Flights from London

Princess123

Can any UK cruisers advise whether you usually use Seabourn to book the flights, or do your own? We'll need to fly out on the day of the cruise, which would be the same whether using Seabourn's flights or booking our own. There is quite a cost difference, but guess Seabourn might be more willing to look after us if anything went wrong with the flights if we'd booked with them. Also grateful if anyone can advise approximate cost of transfer from Rome airport to Civitevecchia port, which would not be included if we arranged our own flights? Thanks in advance.

I don't know about getting airfare through Seabourn but generally I arrange my own airfare because it is much cheaper in most cases to do that. The cost of a private transfer from the airport to the Civitevecchia port will run you from 120 to 150 euros depending on what service you choose. I was told using a regular cab was even more expensive. There are shuttle services that also make the trip but I don't know what they cost.

I used Bob's Limos on our last trip but will never use them again as they did not stand by the quotes they had given me on the Internet. The driver told me and showed me that he had been told to charge a higher price.

Have a great next cruise.

Being looked after by Seabourn is precisely the number 1 reason for including the flights. If there is a problem with snow, fog, or whatever, it will be up to Sebourn to get you onto the ship.

Having said that, we always book our travel arrangments independently and so far, so good. We did London to Istanbul in July with the flight the same day as the ship's departure. All worked smoothly. If its a BA flight, then the earlier the flight, the better.

We have done the Rome transfer with a pre-booked limo which worked well. It was a few years ago but sadly i cannot remember the name of the company.

We always use the Seabourn (SB) air package as they do get net rates especially BA Club & First.

Also remember that in the event of delays, flight cancellations etc (remember last years Heathrow's fiasco with the snow) SB are responsible for getting you there. If you do your own thing trying to save a few bob it'll not work (IMHO) in your favour.

We always use the Seabourn (SB) air package as they do get net rates especially BA Club & First.

Also remember that in the event of delays, flight cancellations etc (remember last years Heathrow's fiasco with the snow) SB are responsible for getting you there. If you do your own thing trying to save a few bob it'll not work (IMHO) in your favour.

I endorse this - and it is not necessarily more expensive through SB, depending on when you book flights. In our case, if we had booked our own flights for our last cruise they would have been dearer, forgetting about the transfers and being looked after if there are problems. However, people with lots of airmiles etc. will possibly find otherwise.

We have done both, using Seabourn and booking our own flights, on the whole we usually book our own, but if the price is right we use Seabourn because should there be a problem with delays etc it is always comforting to know they will deal with it. Also I have to say when we book our own flights we usually arrive the day before to be on the safe side.

I can also recommend Stefano at Rome Cabs (romecabs@yahoo, not sure if this is allowed) He will give you a quote by email. We have always been very impressed with the service they provide.

We normally book our own flights but go the day before.

We flew to Rome this year and then on to Civitivecchi, we booked a room at the Hotel Borgo Del Mar in Civitivecchi and they have a shuttle that runs from airport to hotel. They were very good at the airport on time and then took us straight to the hotel.

Hotel very clean but basic, but OK for an overnight.

The following morning they took us to the docks at a time to suit us.

Would recommend this option.

Have also done both, but this time have boked our own flights:

1. have much more control over time of flights that suit us and choice of regional airport

2. cost much less

3. savings allow two nights at decent hotel before boarding, making the whole thing more relaxing

As far as the worry over airport closures etc - if the airport is closed, it's closed, going with SB isn't going to make it open.

I don't want to tempt fate as we are flying out on 18th December, but I hope the two extra days would give us enough time to re-schedule a flight in the event of some catastrophe.....

Thanks to everyone for the advice, and info on transfer options. I like your way of thinking Flamin June and must admit I am rather thinking the same thing about "if it's closed it's closed". The saving for booking flights ourselves seems to work out at over £200 pp and if we take out adequate insurance we should be covered in case of disasters. Hope all goes well for your flight on 18 December. Bon voyage.

Speaking from experience with Seabourn - book your own. Despite being booked all inclusive from home

to Singapore and return when the airline (BA) did not fly we were told by Seabourn we were

on our own and to find our own way there. So needless to say never again, it is

much less expensive to do you own anyway which we now do.

Hi there we use Romeshuttle services, who were brilliant, we got their name form this board last year, first class, 100% spot on. We book our own flights all the time, it does seem to save quite a bit, best to get the first flight out, I know you get there early but its better than the stress of being late, have fun and enjoy.

Archived