What to do in San Juan prior to late day return flight?

LarCourt

Our non stop return flight from San Juan was changed to a late day time. I was thinking of changing it to something in the early afternoon. My only concern is what to do with our bags if we stay all day around San Juan. Would like to take a tour or something to burn up the time, but what to do with our bags?

Our non stop return flight from San Juan was changed to a late day time. I was thinking of changing it to something in the early afternoon. My only concern is what to do with our bags if we stay all day around San Juan. Would like to take a tour or something to burn up the time, but what to do with our bags?
We had the same concern disembarking in San Juan last year. We also wanted to take a tour before returning home, but were afraid to leave our bags anywhere because we heard stories about people who had problems there when booking tours with independent excursion operators.

They didn't even realize that things were missing from their luggage until after they arrived home. By that time it was too late to know just where the items had been removed from their bags and there was no way to prove that it had happened in San Juan.

Even if a vendor tells you that it is safe to leave your bags in his van and he will watch them, or that you can check your bags at a local restaurant in town, you just never know who will get into your bags while you are out sightseeing.

But our last time in San Juan on a Celebrity cruise, we booked a tour of the city through the ship on departure day because they handled the luggage differently.

They collected all the bags right at the pier when we disembarked and locked them up securely inside a separate truck. The luggage was never put on the buses or vans with the passengers who were taking tours so none of the tour operators had access to it.

The luggage truck was driven directly to the airport while the passengers went off on our various tours.

After our tour, they dropped us at the airport where our bags were sorted out and safely waiting for us in a separate private area, under the supervision of an armed guard.

We were very pleased with the way they handled the entire procedure and would not hesitate to do it the same way again.

So if you consider booking a tour in San Juan on your departure day through your ship, I suggest that you talk to the shore excursion people first to find out exactly how they handle the luggage of the people taking their tours before you sign up.

Archived