Norwegian Dawn New England Oct 2012

maryandmarge

Just started thinking of doing the 7 day cruise on the Dawn on Oct 12th out of Quebec City to Boston. Can anyone tell me what airport I need to fly into for this departure and how far it is from the place where the ship would dock. We plan to stay in Boston a couple extra days since one of us has a Granddaughter that goes to college there. Do the rental car agencies pick you up at the dock after the cruise and take you to the cars? This seems to be our best choice - because of limited ships doing this area we should probably get our booking in as soon as we can. This should get me started to see how much flights would be and car rental. Thanks in advance for any responses that could help me out. I spent hours on Cruise Critic last year when we took the Pride of American in Hawaii and I can't say enough about all the good info we received on this website.

Quebec has an airport and from what I have read have airport hotels close by. Hotels from the airport area to the cruise dock are apparently about $30.00 (US) so convert, not sure if they are happy about or will accept US currency. Hotels do not have shuttles to cruise ship because the season is so limited. Go to Ports on Cruise Critic, first page and you can learn more. Or use tripadvisor. We are hopefuly taking a cruise out of Quebec later in Oct. (16 day) I think we will need to fly into Newark and then take a short flight into Quebec, we are coming from the NW.

Quebec has an airport and from what I have read have airport hotels close by. Hotels from the airport area to the cruise dock are apparently about $30.00 (US) so convert, not sure if they are happy about or will accept US currency. Hotels do not have shuttles to cruise ship because the season is so limited. Go to Ports on Cruise Critic, first page and you can learn more. Or use tripadvisor. We are hopefuly taking a cruise out of Quebec later in Oct. (16 day) I think we will need to fly into Newark and then take a short flight into Quebec, we are coming from the NW.

Sure we take U.S. money. The only thing I don't know if the cabbies would have the up-to-date exchange rate but considering our dollar fluxuates around $ .07 on the dollar either way up and down, we are not talking about a huge exchange rate.

OP if you do feel the need to exchange some money into Canadian you can do that right at the airport or go to the closest ABM machine and use your debit card (the money will shoot out in Canadian). Also most cabbies in large cities here (and Quebec is a large city) take plastic, I think for any fare over $10. Just ask before you get in.

Keep in mind that if you are siteseeing while there, cabs in Quebec cannot do roadside pickups.

Thanks for all the info - we are flying out of Cleveland and were thinking we would just fly in the day of the cruise because the ship leaves at 8pm. Not sure we can get more time off work to leave on Thurs and tour the area. If we get the early flight on Friday I thought maybe we could take taxi from airport to port and drop our luggage and hopefully walk from the port to see some of the city. Can anyone tell me if this is doable? Is language going to be a problem when we go into the ports - we're from OHio -all we know is English. :) Thanks for any info you can give me - appreciate any suggestions you can also pass along like the suggestion to go to the Ports page on Criuse Critic. I have that on my list of things...

• 3 months later...

We've booked our cruise on NCL Dawn on Oct 12th so we are planning to fly in to Quebec on Oct 11th hopefully in the morning. I've done a lot of research to try and find the nicest place for the most economical price. Since there are 3 of us it limits some of the places we would stay plus we needed a place with an elevator.....after reading reviews of B&B's where people were on the 3rd and 4th floor and no elevator we ruled alot of them out. I think we've narrowed our choices down to Hotel du Vieux Quebec and the Hotel Manoir Victoria. I've seen good reviews on both of them....and according to the map they are only .17 miles apart so location isn't an issue. The cost comes out to almost exactly even for the 2 places (approx. $280 including taxes). I'd love to hear suggestions that would help me make up our choice as I feel the need to get this part of the vacation booked as soon as I can. Thanks much

We've booked our cruise on NCL Dawn on Oct 12th so we are planning to fly in to Quebec on Oct 11th hopefully in the morning. I've done a lot of research to try and find the nicest place for the most economical price. Since there are 3 of us it limits some of the places we would stay plus we needed a place with an elevator.....after reading reviews of B&B's where people were on the 3rd and 4th floor and no elevator we ruled alot of them out. I think we've narrowed our choices down to Hotel du Vieux Quebec and the Hotel Manoir Victoria. I've seen good reviews on both of them....and according to the map they are only .17 miles apart so location isn't an issue. The cost comes out to almost exactly even for the 2 places (approx. $280 including taxes). I'd love to hear suggestions that would help me make up our choice as I feel the need to get this part of the vacation booked as soon as I can. Thanks much

No elevators? Weird.

Sorry I can't help, I haven't been there to stay over since I was a teen.

If your ship is docked at one of the two berths at the Quebec City cruise terminal (which it probably is as the ship is embarking there and not just making a port of call), you will be right downtown and close to everything. You can walk up the hill to the old walled city, or ride the funicular.

If the ship is docked at the further away Coast Guard dock, (not likely in your case), it is about a mile or so walk....

Archived