Panama canal question

vfb2girls

This might be a stupid question but does Carnival only run the Panama cruise a certain time of the year? Also does the same ship run this route? My husband really wants to do this cruise and I want to stay with Carnival but there doesn't seem to be many options. Any answers to my questions would be very much appreciated. Thank you

This might be a stupid question but does Carnival only run the Panama cruise a certain time of the year? Also does the same ship run this route? My husband really wants to do this cruise and I want to stay with Carnival but there doesn't seem to be many options. Any answers to my questions would be very much appreciated. Thank you

If you can swing it there are still insides available for the Nov 28th sailing out of California.

Not bad $649pp for a 2 week cruise.

We've done the one on the Freedom that goes to Panama, but the ship does not go through the canal. Carnival has an awesome excursion where you can take a ferry partway through the canal. We did that and loved it. But the ships that go through the canal are repositioning and not a normal itinerary. I am hoping that once the canal expansion is complete Carnival will decide to venture into the canal itself on a regular basis.

As of now, if you want to actually go through the locks on the ship, you'll have to go on another cruise line. I love Carnival but for this one cruise we'll switch to another line. I wish we could have done one of the repositioning cruises this year but we had too many other vacation plans and just couldn't fit it in. Nancy

Thanks for all the replies, we would be interested in the repositioning cruise since we want to go through the canal. I will just keep checking the Carnival site to see when the cruises come out. I am assuming that only a few ships are used for the canal cruise because of the size. And we are not interested in going on another cruise line, we are comfortable with Carnival, know what to expect.

We are loyal CCL cruisers but did the Canal on the Coral Princess in 2007 and had a great time. She went in the Atlantic side and then we took a wonderful train trip to the Pacific side and back. If you go I recommend the train tour as it was very well done with a guide in each car and lunch provided. Gave a great look at the canal, the lake and some of Panama.

But does Carnival still offer this route?

We went to Cozumel,Limon Costa Rica, and Colon Panama last Jan on the Freedom. I think they only offer that sailing once per month. It was a 8 day exotic western.

You do not go thru the canal,but you can take a tour that takes you thru 3 of locks.

Thanks for all the replies, we would be interested in the repositioning cruise since we want to go through the canal. I will just keep checking the Carnival site to see when the cruises come out. I am assuming that only a few ships are used for the canal cruise because of the size. And we are not interested in going on another cruise line, we are comfortable with Carnival, know what to expect.

We're loyal to CCL too, but if you want the adventure of a full transit, perhaps Miami to Los Angeles, consider other cruise lines. We knew we wanted to experience the full transit so we went with NCL. Admittedly, the food was not up to the CCL standard we expected, but the itinerary and transit was phenomenal. :)

Once again thank for all the suggestions, I looked at going through Princess but I just not sure how well we will like cruising with them. As of last night though my husband decided he wasn't 100% positive if we should do a Panama cruise, I of course did the whole eye roll thing!:rolleyes: He does not want to sail in either November or December and from my understanding that is when repositioning cruises takes place. I just might scrap the whole idea of Panama and suggest the doing a southern caribbean cruise. I am thinking I will just book it and tell him later where we are going!

If you've got the time and the money, HAL has 28 day cruises that start in FLL to San Diego, then back to FLL!

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/FindCruises.action?destCode=T&displayMode=advertising

We did Celebrity Millenium from San Juan to San Diego (flew from SD to SJ, then got our car when we got back to port)- 14 day & through the Canal. They had a narrator on board to discribe the history of the canal & locks, which was nice.

But if you want Carnival, Inspiration is leaving soon from FL, & Paradise from LB should be leaving about the same time. I think Inspiration arrives in LB on Nov 28.

The next two Carnival ships to go through the Panama Canal are the Paradise and the Inspiration. The Paradise will leave Long Beach for Tampa on November 28, 2011 and the inspiration leaves Tampa for Long Beach on December 3, 2011.

I looked in 2012 and didnt see it. Cant figure out your links.

Been missing ya.

Those were not links, just a copy from the Carnival website. Here is a link ...

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/SailingSearch/Search2/?dat=012012,022012,032012,042012,052012&datFrom=012012&datTo=052012&embkCode=FLL&shipCode=FD&dur=D2&dest=C

I see at least one person has been really impressed with how helpful you are on this board. :)

Archived