Preston & Lincoln Child and John Grisham. Specifically for page-turning fun, check out "Still Life With Crows" by Preston & Child "Ford County" by Grisham, a collection of brilliant short stories that can be enjoyed one by one. Also, Carl Hiaasen is a fun option, especially "Skinny Dip," which begins on a cruise ship. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
Ok I see alot of people with kindels and alot of people who like to sit back with a good book. I don't read alot but do like a good book from time to time. What are some really good books out there, the kind you can't put down. I prefer true crime-mysterys-and fiction best but would like to hear from others on what would be a good read----Thanks

Then you'll love John Grisham's "Confession." I could not put it down.

I recently bought Bill O'Rielly's "Killing Lincoln." I'll start reading it when I have some time off.

Sarah's key - seriously one of the best books I've read in a long time!:)

I agree just finished it today. It is by Tatiana De Rosnay.

I enjoy 'The Cat Who....' books by Lillian Braun, and any book by Faye Kellerman. For adventure Clive Cussler is always a good read and they mostly involve the ocean, diving etc.

just finished the help and the hunger games trilogy..both great quick reads perfect for a vacation...got my kindle for xmas and i am just plowing through books..bought the girl with the dragon tattoo today..probably start it tomorrow
Dragon Tattoo series is good!

Loved "The Help," too. One of the very best books that I read in 2011 was "Killing Lincoln." I couldn't put it down as it's written as a thriller. I also enjoyed "Unbroken."

The Wedding Gift, by Marlen Suyapa Bodden.

The Last Sin Eater by Francene Rivers, and if not previously mentioned, Redeeming Love by same author.

I like that with my Kindle I can download a sample of a book that is recommended, and I know pretty quickly if it is something that I can "get into".

I have the Kindle 2. Does anyone have an opinion about upgrading to the Kindle Fire? My kindle still works fine even if the battery doesn't last as long as it did at first. I do like the bookshelf effect on the Fire, but I don't know if it would be worth setting aside what I already have. Which one is best for travel?

If you want a great mystery series that takes place in Southwest Florida, then try the Doc Ford Series by Randy Wayne White. His style is a little like Carl Hiaasen. I started the series a few months ago and cannot put it down. Here is a link to the reading order of the Doc Ford series. Just a warning though, once you start the series, you will not be able to put it down.

http://www.randywaynewhite.com/Site2/About_Randy.html

The Wedding Gift, by Marlen Suyapa Bodden.

The Last Sin Eater by Francene Rivers, and if not previously mentioned, Redeeming Love by same author.

I like that with my Kindle I can download a sample of a book that is recommended, and I know pretty quickly if it is something that I can "get into".

I have the Kindle 2. Does anyone have an opinion about upgrading to the Kindle Fire? My kindle still works fine even if the battery doesn't last as long as it did at first. I do like the bookshelf effect on the Fire, but I don't know if it would be worth setting aside what I already have. Which one is best for travel?

Just keep in mind that the kindle fire is back lit like a computer or your phone so if you feel that will strain your eyes and you like to read outside..like say at the beach, you are better off sticking with the kindle 2. I dont feel as if going from the kindle 2 to the fire is really an upgrade since they are essentially 2 different things, an upgrade for you would be like getting the kindle touch. The fire is more of a tablet than an e-reader. If i wanted a tablet id get an ipad. I would need both since i wouldnt feel like reading for hours on a computer screen, also i read alot on the beach so the fire would do me no good, but for checking email and fb on vaca a tablet would be nice.

Most of the books on my Kindle Cloud Reader and in iBooks on my iPad are travel related, and also textbooks or novels recommended by my Professor, or books from past semesters that I really enjoyed. Also I just downloaded a few books dealing with my major Criminology, Sociology and the Behavior Sciences. If I didn't purchase these, crime novels would probably be my favorite.

Some of my favorites...... Lee Child, John Sanford, Michael Connolly, Stephen Cannell, Robert Crais, Harlan Coben, Nelson Demille, Faye Kellerman, even more so her DH Jonathon Kellerman, Laura Lippmann, Sylvia Nobel, Robert Parker,

T. Jefferson Parker, David Baldacci, Linwood Barclay, Joseph Finder, Lawrence Block. These are all fiction in the mystery genre.

DH and I both have had Kindles for a couple of years and I also have iPad2 which is my absolute favorite for indoor reading. DH also has a Kindle Fire which he really likes a lot for indoor reading. What is really great is we can share all of the books accross all four devices but each be reading something different. My Kindle syncs to my iPad so no problem going from indoor to outdoor reading. Same with his two devices, he can sync them to go from indoors to outdoors. :D

There are some great suggestions in this thread; I too like Jeffrey Deaver, Child and Preston, Jodi Picault and many of the others suggested.

But, everyone's tastes are different--for instance I can't stand Romance novels even though I am female--and I love SciFi, even though I'm 66.

I'm currently slogging my way through the Game of Thrones series, on book 3. I love the books and they keep you reading and reading but, *Spoiler Alert* they just killed off some more of my favorite characters--soon there will be no one left with a shred of decency, kindness or honor in the Kingdom!

I also like many YA books. Here's another hurrah for 'The Hunger Games' trilogy.

I gave the first book (actually let her try it first on my Kindle) to my 12-year-old granddaughter for her birthday. She was essentially a non-reader; that is, she read what she had to for school, period. She never read for pleasure. Never.

This one book turned her into a bookhound (Yay! Yay!) It's six month later and she has read dozens and dozens of books--currently the Twilight series and Maximum ride series. Great news for this book-lovin' grandma.

Oh, the power of a good read.

I'm a big Patricia Cornwell fan so anything by her would be a good fit. Presently I'm working my way through The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I'm on book 5, with I don't remember how many more to get through; 20 more I think.

Mine are all on my iPad2 which I take every where, waiting for a bus, waiting to see my doctor or dentist plus on airplanes, etc.

I'm a big Patricia Cornwell fan so anything by her would be a good fit. Presently I'm working my way through The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I'm on book 5, with I don't remember how many more to get through; 20 more I think.

Mine are all on my iPad2 which I take every where, waiting for a bus, waiting to see my doctor or dentist plus on airplanes, etc.

If you like Patricia Cornwall, have you read Kathy Reichs and Beverly Connor? I love these types of books, but can't get enough of them! If you know others like them, please share the names of the authors.:)

Archived