The Pearl Nov 13

roger001

I just got to say, once again...damn I love that ship (and actually NCL). Third trip on her. Wonderful crew, wonderful time. I smile from the time I board until I cry getting off. Food was just fine. Buffet had plenty for all tastes. Bread and pastries were their usual excellent selves. Chilled soups, well several anyhow (that's that thing about not everything is for everyone), pineapple and vanilla beans, and peach and apricot, were fantastic. MDR on prime rib night was excellent. The cut was as good as any, just not cut as thick (but hey...you can ask for more). Service was fine, but I call it relaxed. No hurry, just a relaxed atmosphere. Hey, what's the rush? Wayan, our favorite bartender, hugged us like lost family (he and my wife are on facebook together now). Our previous room attendant from last cruise, working several decks away, called our room or came by each day briefly to just see if he could get us anything. Michael is a wonderful guy. Julie is a great cruise director. Shows (Sharkbait, Oh What A Night) were their usual super enjoyable selves. Last night Encore and all crew on stage was great. Finally siver latitude. Went to that invite. Ships officers all available in receiving line and then each coming by to chat personally, while drinks were poured freely. Crew throughout all so friendly and smiling, kept a smile on my face constantly. Custom omelets out on the Great Outdoors, well great. Those two cooks were the nicest guys. Klaus, the hotel director, all over the ship and always ready to stop and talk. Several time I just stopped him and either pointed out or told him members of the crew that were so wonderful. He said he agrees that he has a great group of team members. Oh, the new captain (the girls LIKE him), frequently available. Capt. Lars is on vacation and then off to the Spirit. Well, really I could go on and on. But I just had to say how much I love cruising with NCL's great folks...and have two more already booked. Oh, I'm still trying to find a noiseless location on deck 11 mini suite. We were under the kid's club this time and until about 10 pm it is noisy from above. Last time we were under the buffet and would get metal cart noise from there. Oh well, not everything is perfect.....but things like that are just minor issues within the total wonderful experience. So there......

Oh, I'm still trying to find a noiseless location on deck 11 mini suite.

Glad you had a fabulous time. Thanks for the review.

You are very right, when looking at the deck plans that it would be very difficult to find a mini without something noisy over it on deck 11. The only ones I see that may be less noisy would be 11056 - 11066 which are under the pool showers and RR.

I was on the same sailing and couldn't agree more! I didn't realize the captain was new. What was his name?

Been captain for about 2 months...and right at this moment....I suddenly can't remember...although an easy first name. He's Norwegian...of course, as he says......but with practically no accent.

Glad you had a fabulous time. Thanks for the review.

You are very right, when looking at the deck plans that it would be very difficult to find a mini without something noisy over it on deck 11. The only ones I see that may be less noisy would be 11056 - 11066 which are under the pool showers and RR.

One thing that I like about the minis that are more mid ship is the large overhang above the balcony. The more forward and aft minis don't have that. That is great weather protection in the event of rain and also is a great sun shade from direct sun much of the day. But yea...wish I could find the perfect "no noise from above" one.

I just got to say, once again...damn I love that ship (and actually NCL). Third trip on her. Wonderful crew, wonderful time. I smile from the time I board until I cry getting off. Food was just fine. Buffet had plenty for all tastes. Bread and pastries were their usual excellent selves. Chilled soups, well several anyhow (that's that thing about not everything is for everyone), pineapple and vanilla beans, and peach and apricot, were fantastic. MDR on prime rib night was excellent. The cut was as good as any, just not cut as thick (but hey...you can ask for more). Service was fine, but I call it relaxed. No hurry, just a relaxed atmosphere. Hey, what's the rush? Wayan, our favorite bartender, hugged us like lost family (he and my wife are on facebook together now). Our previous room attendant from last cruise, working several decks away, called our room or came by each day briefly to just see if he could get us anything. Michael is a wonderful guy. Julie is a great cruise director. Shows (Sharkbait, Oh What A Night) were their usual super enjoyable selves. Last night Encore and all crew on stage was great. Finally siver latitude. Went to that invite. Ships officers all available in receiving line and then each coming by to chat personally, while drinks were poured freely. Crew throughout all so friendly and smiling, kept a smile on my face constantly. Custom omelets out on the Great Outdoors, well great. Those two cooks were the nicest guys. Klaus, the hotel director, all over the ship and always ready to stop and talk. Several time I just stopped him and either pointed out or told him members of the crew that were so wonderful. He said he agrees that he has a great group of team members. Oh, the new captain (the girls LIKE him), frequently available. Capt. Lars is on vacation and then off to the Spirit. Well, really I could go on and on. But I just had to say how much I love cruising with NCL's great folks...and have two more already booked. Oh, I'm still trying to find a noiseless location on deck 11 mini suite. We were under the kid's club this time and until about 10 pm it is noisy from above. Last time we were under the buffet and would get metal cart noise from there. Oh well, not everything is perfect.....but things like that are just minor issues within the total wonderful experience. So there......

We will be onboard the Pearl on Sunday!!! Which bar is Wayan working at and we will give him a "hello" from you. Secondly, what type of drinks were served at the Latitudes Party? I've often just grabbed whatever was being passed around but others have said any drink you request will be made up for you.

We will be onboard the Pearl on Sunday!!! Which bar is Wayan working at and we will give him a "hello" from you. Secondly, what type of drinks were served at the Latitudes Party? I've often just grabbed whatever was being passed around but others have said any drink you request will be made up for you.

Wow, thanks. Tell Wayan, who is presently in the Bliss Lounge, that Roger and Delphia said we miss him already. I believe that rum punch and beer was on the servers' trays at the first lat party in the Spinnaker, but I can't remember for sure. However, at the silver plus party, which was held in the Bliss Lounge, although rum punch and beer was maybe the first drinks offered, yes, you could request whatever from the bar. My wife had a pina colada or two although I stuck with the beer. The event lasted about one hour and then the Bliss was scheduled for something else.

I agree with you - great crew! All were very friendly.

If you don't mind the front of the ship try mini 11010 or 11014/11016. We were in that area and never heard a thing from above. They are very close to the stairs/elevators and are below the Lifestyle and Card rooms, Library or Hair Salon. Very quiet and we had an 8 and 7 year old with us.

Been captain for about 2 months...and right at this moment....I suddenly can't remember...although an easy first name. He's Norwegian...of course, as he says......but with practically no accent.

I believe the Captain was Rune Myer (sp??)

I agree with you - great crew! All were very friendly.

If you don't mind the front of the ship try mini 11010 or 11014/11016. We were in that area and never heard a thing from above. They are very close to the stairs/elevators and are below the Lifestyle and Card rooms, Library or Hair Salon. Very quiet and we had an 8 and 7 year old with us.

Thanks. I would like to stay more mid ship so we get the large overhang over the balcony. However, might have to go forward to get more quiet.

I agree about the Pearl - it is now our home away from home! :) Yes, the officers were frequently available. Talked to several of them throughout the cruise. Klaus handled a situation we had with one particular employee. I completely understand everyone has a bad day, but this person was just downright rude! In five cruises, I had never been treated that way by an NCL employee - Thank you Klaus and Barani!

Missed the chilled soups and the MDR prime rib night. Staff from the Blue Lagoon were kind enough to let us know about the lobster in the MDR the first night. That was very nice - he could have not said a word and we would have missed it.

The group I cruised with won second place in the Sing It If You Know It contest. We all won NCL keychains with blue LED lights. A nice thing to bring home and remember the cruise every time I use it! :cool:

We were slightly disappointed by the White Hot Party - thought it was geared to the "young" crowd. We are all in our upper 30's/low 40's. I actually only knew one song played and didn't dance at all. All of the music was club music or techno-type music. Not the type of music EVERYONE will dance to. Spinnakers was full - standing room only. Only the people on the dance floor were dancing...that whole room should have been dancing. Just my opinion though.

Love, love, love the Pearl! Can't wait to see where we will be headed next!

Glad you had such a great time. I know what you mean about the Pearl. My wife and I are about to go on hear for a second time in 11 months. What a great ship. Only 3 weeks to go.

Your review gave me goosebumps. NCL crew are extra special. You can't understand how much different they are until you sail and NCL ship after sailing others...then it's like

:D

WOW!

We just recently upgraded to a mini~suite on 11 now you have me worried:confused: I'm a very Lite sleeper and hope the noise isn't that bad we have rm 11538~ were you close to that room?

We were 11578 this time. Previously we were directly opposite that room on the starboard side. That was under the buffet area and got metal cart noise rolling across textured floors when the buffet was being set up or taken down. 11538 appears to be at the forward end of the pool area and maybe under the fitness center. Yes...both those areas can be noisy, but you would need to get confirmation from someone who has been up in that area. Unfortunately, there are very few good locations away from noise on deck 11. I take ear plugs and a white noise machine always, if needed. Sorry I can't say definitely no noise. Repost a new thread asking that question. Maybe someone can be specific.

Those of you headed to the Pearl you are in for a treat. I was on the 13th as well. I was also on the Gem, Epic, and Star this year and the Pearl wins hands down. Same provisions make it to the table prepared better then the other ships. Most proactive staff and crew. Enjoy.

We were on the Star last month and were told that Captain Gunnar Hammeron was going to the Pearl. Could he have been the one you are referring to? Crew cut - great smile - sense of humor - etc.

I couldn't agree more. He had a fantastic personality and a wonderful sense of humor.

Here's a picture of Captain Hammeron for a better description.

captain.jpg.27650afba7c20f01eb014eb7fcaae531.jpg

Captain Rune Myre replaced Captain Sverre Sovdsnes in June of 2010. Very interesting man, much different from Captain Lars or Captain Sverre. Captain Rune is married to a lovely lady who among other things is what we would call a CPA. She speaks 6 langauges fluently. I had the pleasure of meeting her on The Pearl for the Panama Cruise from LA to Miami.

Archived