Curious as to your reaction if you found your suite window like this

bajathree

You sound a lot like my hubby; easy going, don't get riled up over the small stuff, roll with the punches kind of guy;)

I would have been flying down to guest services on my broomstick (not really:p). I think you took the right measures...I would have followed up by contacting the hotel manager. In the grand scheme of things it didn't really impact your vacation since you had other windows to look out. Having said that, what I find disturbing is the cavalier attitude that RCI displayed. Shows you where "concern for the customers well-being and enjoyment" lands on the RCI totem pole...somewhere near the bilge:rolleyes:

We sailed on Freedom after the Storm hit it. Our friends had a aft balcony and the panel between balconies was busted out. My friend actually cut his arm on it when he first checked in because he thought it was mirror at first. It took 4 days before they replaced it. They had shards of glass falling from the frame until then and no privacy from the room next door. I would have thought they would have at least removed the frame and boarded it up between sailings. The room stewards did his best trying to keep the glass off the balcony, but it was pointless. With the wind and movement pieces continued to fall. Our friend did ask everyday as to what the status of repair was, and the most the front desk could do was say they would file his request. RCCL did give our friends credit towards a future cruise. You pay for a balcony it should at least be safe and have privacy. Felt sorry for the honeymooners next door.

I find it hard to beleive that the Hotel Director could not block as "out of order" this room, or any others that have major maintenence issues.

I'm guessing that the HD would have to email Miami and let them know there's a problem, then find a cruise where the cabin isn't booked and try to block it. Since the OP got it on a relatively last-minute suite guarantee, it seems that they could have done something like that but chose not to. Not a shining moment...

bajathree.. i just read a review posted today by a passenger in GS 1260 on the T/A who mentioned the window being cloudy, the same as you said. this was, i believe before you sailed. wonder if it has been fixed.

Yep that is the suite.....I would very much appreciate if you would please post a link to that review for me. I have sent an e-mail off to corporate and received a response from them that it is currently under review.

Yep that is the suite.....I would very much appreciate if you would please post a link to that review for me. I have sent an e-mail off to corporate and received a response from them that it is currently under review.

This one doesn't mention the room number that I can see. But it sounds like your room.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=91768

This one doesn't mention the room number that I can see. But it sounds like your room.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=91768

Thank you.....yes...that is the same cabin....it has the cabin # listed at the top of the review:

Member Name: Margo1000

Cruise Date: October 2011

Embarkation: Barcelona

Destination: Transatlantic

Cabin Category: GS

Cabin Number: 1260

Booking Method: Cruise Line

Thank you.....yes...that is the same cabin....it has the cabin # listed at the top of the review:

Member Name: Margo1000

Cruise Date: October 2011

Embarkation: Barcelona

Destination: Transatlantic

Cabin Category: GS

Cabin Number: 1260

Booking Method: Cruise Line

Oh, I see. :o I was looking for it in the review itself.

It's a bit silly they don't just pop that door out and replace it. If they don't have the door or glass available, the cabin should be held back and used to move someone into if they have a serious on board problem with their own room. Anyone booked in that room between now and when they fix it, should get an automatic upgrade since there is usually something available. It really shouldn't take that long to get the door though if one isn't readily available.

It really shouldn't be there as a surprise for someone to walk in and see. I admit I would just keep the curtain over it so I didn't have to see it. But it shouldn't be that way.

Gina

That review was interesting in that reviewer Margo gave a 5 for service but downgraded everything else.

I think that summarizes Royal's game plan: have the crew deliver service so stellar that the customer won't pay as much attention to the food or to cabin maintenance.

I think they've finally hit the brick wall on that in regards to past customers, but who knows what newer cruisers expect? They don't know any better and maybe that's what Royal is banking on.

On our 2008 Med cruise we had a short shower curtain on Brilliance and after repeated requests for a new one, they finally admitted they did not have any on board, and didn't know when they would be getting more. So we dealt with damp floors for 12 nights as it was fairly impossible to prevent any water from spilling out onto the carpet. We had fans the first night and then I said forget it, I'll just request extra towels for the week. So if they can't replace a $3 shower curtain, I'm really not surprised about the glass slider.

Anyone booked in that room between now and when they fix it, should get an automatic upgrade since there is usually something available. It really shouldn't take that long to get the door though if one isn't readily available.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Just upgrade the occupants to an OS, RS, heck, even the PS. Since there are now at least 2 reports of this room, it's obviously been a problem for at least a short while.

i see that others have given you the ship review information. let us know the outcome from royal.

Oh, I see. :o I was looking for it in the review itself.

It's a bit silly they don't just pop that door out and replace it. If they don't have the door or glass available, the cabin should be held back and used to move someone into if they have a serious on board problem with their own room. Anyone booked in that room between now and when they fix it, should get an automatic upgrade since there is usually something available. It really shouldn't take that long to get the door though if one isn't readily available.

It really shouldn't be there as a surprise for someone to walk in and see. I admit I would just keep the curtain over it so I didn't have to see it. But it shouldn't be that way.

Gina

Gina...the damaged glass panel isn't the door....it's a fixed glass panel....in a GS one pair of windows is the sliding glass door...just like in a standard cabin....then the other pair of windows are fixed glass panels. This still shouldn't make a difference as they have to be able to replace glass if it breaks. Like I mentioned in the first post, I was told by the cabin attendant that the replacement glass is aboard and being safely stored...just waiting for the cabin to be vacant to replace. The window was terrible looking...as you can see from the picture I posted...even the cabin attendant referred to it as the "ugly window".....like you, I kept the curtain closed on that window the entire time.

Gina...the damaged glass panel isn't the door....it's a fixed glass panel....in a GS one pair of windows is the sliding glass door...just like in a standard cabin....then the other pair of windows are fixed glass panels. This still shouldn't make a difference as they have to be able to replace glass if it breaks. Like I mentioned in the first post, I was told by the cabin attendant that the replacement glass is aboard and being safely stored...just waiting for the cabin to be vacant to replace. The window was terrible looking...as you can see from the picture I posted...even the cabin attendant referred to it as the "ugly window".....like you, I kept the curtain closed on that window the entire time.

I just meant the entire frame - whether door or fixed window. I wouldn't really take the stateroom attendants word for it. They may not have the proper glass on board, even if they should. I'd like to think they could just replace the window, but if it comes pre-installed in the frame, maybe they don't really have it. No matter what they do or don't have on board, that room should be out of service until they fix it.

I have had rooms with things I didn't like that I couldn't cover up. I remember a JS I had that had a huge stain on the counter top of the desk/dresser. I really didn't like looking at it. I'm one of those who doesn't like to keep a lot of clutter out on the desk when I'm in a room. Everything has it's place - put away. :o Different things annoy different people. This really bothered me...I thought, of all the JSs why did I get this one?

Last month in our grand suite, dirt fell out of the AC vent over the bed - right onto the white covers. It only happened when the ship rocked. I asked them to clean it. What did they do? Change the AC filter in front of the door. :rolleyes: I had explained to them that is was NOT the filter. I told guest services again. Nothing happened. Oh well. It went a few days, I could see the dirt balls in the vent over the bed. The next time the ship really rocked...out it fell on the bed again. This time rather than tell the stateroom attendant (who was quite simple on this cruise) or tell guest relations as I had already done a second time, I called maintenance directly with the single button on the phone. It got done right that time- almost immediately.

Never get a stateroom attendant or guest services involved. I've always had the best luck getting something done with no middle man. Call direct.

In your case, I think you were out of luck. They don't seem interested in dealing with it.

Gina

That review was interesting in that reviewer Margo gave a 5 for service but downgraded everything else.

I think that summarizes Royal's game plan: have the crew deliver service so stellar that the customer won't pay as much attention to the food or to cabin maintenance.

I think they've finally hit the brick wall on that in regards to past customers, but who knows what newer cruisers expect? They don't know any better and maybe that's what Royal is banking on.

On our 2008 Med cruise we had a short shower curtain on Brilliance and after repeated requests for a new one, they finally admitted they did not have any on board, and didn't know when they would be getting more. So we dealt with damp floors for 12 nights as it was fairly impossible to prevent any water from spilling out onto the carpet. We had fans the first night and then I said forget it, I'll just request extra towels for the week. So if they can't replace a $3 shower curtain, I'm really not surprised about the glass slider.

This is a common problem on all ships. Radiance shower curtains aren't quite long enough for the showers. Putting shower doors on these ships would solve the problem once and for all.

So...now on Serenade, we had a JS in August. Why do the mattresses NOT fit the bed anymore? Did they order the wrong size? There was no adjusting the mattress to make it fit. Those beds have the curved corners at the outside at the foot of the bed. The mattresses are curved in too far so that the metal frame is sticking out (with the dust ruffle/ whatever it's called - that blue thing over it) - a bit of an eye sore since they tuck the bed covers under the mattress.

Gina

This is a common problem on all ships. Radiance shower curtains aren't quite long enough for the showers. Putting shower doors on these ships would solve the problem once and for all.

So...now on Serenade, we had a JS in August. Why do the mattresses NOT fit the bed anymore? Did they order the wrong size? There was no adjusting the mattress to make it fit. Those beds have the curved corners at the outside at the foot of the bed. The mattresses are curved in too far so that the metal frame is sticking out (with the dust ruffle/ whatever it's called - that blue thing over it) - a bit of an eye sore since they tuck the bed covers under the mattress.

Gina

We also had this same exact issue with the bed in the GS on Liberty.

We also had this same exact issue with the bed in the GS on Liberty.

These poorly fitting mattresses are stupid.

We were just in a GS on Adventure and the bed was perfect. Although they don't have those silly curved corner beds. It was squared off at the corners like a normal bed. It's an older ship, that must be why. The newer ships must have put the curved corner beds in all the rooms. Which goes back to the question, why don't they order mattresses that fit?

Gina

Gina

I noticed this too on the Serenade last week in a balcony cabin. Definitely an eyesore, and I wondered the same thing: Why not get mattresses that fit???

I noticed this too on the Serenade last week in a balcony cabin. Definitely an eyesore, and I wondered the same thing: Why not get mattresses that fit???

That's probably something we all forget to mention on our end of cruise survey form. By then we are used to it and never think to say anything about it. I know I never mentioned it. But I really didn't like it. It looks tacky.

Gina

On our first cruise in 1989 on the Sun Viking (smallest at the time of RCCL's ships) we had an outside cabin with a porthole. When we we arrived at one port I was asked by the Captain in conversation he initated as we left the ship and just got off; "How are you enjoying your cruise?" I said; "Everthing is fantastic, but my port hole window is so dirty on the outside that I can't see out clearly". :(

When we returned to our room after being in port, the window had been washed. :)

On our first cruise in 1989 on the Sun Viking (smallest at the time of RCCL's ships) we had an outside cabin with a porthole. When we we arrived at one port I was asked by the Captain in conversation he initated as we left the ship and just got off; "How are you enjoying your cruise?" I said; "Everthing is fantastic, but my port hole window is so dirty on the outside that I can't see out clearly". :(

When we returned to our room after being in port, the window had been washed. :)

I think you may have hit on the solution. We all ask the wrong person. We need to ASK THE CAPTAIN! :D

Gina

Oh my. And then the complaint would have been the horrendous smell that suddenly appeared in your cabin.

I think I would prefer a foggy window over a horrendously smelly cabin.

:confused: Ok, so the previous occupants vacate said cabin by 7:00 am at the latest. OP technically won't be occupying said cabin until 1:00 pm at the earliest. The cabin is a balcony cabin meaning it has a door that OPENS = ventilation for 6+ hours. Maintenance surely has large industrial strenght fans on board to assist in proper ventilation (the ones they use to quick dry carpet that has been cleaned due to sea-sick or drunk passengers).

I'm sorry, but I can't see there being any chance of a "horrendous smell". If the room stewards can turn a smoking cabin into a non-smoking cabin in a matter of minutes, they can surely replace a window without any lingering smell. And if for some unimaginable reason there was still a smell, the staff explains to OP what has been done to the window and allows them to drop off any carry-on luggage and asks them to return to the cabin after muster drill thus allowing at least 8 hours to ventilate the cabin.

Just saying. Easy. Shame on RCCL.

:confused: Ok, so the previous occupants vacate said cabin by 7:00 am at the latest. OP technically won't be occupying said cabin until 1:00 pm at the earliest. The cabin is a balcony cabin meaning it has a door that OPENS = ventilation for 6+ hours. Maintenance surely has large industrial strenght fans on board to assist in proper ventilation (the ones they use to quick dry carpet that has been cleaned due to sea-sick or drunk passengers).

I'm sorry, but I can't see there being any chance of a "horrendous smell". If the room stewards can turn a smoking cabin into a non-smoking cabin in a matter of minutes, they can surely replace a window without any lingering smell. And if for some unimaginable reason there was still a smell, the staff explains to OP what has been done to the window and allows them to drop off any carry-on luggage and asks them to return to the cabin after muster drill thus allowing at least 8 hours to ventilate the cabin.

Just saying. Easy. Shame on RCCL.

Having some experience working with caulking compounds it could take days until the sealant cures and the off gassing is pretty strong especially in a closed enviroment.A marine caulking compound is a little more complicated than your houehold latex caulk. Even with the open deck door the air pressure is negative and working against you, that is why a door slams when you have a hallway door open at the same time as the deck door. Sometimes it is "easy" from the easy chair.;)

Archived