Airport Help. Disembarking Galverston TX

Aussie Jeep

There are two airports for Houston. The largest (and farthest from the port is the international airport IAH Bush (named for the 1st Bush president). The 2nd smaller airport (and closer to the port by about 18 miles) is Houston Hobby. Southwest flies out of Hobby, not sure who else does.

I got off the Magic yesterday. I was in my rental car heading to IAH by 7am. Stopped at Cracker Barrel for breakfast and returned my rental at the airport by 9am. Check-in and security was a breeze. That was probably my smoothest disembarkation in all of my 14 cruises. I'm hoping that my next cruise on the Magic will be just as smooth.

Joanne

There are two airports for Houston. The largest (and farthest from the port is the international airport IAH Bush (named for the 1st Bush president). The 2nd smaller airport (and closer to the port by about 18 miles) is Houston Hobby. Southwest flies out of Hobby, not sure who else does.

Hobby is also served by Air Tran, American, Delta, Frontier and Jet Blue.

I've cruised out of Galveston 11 times and I used Platinum self assist and usually I'm off the ship by 7:30ish. It takes another 30 minutes or so to get through customs, your wait could be longer or shorter depending on how many non-US citizens are in that line.

It will take close to an hour to get to Houston Hobby and closer to 2 hours to get to Intercontinental.

I wouldn't feel comfortable making reservations before noon since you will need to put a 2 hour pre-flight arrival.

I don't like feeling rushed, and I like options so I would probably book a flight out of IAH because you will have more options and since you will be making up time flying west I would look for a 2pm flight. That will get you to the airport with plenty of time to have a nice liesurely lunch before going to your gate.

I got off the Magic yesterday. I was in my rental car heading to IAH by 7am. Stopped at Cracker Barrel for breakfast and returned my rental at the airport by 9am. Check-in and security was a breeze. That was probably my smoothest disembarkation in all of my 14 cruises. I'm hoping that my next cruise on the Magic will be just as smooth.

Joanne

Joanne,

Did you rent your car in Galveston, or was it waiting in a parking lot you were paying for?

If you rented it, may I ask where? They allow drop off at Bush airport?

Thanks,

Bruce4fun

Joanne,

Did you rent your car in Galveston, or was it waiting in a parking lot you were paying for?

Thanks,

Bruce4fun

To the best of my knowledge it is still impossible to rent a car in Galveston, on a Sunday, but when we returned on the Magic, a cruiser had arranged a rental from Avis, Texas City. They will deliver the car to the port.

When we cruised on Conquest we rented a car for 8 days and parked it at the port, just across from the ship, which was a reasonable economical / convenient thing to do. Drop off at IAH is usually allowed at no extra cost.

To the best of my knowledge it is still impossible to rent a car in Galveston, on a Sunday, but when we returned on the Magic, a cruiser had arranged a rental from Avis, Texas City. They will deliver the car to the port.

When we cruised on Conquest we rented a car for 8 days and parked it at the port, just across from the ship, which was a reasonable economical / convenient thing to do. Drop off at IAH is usually allowed at no extra cost.

What did that cost you to rent the car for 8 days and then the parking?

Thanks

What did that cost you to rent the car for 8 days and then the parking?

Thanks

My memory fails me as it was last March, but I paid £119 ($170?) for 8 days car rental. Each way on the shuttle costs $40pp and the parking was very cheap, but I can't remember how much. It was right across the road from the dock and on our return we wheeled our cases across the road and were off in minutes.

I just returned from the Magic also yesterday. I was off the ship and in my car by 6:35 a.m. and home by 7:45 a.m. I live close to IAH airport. I have to say that was the best debarkation ever. Hopefully it will always be that easy on the Magic. That being said I still would not book a flight before at least noon out of either airport.

Car rentals for the 8 days from Hobby are about $225 for the cheapest car. This price does not include the extra insurance. Be very careful when you check prices because the taxes are at least as much as the basic car rental. We are staying at a hotel that allows us to leave the car for the week, and also provides transportation to and from the port. I am happy to hear about those of you getting off the Magic- we have an 12:05 pm flight out after our cruise, we have all carry on (or will), and passports so I hope we can clear customs in a reasonable time. We found that for 4 people it was just about as cheap to rent a car for the week as it was to take any kind of other transportation, and this way we can bebop around (oh dear- that dates me!) on the Saturday night before boarding.

Let me amend my answer just a tad- the price I quoted as the cheapest for car rental is during the last week of March, one of the spring break weeks. I keep getting ads for cheaper rates but not for the week we sail. We use several of the online sites which compare several of the other sites- if you aren't sailing with us you may do better. In that case if you have 4 people it would absolutely be cheaper to rent a car, even for the week, than using a shuttle or anything else we found.

Joanne,

Thanks,

Bruce4fun

I rented my car at the Airport and kept it for 10 days. I believe that I paid $188 including all taxes. (Through Hotwire) Then, I paid $60 for parking at the pier. I had a noon flight and was scared of missing it, which is why I parked at the port and not at the hotel (they had free parking for cruisers).

Please don't do like me and remember to fill up your gas tank. It completely slipped my mind and it costs me a fortune by the rental company. Lesson learned for next time!

Joanne

If you're deciding based on distance from the pier, Hobby airport (HOU) is closest.

If you want a non-stop flight, only Southwest flies nonstop flights from HOU. Continental is the only nonstop carrier at IAH (Bush Intercontinental Airport)

Personally, I like Hobby Airport because there is only one terminal, and the checkin there is easy.

Also - At IAH Airport, the Rental car checkin is not at the terminal. There is a sepearate drop off center, then a shuttle takes you to the terminal.

Hope this helps.

Hobby airport code is HOU and is about 45 -50 miles from Galveston.

George Bush International Airport IAH is another 30+ miles north.

And north of downtown Houston, which even on a Sunday can still be very busy.......

Car rentals for the 8 days from Hobby are about $225 for the cheapest car. This price does not include the extra insurance. Be very careful when you check prices because the taxes are at least as much as the basic car rental. We are staying at a hotel that allows us to leave the car for the week, and also provides transportation to and from the port. I am happy to hear about those of you getting off the Magic- we have an 12:05 pm flight out after our cruise, we have all carry on (or will), and passports so I hope we can clear customs in a reasonable time. We found that for 4 people it was just about as cheap to rent a car for the week as it was to take any kind of other transportation, and this way we can bebop around (oh dear- that dates me!) on the Saturday night before boarding.

Which hotel are you staying at?

Archived