New Orleans Embarkation

My sister left out yesterday she arrived in NO around 11am and it took almost 3 hours in traffic to get to cruise terminal and they parked her in a public parking lot around the riverwalk.

She did say that once parked and at the terminal check in went very smooth, so it looks like more of a traffic issue than RCCL not being ready to process people through.

I hope they can figure out something on how to cut down on the traffic jams before our sailing on 12/10.

Paul

I'm not going back until they do something with the traffic. In both arrival and departure one lane was closed and everything was one way. It took one hour to get from the Hampton Inn Conv. Center to the terminal. Then when we left we had to walk to the opposite end of the terminal, walk outside down the street and cross the railroad tracks with our luggage. It was not pleasant either time.

I don't know if this week-end will be any better. This week is the Southern Classic Football game on Friday. Tons of people come to town. I think the game is Friday, but the folks tend to stay the whole weekend. At least Voyager will be the only ship at the dock.

Each week may get better, but the street design in the area is not great for a lot of traffic. There is really just one street in one direction to do drop-off. After that, there are streets to turn on to get out of the area. Both are quite narrow, so everyone drives very slowly and it bottles up traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

Sat., Dec 3rd arrived at port about 10:30 and we walking onto the ship about 55 minutes later! How can you beat that? There is some lack of organization but they are working on it. Proceed to the door marked Door # 1, find someone to take your bags (porters are busy helping those coming off the ship) and you've got it made. More to follow when internet is cheaper but excellent cruise so far!

Oh I am so happy to hear that they are getting it smoothed out! Our turn next Saturday...and Voyager will be the only ship in port.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post about embarkation!

~Patti :)

Oh I am so happy to hear that they are getting it smoothed out! Our turn next Saturday...and Voyager will be the only ship in port.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post about embarkation!

~Patti :)

Hi Patti,

We would love to hear about your cruise when you return. Feel free to use our Roll Call @ http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1322034&page=18 for the update.

Are you planning any pre-cruise in NO? Most of us are arriving two days before and Pete and I are looking so forward to visiting the French Quarter once again.

Bon Voyage!

Was on the Nov 26 sailing. Embarkment is better however we couldn't find porters to take our luggage so we rolled it on ourselves. As an FYI - 29" does fit in the xray machines and I don't think they wanted to bother checking through the luggage. Many who had their luggaged checked in had their items such as booze wrapped in clothing, irons, etc. confiscated. We arrived around 11:30am and there was no one in the priority check-in line.

For those parking - I recommend the Fulton Place Garage. The Whale lot was full in the afternoon and people were lugging their luggage down the street in the rain. They have plenty of shuttles and busses to take one to/from the port. We parked there pre-cruise as well. Taxi to town $10, Taxi to port from hotel $7pp flat rate.

Disembarkment was super quick. Not sure what time they started walk-offs but I saw people going down the ramp around 6:45am.

Was on the Nov 26 sailing. Embarkment is better however we couldn't find porters to take our luggage so we rolled it on ourselves. As an FYI - 29" does fit in the xray machines and I don't think they wanted to bother checking through the luggage. Many who had their luggaged checked in had their items such as booze wrapped in clothing, irons, etc. confiscated. We arrived around 11:30am and there was no one in the priority check-in line.

For those parking - I recommend the Fulton Place Garage. The Whale lot was full in the afternoon and people were lugging their luggage down the street in the rain. They have plenty of shuttles and busses to take one to/from the port. We parked there pre-cruise as well. Taxi to town $10, Taxi to port from hotel $7pp flat rate.

Disembarkment was super quick. Not sure what time they started walk-offs but I saw people going down the ramp around 6:45am.

Wow! I was unaware that you could "roll it on" yourself. Just to be clear, your saying that due to a lack of porters curbside, you took your luggage with you through the check in process and carried it onto the ship. I assume that you then had to drag it around with you until your room was ready? Did you find this to be a hassle? I have never tried this before just wondering how it went for you. Is it always your option to bring it on yourself, or did this port make an exception for you due to the lack of porters?

Do you have any other tips or recommendations, I will be sailing on the VOS in a couple weeks

Wow! I was unaware that you could "roll it on" yourself. Just to be clear, your saying that due to a lack of porters curbside, you took your luggage with you through the check in process and carried it onto the ship. I assume that you then had to drag it around with you until your room was ready? Did you find this to be a hassle? I have never tried this before just wondering how it went for you. Is it always your option to bring it on yourself, or did this port make an exception for you due to the lack of porters?

Do you have any other tips or recommendations, I will be sailing on the VOS in a couple weeks

Yes. We rolled on a 29", 25" and a carry on filled with softdrinks. It was a first time rolling on a large suitcase. The porters we saw were helping people disembark but no one to take the luggage down to the drop-off point. When we asked they looked confused so we walked on in with our luggage. It wasn't bad really. We just went to the pool deck and lounged in the solarium until the room was ready. I think my biggest suprise is the big piece fit. Apparently there were others who did this because they told us to lay it sideways instead of flat.

We are on the Dec. 17th cruise and will report back.

Quick question though: we bought the stay and park package at the Marriott Convention Center. Should we take a cab from there or is it "walk able"?

I'm assuming transportation but wanted to confirm.

Thx

Quick question though: we bought the stay and park package at the Marriott Convention Center. Should we take a cab from there or is it "walk able"?

Thx

Not sure how easy it is to get through the convention area and out towards the pier but looking on the map, I'd walk it...or at least check it out to see once I got checked in at the hotel.

Thx

I looked at that package but it does not include all nights of the stay and cruise...you end up paying at least one night of their parking rates $31 on top of the package... They did tell me 3 blocks...easy walk.

Archived