Bit of a blog – Navigator of the Seas – E Caribbean – 8 nights – 26th November 2011

Tonight was Mystery Theatre night. I’ve been to a couple of Murder Mystery weekends in hotels back home and was intrigued by how it would work in an evening.

Champagne and canapés on arrival in the 14th floor lounge and the story evolves in front of us. The young cast are energetic and enthusiastic performing with gusto. We are taken down to Portofino in table groups… these are quite large (we are 14).

Unfortunately my dietary request last night had not been forwarded on. That’ll teach me to allow someone else (aka the head waiter last night) to take control of the situation. I’m served with care and attention however this is not the meal I was expecting or had requested. This is not the full Portofino menu. All is saved by the tiramisu which is probably not good for me but I devour regardless. I solved the crime however I had the wrong motive.

Not shown on the menu but we start with appetizers then antipasti.

393629_10150996093115352_617355351_21931047_227391924_n.jpg

Fun cast.

387547_10150996095040352_617355351_21931059_295494528_n.jpg

390129_10150996095805352_617355351_21931066_529826554_n.jpg

382815_10150996096275352_617355351_21931070_1205220067_n.jpg

Enchantment of the Seas is also in town. They have arrived before us and they are not on the same time as us, more on that later.

I had been in two minds originally about going ashore in Labadee (the spelling has been changed to assist with correct pronunciation) as I’m not much of a beach / water sports person. Being sensitive to the recent events in Haiti I soon became educated into the undeniably valuable work that is enabled by the presence of Royal Caribbean on this island and the income that the tourism provides for the islanders and in particular the residents of Labadee.

The ‘International Critters’ group on Cruise Critic have been an active force in assisting with the school founded by RCCL in 2010; last year they sent out school supplies and this year their gift is of musical instruments. Whilst not a ‘Critter’ I became aware of their mission via their English ‘Captain’ Host Elizanessie. I purchased some instruments back in the UK and have brought them with me. I was delighted to be able to hand them over to David Romney, the site manager on Labadee and he will hand them over in a few days to Elizanessie (Liz) when she lands with Liberty of the Seas along with 40 boxes of donated instruments. She will then take them personally to the school.

Had more fun than I had expected today. I walked the resort then hopped on and off the tram that circumnavigates at regular intervals. I want to purchase something to take home from here. The vendors in the shopping village are very aggressive and I decide it helps to speak to them in French…. they get confused at that…. I buy a wooden mask at the indoor market. I then meet up with friends; we lunch on BBQ chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers and ribs; we then spend an agreeable time at one of the beaches… wallowing they call it…. floating around hanging onto beach mats they have hired.

Eventually it dawns on me that I have been out in the full sun for quite some time and that I should cover up and head indoors. There is quite a queue at the security point as Enchantment is due to depart 2 hours before us and they are boarding; well most of them are. On my return to Navigator I head for the pool for a swim. We are so close to Enchantment we can hear their announcements; there are clearly people who have not returned. I hear their horn blow and watch the 2 gangplanks be raised. Then one is returned and eventually some people saunter up and board. The ship is way past its sailaway time. I imagine the delay is caused as they don’t see enough people leaving and don’t realise that we are on different time zones…. but I guess we will never know.

Back in the Main Dining Room this evening the head waiter apologises to me for having messed up my food order for last night. He offers me a complimentary bottle of wine. I ask for a Pinot Noir….. I know nothing about wine but this is a name I know.

Sitting here in my room earlier, typing this up, the Captain is talking over the announcement channel in my room…..a number of guests have reported symptoms of gastro intestinal illness possibly caused by noro virus…. wash hands thoroughly before and after eating for 20 seconds in warm water and enhanced cleaning procedures are being undertaken by the staff.

It's Quest night tonight but I don't make it. I'm an early bird it seems.

Thank you from me also, for posting. We are taking our 6th cruise Jan. 29 on NOS and I have learned very much from your report. That will be our first RCI cruise and I am concerned and excited at the same time. We are sailing with my elderly parents and your post and all CC posts I have been reading have made us decide that I need to be sure my father brings his own manual wheelchair. Also, we have a 5 hour drive to port and we need to leave EARLIER than I thought! Again, thank you.

Am at Sawgrass Mills Mall Starbucks.

Navigator did not reverse down the channel this morning as last week. She sailed straight on in. I went out at 6am and we were already tied up and there was already much activity quayside.

Debarkation was very easy.... notwithstanding the fact that I went to the wrong waiting area.

If you decide to do this post cruise 'excursion' with airport drop off be aware that they drop off at Saks 5th Avenue outlet which is the only place open at 10am. Everything else opens at 11. They have provided a coupon book, map of the mall, small bottle of water and a packet of potato chips. The store has a refreshment table with danish and coffee. You can get into the main body of the mall by exiting the store ad entering the mall through the main exit.... they don't open the gates into the mall from the store until 11.... felt trapped until I saw people wandering about.... the host in the store said they were employees.... tut...

This is largely an outlet mall so whilst the big names are there the choice of items may be limited. I have 50 minutes until pick up and $$ left to spend.... I am flying out of Miami back to Orlando then onward to London.

A bientot.

And thanks for the thanks.... I have enjoyed taking pics and writing stuff down.... helps me to keep track of what I've done and who I've seen. Back in the UK tomorrow morning....

Am at Sawgrass Mills Mall Starbucks.

Navigator did not reverse down the channel this morning as last week. She sailed straight on in. I went out at 6am and we were already tied up and there was already much activity quayside.

>SNIP<

Thanks for all of the pics and posts, Linda !

I loved following along. I would really love to sail Navigator one day. . It sounds like you had a great time !

Radio

;);)

My theory is looking for something free. I know from our Princess cruise experience that a lot of the other people on the cruise were complaining because they wanted a free cruise, shipboard credits or free liquor for the cruise. Their complaints were not geared toward changing policy or procedures for those cruising in the future. Trust me, I heard it all on that cruise. Yes, it was an inconvenience but once we were on the ship, in my mind that was over.

I did not complain on board at all. What I believe is if all remain silent the long lines for people that are ill equipped to handle them, seniors, the infirm, etc will stay. It is the port authority who needs to handle this problem along with RCCL.

What happens when it rains or thunderstorms and there is no where for 2500 people to go?

Think before you post... I never wanted anything from rccl! So stop putting words in my mouth...

Thanks for all of the pics and posts, Linda !

I loved following along. I would really love to sail Navigator one day. . It sounds like you had a great time !

Radio

;);)

Blush. I am in the presence of a true blogger..... thank you so much!

Back to my journey home which is still in progress:

What an @@@@@ nightmare. Coach from Mall to airport stuck in traffic then freeway closed so he had to take a detour. Get dropped off at wrong terminal (his fault) so miss flight to Orlando. Have seat on next one. Will just have time to make connecting flight to Gatwick if I leg it when I get there. G-d bless BA Executive lounge. I have filled up on gluten....heaven knows what that is going to do to my digestive tract but I'm past caring! Just as well I did some shopping in Sawgrass as I surely won't have time in Orlando unless I miss the connecting flight....

I was on the NOS Sailing 11-26 ..........

ok, not to ruffle any feathers (no pun intended ... lol) but I need to share a few things .... I dont want to upset anyone so please just hear me out .......

Yes we waited in a long line for a couple of hours but I feel that this was just a combination of circumstances !! First of all there were 8 (9) ships in port that day, as Linda said we were part of a record ... and then lets not forget that the NOS originally was not even to be at FLL. Thats why we were on dock 29 ....

It is my understanding that they had surprise inspections for every crew member and thats why we all didnt board in the manner that we were used too .... Do I feel that RC should have been better prepared, YES ..... Do I feel that they should have had a back up plan for these things, YES ..... Do I feel that they should have had more staff on hand to help, YES ..... They were trying to hand out cups of water but some people in the line were so rude that they kept coming up and taking the water instead of waiting their turn.

I think that we need to look more into lets hope that RC & FLL learn from this and to be better prepared for the next time these things happen. Like what would we have done if it was raining ??? Our Disembarkment was very smooth and one of the best I have ever gone through and there were 7 ships (i think) in port today. The embarkment of the NOS leaving prior to our cruise and today had no lines.

Personally I was more upset that the food was a little blah, same old/same old and the kitchen was very slow ..... Again I dont wish to down play the situation or upset anyone but we need to look at the big picture and come up with some solutions not just complaining ...........

Anyone unhappy with cruising out of FLL don't book future cruises leaving from that port again. You can bet RCI and the Port Authority get the message loud and clear when it effects their bottom line $$$.

I must say I will miss the lady with the big hat at the Miami port RCI check in. You gotta love a person that starts off their day with a great sense of humour. :D

She is here!! Saw her this morning getting on Navigator at terminal 29!!

Hi Mary! Haven't seen you around in forever. Havea great cruise on the NAV, will be on her in Feb.

Hi Stacy!! It's been a while! Thanks for the wishes ...ship still looks good. No problems at all getting on today. From arrival at terminal 29 to the ship about 30 minutes.

Hi Stacy!! It's been a while! Thanks for the wishes ...ship still looks good. No problems at all getting on today. From arrival at terminal 29 to the ship about 30 minutes.

Excellent, I am glad to hear it. Makes for a nice start to the cruise, I'm sure.

Can you do me a favor and check out the name of the Caribbean band sometime this week? I'd really appreciate it...

What deck are you on?

Hello Linda and everyone else. I was also on this sailing. We were fortunate (?) enough to be in the building as well. Hot, no air circulating, no water and NO COMMUNICATION. A cup of water and a "Hey, sorry about this" would have gone a long way. I think all of us understand that "Sh** happens" but I felt terrible for the people outside. While not a deal breaker, it sure starts a fun trip off on the wrong foot.

The food was ok. Most of the service was wonderful. I filled out the comment card and plan to drop RCI a line with my suggestions on how to avoid problems like this in the future. Anyway, Linda, have a wonderful trip home and I can't wait to see the rest of your pictures.

We had MTD and had the WORST head waiter (the one that Linda mentioned) I've ever spoken to. The only time he looked our way was on the last night:eek::eek: ... by then we were done worrying about it. All in all it was a wonderful cruise and we met some of the nicest people we've ever met!

Hi Linda, - Can't thank you enough for all your observations and tips, as we will be following you next Saturday on NOS for the same cruise. If you're not worn out with this already, here's a question about your post-cruise Sawgrass excursion. What time did you depart from the mall to go to the airport and when did you arrive at the airport? Our outbound homeward flight leaves at 7:30 p.m. Are we going to have a problem?

Hi Linda, - Can't thank you enough for all your observations and tips, as we will be following you next Saturday on NOS for the same cruise. If you're not worn out with this already, here's a question about your post-cruise Sawgrass excursion. What time did you depart from the mall to go to the airport and when did you arrive at the airport? Our outbound homeward flight leaves at 7:30 p.m. Are we going to have a problem?

Hi all,

Am home.... made the original BA flight!

Very happy to continue answering questions. Coach left the mall at 1pm. Would say any flight out of Miami after 4pm is fine assuming you have no issues with security (which I always do!). RCCL say 330pm. This did NOT work for me.

With regards to what my friends said earlier, if you are dining My Time Dining ask to sit in Milan's section. He is wonderful! :)

Will sort out more pics when I am more awake.

Here she is in port yesterday. You can see how clear the pier is.

374267_10151005506870352_617355351_21965905_1543865457_n.jpg

Hi Mary,

What time did you arrive at the pier? Have a great trip!!

Archived